Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

snow chains

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
i am renting a car on sat and driving up to lesarc 1800 with the car we have snow chains ,ihave never used chains befofe, are they easy to fit if you have no experiance the forecast is for no snow but things can change thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends on many factors
make of chain
type of chain
how rusty the chains are etc.

we actually bought some from www.skiwear4less.co.uk they are car point ones, ran a trial fitting the other day for the first time ever, took me about 5 mins each side Little Angel
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If it's a hire car check that a) the chains are actually present, b) there are instructions with them, c) you speak the language the instructions are in wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
just glue some nails to the tires that should work.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
charlie26, I have fitted several different types to several different cars, including some weirdass American ones that came with a Hire car in Heavenly. There all have a number of things in common:

1 ) They are quite tricky to fit to a clean wheel of a car parked in a warm dry garage
2 ) They are somewhat more difficult when the car is parked in a snowdrift at the side of a busy road during a blizzard
3 ) They always include a fiddly rubber thing that clips to a hard to reach (and impossible to see) bit of bent metal
4 ) Said rubber thing is always extremely difficult to stretch but, loose as a tarts knickers once engaged
5 ) Said bit of bent metal always manages to inflict sever lacerations to frozen fingers which only bleed once they warm up
6 ) It usually takes slightly longer to fit them than it would have taken to abandon the car and walk to the airport.
7 ) (ONLY in the US) one mile after fitting them you will always pass a gang of men would would sell you a set and fit them for you, for the price of a round of drinks.
8 ) Assuming they don't remove themselves noisily when you drive off, you will need to remove them before the snow gets too thin or they will trash the road surface and your wheels and tyres
9 ) Removing them is far more difficult than fitting them as by this time the rubber thing and bit of bent metal have disappeared completely from view and
10) They are now tight as a bulls arse in fly time
11) (ALSO only in the US) one mile after parking up and removing them, you will pass another gang of men who would do the task for you for a smaller round of drinks.

If I were you, I'd take the bus.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Axsman, Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Axsman, Spot on Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
charlie26, i first used snow chains in the middle of a sudden snowstorm in Andorra which was accompanied with really cold weather. It took quite a while to figure out how to fit them and it really messes up your hands. Now that i've figured it out however it's pretty easy and i can generally do it in about 3 minutes per wheel.

The trick is that the first bit you have to do is counterintuitive. There is a reinforced loop which will end up on the inside of the wheel. What you have to do is thread the whole chain, flat on the ground, around the bit of tyre that's in contact with the road. The reinforced bit then gets lifted up over the tyre so the complete reinforced bit is on the inside of the tyre. Then you just tighten up the outer hooks, drive a wee bit, then check and tighten if required.

For me, it all fell into place once i realised that effectively the loop you make on the ground, becomes the inside loop. i'm probably a bit thick mind you and other people might just realise this intuitively.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Axsman, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Axsman, Laughing

charlie26
, keep a close eye on the forecast. if it looks as though it might snow, ensure before leaving the car hire place (which will no doubt be indoors and under cover) that you know how to fit the chains. Then take them off again.

Then, of course, you can be certain that it won't snow for weeks (which is beginning to look like it might be the case, actually...)
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
charlie26[/b], keep a close eye on the forecast. if it looks as though it might snow, ensure before leaving the car hire place (which will no doubt be indoors and under cover) that you know how to fit the chains. Then take them off again.

Then, of course, you can be certain that it won't snow for weeks (which is beginning to look like it might be the case, actually...)

Excellent advice.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

keep a close eye on the forecast. if

A few years back, as I was packing up on Friday night to come home, it was snowing very lightly. I therefore decided to put my chains on just in case - to much derision from others. Boy was I smug the next morning when I came out to this and drove straight off Laughing

latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy