Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

An idea for Ryan Air and other budget airlines.

Poster: A snowHead
I know this is not new but it is one of those issues that sometimes annoys me a little.

Different airlines operate different baggage policies. 15KG, 20KG and occasionally more! I often travel light and just take hand luggage, but when travelling with our daughter for longer holidays old we may struggle to keep under weight restrictions and endure the ‘will it be OK’ nerves as we queue for check in. I have never been over and often sacrifice my own ‘luxuries’ to keep the weight down.

I appreciate that airlines need to keep weight limits but what is frustrating is that I get the same baggage allowance as the 20 stone lump stood right behind me. Now I stand to be corrected but I have not seen that many skiers that possibly weigh 15-20 stone. Therefore they should take our total weight including, boots, skis, hand luggage, normal luggage and body mass as a total weight. This applies not just to ski holidays bit to all air travel. If you’re too fat you pay more. That way I can travel worry free with whatever I may need.

Please do not call the fat police this is in part tongue in cheek.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In an ideal world. Can't see it happening though.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's horribly fattist. The only form of discrimination that's still socially acceptable. But I do see your point. Quibbling about a few kilo of baggage here and there loses all sense with a plane load of 100kg lardies.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I believe it has already been tried in America but did'nt get off the ground ? (The idea that is, not the plane).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Conversely, if introduced, I might be tempted to recruit a team of 2-year-old couriers, each of whom would carry 60kg of luggage .... producing an instant .... airfreight business.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree, but what if you're really tall? Seems a little unfair.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
queen bodecia, actually it reverses the financial discrimination against thin people - who are currently forced to pay extra to subsidise fuel needed to carry fat people... wink

I have been weighed with my baggage when flying in small planes in Canada. If you are landing on a gravel strip and visability is poor, weight becomes quite important. On one occasion they looked at our weight - and then asked us which of our bags we wanted to leave to come up on the next flight Toofy Grin
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

It's horribly fattist

True - but in most cases its more a case of ..................... Fill in your own choice of words.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
What is the average weight of an adult? About 75kg?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If Ryanair charged by weight of each person they'd go out of business. The fat-chav market is the base of their BP
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen bodecia wrote:
It's horribly fattist. The only form of discrimination that's still socially acceptable. But I do see your point. Quibbling about a few kilo of baggage here and there loses all sense with a plane load of 100kg lardies.

Hang on a minute, I weigh about 100kg and I'm far from a 'lardy' Cool
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

It's horribly fattist. The only form of discrimination that's still socially acceptable

Thank Christ. It pisses me of when Gok Wan, Mika, etc try and tell people it's ok to be fat. No it isn't - maybe if people stopped telling them it's ok all the pork pie shops may lose a few tonnes and save themselves from almost inevitable heart attacks.

PS The total weight thing sounds liek an excellent idea to me!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am about 80-82kg (diet and exercise depending) and 6ft tall. My BMI and FAT% are OK. So in my world the target should be set at about 108Kg or 17 stone plus baggage of 20kg. That provides plenty of flexibility. Otherwise there should be a sliding scale depending on height and whether pregnant.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why? If someone is pregnant, that is (usually) their choice, why should someone else pay fot it? Same if someone is hugely muscled from the gym. Height-wise I can understand - so maybe do it with body mass indexes (is that indae?) and percentages or something - if you're more than 5/10% over your BMI you get charged, if you're under you get extra luggage weight!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AFNOR only care about skiers under 94 kilos so that could be your cut-off.

http://www.bobski.com/safety/french_binding_system_Male.pdf
ski holidays
Mike-H, I agree with you. There should be a gross weight allowance of 110 kilos. What happens if a plane is filled with 200 20st chubbies and their max'd out luggage?

clarky999, Gok Wang. Interesting anagram...
ski holidays
queen bodecia, sexism is also acceptable going on the availability of the "Ladies' Only" sessions at my local pool.
ski holidays
Quote:

I have been weighed with my baggage when flying in small planes

so have I, but not had to pay any more - or, even when the other 5 passengers were Tongans of gigantic proportions - any less.

I have long espoused - and proposed on snowheads - the idea that everything going on an aircraft should be priced "per kilo". It would be easy enough to have a series of "weight brackets" into which people could put themselves, along with their baggage, when they book. And pay extra if they exceed that bracket when they check in.

Let people take - and weigh - whatever they want, but why should others pay for them? It's not "fattist" in the least - or if it is, it's "thinnist" that currently others have to subsidise them.

If four fat people with heaps of luggage drive their car for 100 miles it will cost them more than 4 slim people who travel light. Do those who claim that it's "fattist" to charge people by the kilo to travel reckon that there should be some mechanism to compensate the fat crew for the extra fuel they use?
latest report
Quote:

Why? If someone is pregnant, that is (usually) their choice, why should someone else pay fot it? Same if someone is hugely muscled from the gym.

Fair point. Lets chuck all the 'isms' out the window on this subject and just get a fair weight charge introduced. I would pay extra if my wife was pregnant and exceeded the limit. She is not an elephant so it is highly unlikely.
snow report
Quote:

It would be easy enough to have a series of "weight brackets" into which people could put themselves, along with their baggage, when they book.

Ahhh a bracket..... or in other words a cage - fit through this cage (that also weighs the person) or buy two seats. This would stop overspill into the next persons seat. 2 birds one new regulation. Laughing
Very Happy
snow report
What with travelling on Boxing Day, leaving from a Christmas at my sisters I didn't pack as well as normal. While on hol I decided we could ditch one empty suitcase (it had started to wear anyway) and one of the others could go inside a bigger one, thus we would only have two cases to lug around instead of four which is a Godsend when trying to struggle through airports etc with kids. We had 20k allowance each, there were four of us. Get to chambrey and are told off as our suitcase is 23kg, so I explain that we only have two cases between four of us. Supervisor comes over - they will NOT accept a case weighing 23kg, we have to get rid of some stuff. You should have seen their faces, and those of the people in the queue when I simply opened my case and pulled out the smaller one, shut up the big one and we are ready to go. Would have loved to have seen the baggage handlers faces as they went to "heave" it off the conveyor lol
ski holidays
Saw loads of people moving stuff from case to case in Brum. TUI have a max 23K per case which many are not aware of. If one is 25k and teh other 15k you will have to force 2k into your smaller case.
ski holidays
The idea of paying for your weight is a bit nonsensical really. You're paying for a seat to sit in, so as long as you fit into the seat properly then that's what the charge should be for. You wouldn't expect a 6ft tall 16 stone guy getting on a bus to pay double what a 5ft tall 8 stone lady would pay, so why should it be different on a plane?

Paying for "excess" baggage has only become standard of late with the no frills airlines who are looking to maximise their profits in all ways, which is why the standard baggage allowance has crept down to 15kg. Given that it is one passenger-one seat (in most cases, and I agree that huge fat messes should have to pay for 2 seats), the actual weight of the passengers is largely irrelevant. Yeah, it's a bit galling to have to pay for additional baggage when some lardy in front of you has checked in with his 15kg, but the two can't and shouldn't really be offset against each other if he fits adequately into one seat.

A small woman takes up the same amount of seats on an aircraft as I do, so why should I have to pay more for the privilege?
latest report
Dav, yes, but so is the sensibly sized person next to you. I paid for my seat, which includes the use of at least one armrest, so if some fat guy/gal next to me can't fit his/her bingo wings in, tough - they should pay extra for the additional space they need.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01/20/air_france/
"Air France KLM has decided to suggest to overweight self-loading cargo that they pay for two seats to accommodate their bulk..."
ski holidays
I do, of course, appreciate that those who might be asked to pay for a second seat might not be able to afford to unless they cut down on pies.

Eat less - save money!
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott,
Quote:

they will NOT accept a case weighing 23kg
Blooming 'eck, now we have yet another reason not to fly to Chambery.
snow conditions
hyweljenkins, absolutely, with that I have no problem. As I said, if you are too large/fat to fit into your seat properly then you should absolutely have to pay more. I've always insisted this be the case, and I think it's only fair and right.

But I'm what you'd probably call an average sized bloke; a shade under 6ft and 12.5 stone. I do not come close to spilling over into the next seat when on planes, so I don't see why I should pay any more than someone sat next to me of much smaller build. They're still using one full seat, just as I am; no more, no less.
ski holidays
This is total rubbish. Where do you have the cut off line from being "normal" or "fat"??? Im 6ft 2 and weigh 18stone, am i fat - yes, i am about 1-2 stone overweight but im a big lad and if i went down to 16 stones i wouldnt look fat at all. Would this still mean im overweight by your standards. what are you going to suggest next, females with a breast size of say 32cc will pay less for a bra than a woman with a pair of 34ee breasts. Your point is ridiculous and embarrasing to even suggest it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dav, you won't pay extra.

Ricklovesthepowder, at 18st you're between 4 and 6st overweight.
ski holidays
trust me, im not 4-6 stone overweight, i would be 1 tall lanky you know what if i lost all that weight, i have been 6ft 2 inches for 5 years and 3 years ago i weighed 16 stone and looked trim, im big built, trust me, i know my own body, not a computer telling me my "BMi" that is a load of bo****ks anyway
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, I didn't mention BMI, which I also know to be boll_cks.

Jona Lomu - 6'5", 18st
Lee Byrne - 6'3", 15st
Lawrence Dallaglio - 6'3", 17st9

Are you sure you're not kidding yourself?
snow conditions
Hurtle, I've had cases 30kg in the past and never been charged just a "heavy" sticker stuck on it. I've never paid for extra. Jees, if i can lug two of them through an airport with handluggage and kids to sort then I'm sure the baggage handlers can manage it.
snow report
Brilliant load of drivel. it's like saying you shouldn't have to pay as much for clothes if you're a size small or that shoe prices should be graded.
latest report
hyweljenkins wrote:
Ricklovesthepowder, I didn't mention BMI, which I also know to be boll_cks.

Jona Lomu - 6'5", 18st
Lee Byrne - 6'3", 15st
Lawrence Dallaglio - 6'3", 17st9

Are you sure you're not kidding yourself?

so if im 18 stone, where the hell do you get that i need to lose 4-6 stone from then, Shocked
lawrence Dallaglio, 1 pound lighter than me,
Lomu, the same as me,
Byrne 3 stone lighter. People are built differently, which is why a graph with height on one side, weight on the other and a line going up diagonally throught the graph to tell you "you ideal weight" is total, total rubbish. Clearly maths is not your strong point is it.
snow report
michaelf wrote:
Brilliant load of drivel. it's like saying you shouldn't have to pay as much for clothes if you're a size small or that shoe prices should be graded.

Exactly. If you have long legs should you pay more for a pair of trousers than a short person???
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder, I dont think it's an entirely serious thread, but feel free if you want to post some pics so we can judge if you are chunky of hunky
snow report
Spikyhedgehog wrote:
I agree, but what if you're really tall? Seems a little unfair.

It's not unfair, in the case of taller people they should be able to easily pay a bit more as it is an established fact that they have social and therefore career advantages over their shorter contemporaries (who then have to behave more 'bullishly' to try and compensate). Twisted Evil
snow report
hyweljenkins, that's not sexist. It's just good sense. When I go to the swimming pool I do not want to be confronted with the terrifying sight of an old fat hairy man in nowt but a pair of small pants. For the good of my health! Laughing
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, how do you post a pic, im wound up now
snow report
Quote:

You should have seen their faces, and those of the people in the queue when I simply opened my case and pulled out the smaller one, shut up the big one and we are ready to go.

Shimmy Alcott, Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ricklovesthepowder, go on then. My son in law is a tad taller than you and weighs just under 13 stone. He's a PE teacher, very good skier, windsurfer, footballer, and he has super legs. If he put on 5 stone he'd be horrible.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy