Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Instructor / ski school in Les Houches

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

I’m looking for some advice and/or recommendations for an instructor or ski school in the Chamonix area. We (the Mrs, 2 kids (9 and 7) + my good self) will be off for a week on the slopes during the February half term (13th-20th), staying in Les Houches, and I am thinking about booking some group or private lessons. The kids have skied a couple of weeks previously, so aren’t complete novices, but could certainly benefit from some further instruction. My wife on the other hand has completely “lost her bottle” when it comes to skiing, following a couple of nasty falls in St Anton a few years ago. Her confidence has completely gone, but she is determined to get back up and enjoy her skiing. I’m a reasonably competent skier, skiing 2-3 weeks a year for some time, but would be more than happy to join the rest of the family for lessons and pick up a few tips to improve my technique. I like the idea of having some lessons together as a family, and am hoping that this will help my wife get comfortable on skis again, help the kids progress with their skiing, as well as allowing us to spend some time together on the slopes having some fun.
Any recommendations of instructors or ski schools in the area would be much appreciated. I’d also welcome any advice on getting your confidence back on the slopes.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We did 4 1/2 days there in 2008.
Les Houches is a small village and has quite a small ski area and I didnt see a huge ammount of instruction going on. However I did see a childs ski area up the mountain. It may well be that the bus (30 minutes) or a drive into Chamonix is needed for you to get the instruction you want as a family.
Im sure someone will be allong soon with better knowledge of ski school in the area.

However at the top of the Bellevue lift(cable car) in the centre of Les Houche, is a wide beginner area that is serviced by a drag lift, it will be a good place for your wife to get her confidence back and a good area for the kids. There is also a small cafe there.

The scenery in Les Houches is fantastic and due to all the trees it is popular when the visability is poor. Make sure you ski the Kandhar (world cup run) there is couple of perticuly steep and icy bits so save that for if you leave the family. Other then that the area is a nice place to cruise arround and not too tricky, so when the wife gets her confidence back you should all be able to explore most of the mountain in Les Houches together.
I can recomend the La Cha mountain restaurant, it has a south facing terrace and is better value then the other 2 moutain stop offs.

Eating out in the village is very limited.

Hope that helps a little and welcome to snowheads. snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Renry - much appreciated.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Almost all instruction in LH is through ESF. It was quite good when we took it, but at half-term private instruction will be limited to early morning, midday or late afternoon. The slopes are mostly blues and reds of no particular difficulty so should suit the party. I would suggest skiing together in the morning and putting the kids in group lessons in the quieter afternoons, then trying to fit in a couple of private lessons for the OH as and when.
There is evolution 2, but I know nothing about them. http://www.leshouches.com/uk/hiver-ecolesski.html
Booking now online is advisable.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy