Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Research shows ski slopes graded with bulldozers open earlier in the season

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
According to a new study of seven Lake Tahoe-area ski resorts, ski runs that are graded with bulldozers open earlier in the season than ones that are simply cleared of trees. However, they do cause more environmental harm than other runs....The study, which was published in December's issue of Ecological Applications, compared cleared and graded runs at seven ski areas, including Sugar Bowl, Heavenly, Kirkwood and Northstar-at-Tahoe. All of these resorts have both cleared and graded slopes.

Source and more info: http://www.rgj.com/article/20100119/TT/1190301/1047
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DUH!

Anyone who's seen what Tahoe's natural terrain looks like in the summer could have told you that. You need several dozen feet of snow to cover 4 foot rocks, and bare inches of snow to cover gravel.

And this person got actual real money for this study? rolling eyes
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yeah, I'm not surprised runs bulldozed and gravelled open earlier than ones cleared by less intrusive methods - bit of a no brainer really but IMHO environmentally indefensible!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tell me someone didn't get paid for this.... rolling eyes
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Now we need a costly study into why it requires a small amount of snow to make Austrian runs on top of summer meadows skiable compared with boulder strewn Scottish gullies.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ccl wrote:
Now we need a costly study into why it requires a small amount of snow to make Austrian runs on top of summer meadows skiable compared with boulder strewn Scottish gullies.

I am willing to put myself forward for such a research project. What sort of fee are you offering? When can I start? wink Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
in other news...... earth discovered not to be flat
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
They may open earlier but they probably also close earlier since bolder slopes hold their snow better. They are probably also more avalanche prone for this reason.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy