Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

All in weekend in the alps for less than £300 is it possible?

Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of a cheeky weekend in the alps on a £300 budget all in, is this possible. I want at least 2 full days skiing, not fussed about location or accomodation, just want to get some skiing in this weekend as i have no money for a proper trip! Any advice or experience of doing something like this?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Should be if you go at the right time, flights could turn out to be expensive though. Try staying in Innsbruck - plethora of cheap accomodation, cheap lift pass covering many local resorts, cheap/free bus travel from city to resorts (many of which are within 20mins drive).

Or try Scotland!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can you wait 'til April?

http://www.skiweekends.com/pages/skiweekends/CoachWeekendPrices.aspx?DestinationId=1&pg2=1020
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you may struggle depending on the weekend you're thinking, whether you have flights booked and what money you spend out there. What do you want for the £300? everything? Are you flexible on weekends or is midweek a possibility?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
altis wrote:
Can you wait 'til April?

http://www.skiweekends.com/pages/skiweekends/CoachWeekendPrices.aspx?DestinationId=1&pg2=1020

That sprang to my mind as soon as I saw the post as did skiweekenders (although their prices seem steep compared to last season - skiweekends looking similar though)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm sure I've read somewhere its impossible to ski for less than £1000pp Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DRHOSKING, Cheap flight to GVA £80, train/bus to Verbier £40 and then stay in the 'Bunker' (£15 a night) Lift pass about £80. Buy food/drink at the Spar (avoid the Farm club) - £260 odd. trouble is, you've left it a little late...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DRHOSKING, for a quickie in Ski Amade via Salzburg you are looking at
transfer €41ish return - 45 mins from airport
b&b accommodation €60 ish 2 nights
ski pass 2 days €78.50
ski hire €23 per day ish
beer €3.50ish
pizza/spag-bol €7-9
I guess anything is possible Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am doing a weekend in a few weeks time in Innsbruck

Flight with board bag -£120
Get to/from airport, parking etc for the car I am in - £10
Transfer to/from Kuhtai - six of us so maybe £30 each (but we could do it on the bus for less)
Ski pass £70 ish maybe
I have my own gear (paid ski carriage in lieu of hire)
Accom is working out at £40 a night (big plush apartment for six)

So excluding spends (beer and tabs) it is £270 ..... but the way the flights work it only give 1 1/2 days on the slope

You could save maybe £50 by staying in Innsbruck and take the free ski bus etc
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's quite expensive (in terms of both money and travelling time) "per hour on the slopes", isn't it? With a group sharing transfers and an apartment it sounds doable though. the only ski weekend I ever did was when work was paying for me to get to Rome on a Monday morning and I "stopped over" at Geneva for a weekend in Les Gets. Still not super cheap, though.

A cheap week is so much better value, DRHOSKING, £600 all in, including instruction, with UCPA/Action Outdoors.

My medical student niece has stayed a few times at a hostel in Chamonix - I've forgotten the name but she says it's brilliant, and cheap. They live on baguettes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ACtually, for short breaks without having to live on baguettes and sleep in a dorm, it's hard to beat mountainsun - http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/view/chalet-hotel-les-melezes
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, it is expensive per hour on the slopes, but the lads I am going with can not get a week off work (one is in the education system) and some of us are self employed or have our own small business so a full week away can be tricky, and the wives also have a say in to too wink . Needs must at times I suppose Sad

edit - probably 10 hours or more on the slopes, one day off work and £30 an hour of ski time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rayscoops, I guess you go at it full belt for those days, to make sure you get max value. A nice big apartment for 6 sounds a good way of doing it, too. The Mountainsun short breaks are good because of their transfer arrangements - it's often the transfer costs which push up the cost of short breaks.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you can book a group of 4, as I often do... Then this is possible:

Fly to lyon or geneva -(friday 5pm ish flights, return sunday on 9pm ish flights) £90 incl board carriage if you share across 2 people.
Hire Scenic, carries 4 adults and 4 snowboards plus luggage. - (£120 total hire) - £30 per head (at least this was the price when we booked our cars- I see prices have gone up consierably since Sept!).
Fuel and tolls, about £10 each at most.
Stay in Bourg St Maurice - rooms about £50 pp each half board per day - £100 total.

Furnicular bourg to Arcs 1600 each morning on your lift pass.

£240 to get there and stay. Full day saturday, and normally get 4pm furnicular on Sunday off the hill to get back in time for flights.

Lift pass probably pushes you over the £300 barrier thou.

Lunch time food - we always eat at the 'Pie Huts' dotted around les arcs - €3.50 for a chunk of pie that sees you through the day.

Then its beer tokens after that!

Actually, we normally do Friday through tuesday and get 4 days for about £340 for travel and lodging. And only 2 days off work to boot! (With a liberal interpretation of being at work on Friday afternoon)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, was it the Vagabond?
snow report
doubt it would be possible in reality, booked a UCPA weekend, so dirt cheap and reckoning for £400/500 at least though we will get in 3 days skiing rather than 2
snow report
We managed 3 days skiing (Wed/Thur/Fri) in Chamonix for £550 for 2 of us, so that works out at £275 each. not including beer and foor.
snow conditions
pam w, it is all about convenience and speed for me really, Innsbruck airport has local slopes just 10 minutes taxi drive away (which are great for day of travel) but the resort I am going to is 30km away with the apartment being just 2 minutes walk from the lift. Innsbruck is a 'one plane in, one plane out' single run way airport so it is quick to get your bags and clear customs (maybe only 20 minutes to clear the airport the few times I have been there) so I am likely to be on the piste before noon on my day of travel Very Happy Other places I would do this is Morzine/Cham etc from Geneva, and (if there were flights from the West of UK) Salzburg to a load of resorts in that region.
snow report
rayscoops wrote:
I am doing a weekend in a few weeks time in Innsbruck

Flight with board bag -£120
Get to/from airport, parking etc for the car I am in - £10
Transfer to/from Kuhtai - six of us so maybe £30 each (but we could do it on the bus for less)
Ski pass £70 ish maybe
I have my own gear (paid ski carriage in lieu of hire)
Accom is working out at £40 a night (big plush apartment for six)

So excluding spends (beer and tabs) it is £270 ..... but the way the flights work it only give 1 1/2 days on the slope

You could save maybe £50 by staying in Innsbruck and take the free ski bus etc

It could end up being about £500 quid then. I've seen you on the cocktails remember........ wink
ski holidays
I recon... average flight price ish kinda maybe £120 return to Salzburg with gear
€42 return transfers
€80 for 2 nights half-board
€78.50 lift pass

That comes to about £300
ski holidays
just got back from a weekender to St Anton, stayed with friends, 3 days skiing, 2 nights apres, return flights to Innsbruck, train transfer - total 600 GBP!!!!!
ski holidays
Timberwolf, the scary thing is that in the group of six, I am ranked at best fourth in the beer drinking league, with a couple of 20 stone props at the top, Shocked
latest report
whats Kuhtai like for boardes? rayscoops,

thebrownslug, I feel your pain. I did a week and Im too scared to look at my bank statement...
snow conditions
rayscoops wrote:
Timberwolf, the scary thing is that in the group of six, I am ranked at best fourth in the beer drinking league, with a couple of 20 stone props at the top, Shocked

Nice to see the front row boys keeping up with tradition Laughing
ski holidays
Nadenoodlee, excellent, valley resort with only 40 km of piste but great lift system and very quiet (this season the pass covers another area accessed by free bus), it is above tree level (moon scape) with open rolling mountains (rather than cliffs etc) and is quite famous for safe off/between piste.
http://www.schneegarantie.at/panotour/pano/ort.html
http://www.schneegarantie.at/index.php?id=3&L=1

snow conditions
How about thinking of Italy? Going there next week for a weekend. You can get Turin flights very cheap (£50 rtn when I looked but dreadful flight times), then a hire car for a weekend (£30 each say). HB for £60/night at somewhere like Hotel Castor in Champoluc, Monterosa ski pass £30/day, beer and food cheaper than big French resorts. You might scrape in at £300.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy