Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs 1800 - ongoing trip reports!! The next installments!! Now with added photos!

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

I spent ages looking for tha appartment as it is quite a rabbit warren

iscream, that's nothing. I once lost my chalet in Meribel and was walking round in ski boots till dark, looking for it. Nobody in the grocery shop knew it (it was mid December and the chalet staff were all new) and the wretched place was like a council estate with every road looking like every other. Eventually decided to knock on the window where a friendly looking group were sitting round, and discovered it was my chalet, but approached from the other side. Embarassed We'd been taken to the slopes in a minibus in the morning, and I hadn't paid attention.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Freddie Paellahead, sounds like a good start to the holiday with some gentle skiing for iscream, in her Marijuana thermals. Toofy Grin

pam w, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Freddie Paellahead wrote:
... fairly extreme cold - luckily no wind to speak of but still around -15C....

Skullie Skullie Skullie
brrr that reminds me why I do not ski in January

good luck Little Angel
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Glad you are having a great time folks. What time did you arrive? We looked for you and didn't bail out down the hill until 17:15 - did we see you driving up at that time, I thought I had spotted you in a car? It's nice to be able visualise where you have been - we did lunch in the Solan yesterday Very Happy

If you get over to Belle Plagne we would recommend the Carlina - esp. on a blue sky day sitting on the terrace Very Happy Not cheap, but truly excellent food - great if you want a special meal - you ski through Belle Plagne on an obvious blue, swing past the first restaurants and head around the back of the buildings towards the Arpette lift and its on the way down on the right, roughly under the Gondola, but the piste isn't named on the map I have. Also, if you get over on the VE, the L'Arpette area over towards Belle Plagne if full of wide open straightforward cruisy blues, great confidence building territory and an easish route to and from the VE all on blues. However, if its a cold day its bloody freezing up there - def. 3 layer thermal territory!! The Bijolin chair lift was one cold experience Skullie .

Back in Les Arcs if you get too cold try the Altiport or Arpette restaurant where they sell something called Xante - a mixture of hot apple juice, cinammon and pear liqueur Very Happy Very Happy Iscream I sympathise with your problems in the appartment block - it is indeed a rabbit warren Laughing Hope you do better than us on your last day - the closest elevator in the appartment block to the underground carpark was out of order on our last day Sad N.B. Don't forget to Validate that car parking ticket either Madeye-Smiley That slope is quite a challenge if you have to drive back to the appartment because you forget to do so!!! I remembered just in time - we had just driven up the slope and I decided that descretion was the better part of valour and walked back to do it!!!

Have a great time - looking forward to your continuing installments in the blog, which I've renamed for you!! Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
HiMegamum, yes we were driving up at about 1715, in fact that's when we were struggling up the last few yards without the chains on - we must have just missed you.
Thanks fro renaming the blog.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
IncogSkiSno, i am afraid that i am the only one without a marjuana thermals so while the others chill rolling eyes i freeze but next time. Meanwhile this appartment thanks to two very excited little boys has been up since 6.30. Foolishly Mrs Paellahead and i thought we were on holiday Laughing Nevermind the sun is shining the snow is fantastic so we are off for another great days skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This apartment is great, everything you need, or almost everything. We were stunned to find out that the Freddie Paellahead signature dish would have to be put on hold due to no paella pan Sad . Freddie was up at first light exploring the supermarkets of Les Arcs in search of the illlusive pan. He will not be beaten Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard E, Tell Freddie Paellahead, to pop down into Bourg, there is a sort of cookshop place in the 'high St' over on the left as you come from the funicular Toofy Grin Or a fair walk to the Super U to the right as you get off the funicular. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks Boredsurfing, it looks like it's a trip down to Bourg then (I haven't checked out the Sherpa in VIllards yet!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Freddie Paellahead, I wonder if going down in the funicular is quicker than driving down, it is a good walk to the Super U if the shop in town doesn't have anything suitable Confused

Lidl in Bourg have something in stock from Today Toofy Grin
http://www.lidl.fr/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_fr/hs.xsl/index_8193.htm
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glad you're all having a good time. Apologies for the lack of a Freddie PaellaPan - have to confess to not knowing what one of those is! I'll add it to the list of stuff I want to buy for the apartment.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
An excellent second day, though still very cold.
I found my way down to 1800 on the free navette this morning to pick up some bread and croissants. We have yet to find a way of getting bread easily Sad - no shops in Chantel.
Our plan for the day was to see if we could get to Villaroger but we knew that Iscream would have to do some of the red on Aiguille Rouge and that this might be a problem.
However the first problem was once again getting Iscream organised to get out of the apartment. Mrs Paellahead and I have had to go through the rigors of getting three small boys organised with all their gear and out to the slopes, but this does not compare with the trials and tribulations of making sure that Iscream arrives at the locker room with all her gear (and is not still wearing her pyjamas rolling eyes )
Eventually we were able to ski down to the Vagere lift and across on Charmetoger to pick up Transarc 2 - we had to squeeze in individually in various cabins.
From there we took the blue Col de Chal. We are mystified why les Arcs appears to have no green runs and this particular blue required more poling than I have ever done on a blue before Sad
We continuse along Valee de l'Arc into Arc 2000. I came to the conclusion that Arc 2000, a bit like LDA, can only be accessed via the excessively flat or black runs (not sure how steep as not attempted... yet).
Richard E and I left the ladies in Chez Eux (yet another good snowHead s recommendation - the ladies ordered themselves a vin chaud each and were presented with pint glasses Shocked ) to check out Aiguille Rouge - up the Lanchette chair and then down the red. We fairly rapidly came to the conclusion that [ b]Iscream[/b] would not yet be ready to tackle this, but Richard managed to "accidentally" to ski past the bottom of the Droset lift and we were therefore "forced" to ski down to the bottom of Plan des Violettes before returning via it and Droset to take reservoir back down into Droset. We arrived at Chez Eux to find two very "relaxed" sisters.
Lunch was now in the offing, and so we skied past Disneyland (arc 1950) down a very pretty run called Cascades. I tried to get Iscream to try face a little more down the slope (rather than throwing her shoulder especially on the steeper bits) and decided that a good technique for ladies was advise them to point both nipples equally down the slope Shocked - this works BTW and then on to the Pre au Gourmand restaurant for a well-deserved bowl of delicious vegetable soup (yet another snowHead s recommend).
After lunch we went up Pre St Esprit (cold, slow and long) back into the Arc 2000 bowl. Yet another walk rolling eyes allowed us to ski down to Bois de l'Ours and thus up to l'Arptette. We came down Clair Blanc and I brought us towards the Arpette restaturant (thinking that more refreshment might be in order - but was disabused of this suggestion) so took the Arpette lift back up again. We came down the first part of Clair Blanc again but then something very significant happened - Iscream did her first bit of a RED RUN down part of Col des Frettes and then on down to the Clocheret lift.
Two significant sightings from the Clocheret lift -
1. A group of twenty (I counted) learners being taught by one instructor and one assistant
2. A very large bird - it reminded me of griffin vultures that we have seen in the Ardeche - largely dark undersides with a light tail tipped with black - any twitchers on snowHead s who know the answer?
From there we came down Clapet - Iscream actually led the way away from the lift much to the rest of our amazement Shocked Mrs Paellahead and I were very happy to recognise this slope as the one on which we have a very treasured piece of video of our boys skiing in 1999. Very Happy
A CRIME HAPPENED HALF WAY DOWN THIS RUN. Iscream tripped me with her pole (there is video evidence) so I became the first faller of the holiday Sad
We then proceeded along Belvedere and back down to the Alpage bar before returning to the flat.

rob@rar, (now rechristened robroy by Iscream for some unfathomable reason rolling eyes ), you may be pleased to hear that following Boredsurfing's suggestion, Richard E and I found our way down to the Lidl in Bourg St Maurice via the buses and funicular - there were no paella pans but Apartment A6 is now the proud posessor of a large deep frying pan which enabled me to cook my signature dish Very Happy

I expect that others may now refute/argue with some of the detail. rolling eyes

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sun 7-02-10 21:59; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Glad you sorted out the frying pan. My biggest problem was a lack of lids on the saucepans - it made cooking things like potatos a long term prospect. A v.large deep pan suitable for enough pasta for 4 would also have been useful. Have I met Iscream? With mention of PJ's in the locker room, but then facing her bust down the hill I am a little perplexed Puzzled

Arc 2000 is probably best accessed from the top of Transarc 2. Of the blues that run down the inner one - Plan des eaux requires less poling. We didn't try Plagnettes - we were going to have a bash at it, but the light was truly flat and I didn't fancy skiing a piste that may have had steeper sections in it effectively 'blind'. Arandelieres (the red from the top of Aiguille rouge) I found a tough ski. From the mid station the blue goes down though if its open (it was closed because of a competition when we did it) so Iscream could take the cable to the top very top and enjoy the view, then descend back to the top of Varet 40 and ski the blues (vallee de l'arc and col de la chal) down to 1950. (NB. I don't know if you continued Arandelieres from that mid station, but the worst of that red is the first 200m that you see from the top, after that its not too bad and mostly of a blue standard). The Bois de l'Ours chair brings you nicely back over to take Aprette (blue) back down.

If you go over to Vallandry the red - Myrtilles is a nice constant pitch of predictable skiing that might suit Iscream if she gets confident enough to want to try a red - it constantly crosses the blues that run through the forest so there is a decent get out every now and then.

Hope you have another good day tomorrow.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hi there, there is a wee shop in the top chantel (at least their used to be) next to the restaurant and ski hire..it sells crossiants, baguettes etc.. however if you are in the bottom chantel it should only be a five min walk straight down to 1800 (the end with the spar) and there is a nice bakery down there as well... anyhoo hope that helps a bit..

not sure about the new buildings though and their proximity to anything.
Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
lcw wrote:
hi there, there is a wee shop in the top chantel (at least their used to be)

Unfortunately it doesn't sell bakery goods anymore. It closed last season (not enough business to keep it going) and this season has re-opened as a bar/cafe which opens at lunch and the evening til late (does nice pizzas).
snow report
If necessary, we used to ski down to 'town' at the end of the day, pick up a loaf or other odd item, pop it in a jacket pocket, back up the Chantel lift and home. Can't be doing with morning shopping. (Admittedly I never buy baguettes, which are usually stale before you're got them home! The good bread shop has some very interesting breads.)
latest report
I can't be fagged to go out in the morning to buy bread, I'm afraid. There's no very reliable bread near to our apartment (there's a wee shop which might well go the same way as yours has done but even that is a little way down the hill and too much effort especially with icy roads) and I have long ago worked out a very efficient system to make it - using a bread maker on the "dough making" setting to do the hard bit, then cooking it in the oven so it's nicely finished (I dislike the output of breadmakers). I bag up nice flour mixes in advance and the whole thing takes no more than two minutes of my time. Baguettes are all very well once in a while but they have very poor GI and they don't keep more than two hours.

Poor rob@rar, having the shortcomings of your kitchen exposed for all to see. No paella pan, indeed! You probably haven't got one of these, either http://www.cutiegadget.com/banana-slicer-the-silly-kitchen-gadget/
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Poor rob@rar, having the shortcomings of your kitchen exposed for all to see. No paella pan, indeed! You probably haven't got one of these, either http://www.cutiegadget.com/banana-slicer-the-silly-kitchen-gadget/

Not at the moment I don't, but now I know the existence of such a life-changing gadget I might well get one! My favourite skiers' breakfast (porridge with bananas and honey) will for evermore be perfectly sliced...

Laughing
snow report
Quote:

Poor rob@rar, having the shortcomings of your kitchen exposed for all to see
Hear, hear. As far as I was concerned, it had no shortcomings. Perhaps it's all the gîte holidays I've had, but I had no difficulty at all improvising with what was available. And I've never had a gîte where one could listen to The Archers while lying in the bath! I can't wait to go back, just loved it.
snow report
Freddie Paellahead, do I take it you're fairly sure your ladies won't be reading your posts ? Laughing Laughing
snow report
Quick Reply
Megamum i am afraid our paths or skis have never crossed yet. Butterfly Yes we do read the posts and i am afraid everything he says is true but the bit about facing downhill does help. I appeared from our room this morning fully dresses in ski pants and jacket before all the others unfortunately i had forgotten to take the pyjamas off rolling eyes Anyway off for another day with less turning less snowploughing more edge control quicker less alcohol (or maybe not rolling eyes )
snow conditions
iscream, Laughing I think all those gnarly mountaineering guys sleep in their thermals, don't they?
snow conditions
Day 3 has been a mixed weather bag - but nothing that stopped the skiing. We had yet another lovely sunny morning and managed to ski more than we originally planned, eventually stopping for lunch at 1600. I had been tasked with route planning today. This is normally a job for Freddie Paellahead so the pressure was on to get it right Toofy Grin

The morning started as usual up Vagere and then a quick blast down to Grand Renard and up to Col Du Grand Renard. The view this morniong was truly wonderful and it's a shame that we don't have the technolgy to post some images to prove it. We were practicallty the first people on all the pistes skied and Freddie has photographic evidence of fresh corduroy. We took the dents du peigne, edelweiss and cascades. We had planned to stop for coffee at at La Bollee but so much progress had been made by iscream that we decided to continue up the Comborciere lift and then drop down to the Arpette resturant for our coffee break (first taste of Xante Very Happy ). After coffee we took three trips up the Clocheret lift and incorporated several sections of the Clocheret red run which did iscream good and gave the rest of us something other than blue runs rolling eyes We then dropped down to 1600 for luch.

During lunch the cloud cover increased so we had much flatter light in the afternoon. Despite this we covered a good distance and enjoyed some lovely snow conditions. I've been told to leave something for the others to report so that's it from me. Cool
ski holidays
Quote:

eventually stopping for lunch at 1600

Richard E, when I read that I thought you'd not eaten until 4 pm!

Sounds like a good day. The snow everywhere seems just terrific at the moment. snowHead
snow report
Richard E's route planning is clearly better than mine because we managed to miss Arc 2000 altogether today and therefore to miss huge lengths of poling rolling eyes .
The forecast had been for cloud so we were pleasantly surprised to find sunlight for the morning, sometimes "watery" but never the less sunlight. Overnight there had been a few centimetres of snow and the pistes were in superb condition.
We were able to leave the aparmtent in time to be at the Vagere chair just as it opened - this was thanks to my emptying the dishwasher loudly in order to rouse the lazy stay-a-beds Twisted Evil

In the course of our circling of the Clocheret chair, genepi texted me to say that she and stiff drink were off on an off-piste adventure - I thinked I wished them well but it's amazinly difficult to text on a moving lift while wearing gloves rolling eyes At one point I heard a lady's voice shouting at iscream, "turn now" (she turned) "turn now" (she turned) etc. - and then I realised that Mrs Paellahead was standing beside me and that she was shouting at herself Embarassed
The morning's skiing was excellent and by the time we arrived in 1600 for lunch (at the 3 Arcs - great views fron the restaurant, food moderately good) we had already covered 11 miles.
In the afternoon, we went up the Mont Blanc chair to do the Mont Blanc run - it was snowing at this stage - and were much amused to watch a group of French military trying to negotiate the slope. Within about 1 minute of the first of them being told to "Allez" there were about four bodies strewn on the ground and another crashed in the trees Laughing The light became progressively more flat butg iscream insisted on continuing to wear her sunglasses rather than her brand new Bolle goggles - she said that she couldn't see with them on but we thought that perhaps she had had too much wine at lunchtime. Richard E eventually offered to swap (the goggle frames were pink Embarassed ) and then realised that the rfeason that she couldn't see was because there were huge scratches on the inner surface which were right across the middle of her vision Embarassed .
We returned to 1600 and exited using Cachette and then took Belvedere all the way to its finish, followed by a bit of Foret and Liaison Grizzly (to the Grizzly lift, funnily enough rolling eyes ). The run down Renard was punctuated by iscream having to learn to dodge (and get in front of) a snake of ski school little ones and she was much impressed to be get to the bottom of Derby before another relative novice Smile
The route back to 1800 was via Maitaz - a bit of a bomb-alley particularly at its final stages. A slow trip up Chantel and down Chantel led us to the Alpage bar. I must say that, although this bar has replaced the (essential) boulangerie, they are extremely welcoming (and have a Happy Hour 5-6pm Madeye-Smiley - we arrived there at 16.45 which means that we should have skied for another 15 mins) wink
With regard to the bread, robroy (wasn't he Scottish and not Welsh Puzzled ), we think that we may have found the solution - we popped into reception in the Alpages apartments and they have agreed to order some for us - we'll see if it's there in the morning!

I would not want anyone to feel that we have criticized the apartment (other than the lack of a paella pan of course rolling eyes ) - the apartment is well-appointed, the builiding facilities are excellent, the beds comfortable and the position in relation to the slopes superb (rob, does that earn me the 15% discount that we agreed earlier wink ).

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sun 7-02-10 22:03; edited 2 times in total
latest report
My day was mixed i did not feel i achieved as much as the previous days but when we were back at the bar analysing my day i realised why i was feeling so kackerd we had probably skied about 20 miles and i had been down part of a red run and several blue runs with tricky bits. So far this week i have probably skied more than all my skiing holidays put together so as i drank my second vin chaud ( it was happy hour Very Happy ) i came to the conclusion that i had done quite well bring on tomorrow.
snow report
A session of deep regression therapy has hleped me recall the most truly traumatic event of the day Skullie
While trying to get iscream to stop turning with her shoulders, I recalled a technique that either euangoneskiing or diverskify gave me. I suggested that she might initiate the turn by pressing on the uphill big toe.
This gave her such a pleasuralbe improvement that iscream described it as "orgasmic" Shocked - not something I thought that I would ever har from my sister-in-law Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
snow report
iscream, usually at about this point in a holiday people have a Really Bad Day and feel like they're going backwards. You're not. snowHead
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Freddie Paellahead, Laughing What are you going to do for her tomorrow................ Puzzled
snow conditions
pam w, Laughing
ski holidays
Megamum and Freddie Paellahead, iscream and Richard E, I'm so enjoying this thread Very Happy I think it's called 'vicarious skiing' and I'm loving it. Please keep on telling us all your adventures and mishaps. snowHead
latest report
With regard to the bread, robroy (wasn't he Scottish and not Welsh Puzzled ), we think that we may have found the solution - we popped into reception in the Alpages apartments and they have agreed to order some for us - we'll see if it's there in the morning!

That's very resourceful! I shall remember that. Hope your order is there tomorrow.

... (rob, does that earn me the 15% discount that we agreed earlier wink ).

Absolutely. On your 15th visit there will be a 15% discount Wink
ski holidays
RachelQ, I was just thinking the same thing, IMO this weeks blog group are telling a far better tale than mine ever was, but I'm really pleased that everyone appeared to enjoy our efforts too. What I'm really enjoying is being able to visualise where they have all been Very Happy We actually solved the bread connundrum thanks to a handy heads up from Rob before we went. We took enough part baked loaves to last the week and baked them in the rather natty little mini oven that Rob has in the Kitchen. IMV his kitchen was head and shoulders over the one we had in our appt in the Oympiades in VT last year, because it had two essentials for me - one was this rather good little oven, and the other was a Kettle!! It also boasts a microwave which is something I really miss when we go to Switzerland. I cooked some quite full meals whilst we were there, we had cottage pie and carrots; steak, peas and fried potatoes; Roast chicken; spag bol X2 etc.

However, I've noticed that team two can't get their system to do any pics. I can't do too many tonight as I'm working away from home on my PAYG dongle, but I'll see if I can pick out a few that show the snow we had last week to try and set the scene a bit for this weeks ongoing adventures. There is a great one of Minimum_2 that BMF_skier took when he found the edge of the piste after it did the deep stuff which I'll see if I can't get posted - Iscream I wouldn't recommend a similar adventure, you'll see what I mean when you see it Laughing

B.t.w. Iscream Don't feel too bad about your shoulders, its my week point too - I get laughed at and called a Gorilla, so as long as you haven't been subjected to similar comments you won't be doing too bad. It took me about 4 days before I started to iron them out and face back down the piste, so you have plenty of time to get it sorted Very Happy
ski holidays
OK, here are some pics to help set the scene for this weeks adventurers, I would like to take the credit for these, but I had better not wink I have gone for full images (rather naughty), but I have re-sized them, I thought the thread might benefit from the full views

We think this is from the top of Aiguille Rouge and not as I have labelled the file in snow media zone

La Plagne

From the top of Aiguille Rouge

Fun in the Powder snow

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 2-02-10 22:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Impressive pics - I love the last one. A bit bleak up there? How far do you have to go to find a tree?
snow conditions
pam w, LOL - he went roaring down the piste racing his sister and I think he overshot a hockey stop at the piste edge doing some speed - I was some distance behind and missed the actual event - though I think at the time I was probably carving some of the fastest turns I've done so far - it felt like I was flying (though scarey might be a better description than 'orgasmic' Laughing ) and actually I wasn't that far behind 'em for once.

Tree wise much of skiing is in the tree line, inc. many of the rat runs home - foret and maitaz being good examples, though these are crossed by some nice reds (hark at me - 'nice reds' LOL), but once above 1800 most of the lifts that do the first half of the slopes finish beyond the tree line. It was bleak the day we took the clouds photo - v. v. cold, even the lifty that morning had warned us to watch the kids as the day progressed as -14 was forecast for the afternoon. We had taken a very cold, very long lift up out of the trees (I think it was Bijolin) and soon realised why we were its only passengers Shocked Once out of the trees the temp. plummeted - def. Marijuana thermals weather. When it gets cold up there - it gets cold!!
snow report
pam w, as Megamum said, Les Arcs has a high proportion of tree skiing (on and off piste) compared to the other high resorts in the Tarentaise and Trois Vallees.
latest report
Megamum, brilliant pic of Minimum_2! Very Happy Fantastic blogging all round. I'm so impressed since I never know where I've been, except in the vaguest terms. Embarassed
snow conditions
Just thought I should report that the morning bread saga seems to have been resolved. We now order bread from the neighbouring apartment block the day before and collect at 8am - there simple really rolling eyes

This morning seems warmer and another few centimeters of snow overnight should freshen things up again nicely. The forecast suggests more snow on Friday.

Planning for the day is still in proogress so more to follow later.
ski holidays
Richard E wrote:
Just thought I should report that the morning bread saga seems to have been resolved. We now order bread from the neighbouring apartment block the day before and collect at 8am - there simple really rolling eyes

Excellent! Thanks for discovering that.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy