Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Suggest a beginner snowboarder friendly resort near Geneva?

Poster: A snowHead
So... Flights to Geneva booked for February..

I usually head to Morzine / Avoriaz but will have someone with me this year who's a fairly novice snowboarder that's comfortable on greens and easy blue runs that aren't too steep. This doesn't make the Portes du soleil particularly suitable in my mind..

Hoping for some suggestions of resorts that would be more suitable (though I'd still like some testing reds & blacks.. ), ideally with a not too painful transfer time from Geneva?

Thanks in advance.....

Ben
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ben_leeds, Les Saisies might fit the bill. Plenty of gentle skiing, and some tougher runs. But there are no gondolas and some drag lifts (not difficult - the most difficult has just been replaced by a chair, though some parts of the Espace Diamant have a few really tough drags). A few fairly long flattish bits too - but not ridiculously so. I can do some of them, and I'm useless on a board.

1 hour 40 mins from Geneva. Some good reds and blacks too - including some nice off-the-side-of-the-piste powder which doesn't get tracked out immediately.

But - but - but - very crowded in February (except the first week) just like everywhere else in France. |You might struggle to find accommodation.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Pam.. I'll take a look!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flaine would be a possibility, there's some good off piste and all the buttons can be avoided.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Does Flaine have plenty of gentle runs? I've only spent a few odd days there so I don't know it there, and I wasn't particularly looking for gentle runs, but when I took my brother in law there (who was) he found it difficult - though that was partly because visibility was poor.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mmmm well they have improved their beginners area this year with the addition of a key chairlift, and yes there aren't many greens (if any??) but there are plenty of blues. Agreed there are probably better beginner beginner resorts, depends if they're a fast improver as I reckon there's a good few friendly reds up there to be tried towards the end of the hol!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i was going to suggest Les Gets .......
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ben_leeds, how about Villars :

http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Villars/pistemap_full
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the suggestions, much apporeciated.

Pam - You where dead right about Les Saisies, no accomodation whatsoever..

We have been offered a Chalet in La Rosiere, which seems to tick the boxes resort wise, it's just a bit of a trek from Geneva.

B
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ben_leeds, another vote for Flaine....plenty of nice blues and if the snow is right some excellent bits of off piste for the more experienced in your group....not much in the way of nightlife though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ben_leeds, How about Leysin? It has a reputation as a snowboard friendly resort, as virtually no drag lifts. South facing, with views over Lake Geneva from the top. Only 90 minutes from Geneva airport by car (and easy to access via train from Geneva Airport - 2hrs). And it's in Switzerland so may not be so affected by French half term
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Flaine might be pretty full too - and their pistes do get very crowded at peak periods (in part because the lifts are so efficient). At this stage I would expect pretty well all desirable ski accommodation in French resorts to be booked fo February - Switzerland might be a better bet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
i'd recommend plan peisey. you can get a transfer straight up the mountain from geneva. its a goood resort, and the moutain is very forgiving to boarders of all stages... im here now and loving it!!! Smile

peace
j
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, I took my first half-term trip in 2007 with my family and another family. We stayed in my apartment in Morillon (part of the Grand Massif area with Flaine) and I was really delighted at how uncrowded the pistes were. We spent a fair bit of time over towards Flaine as well as on the Morillon slopes. We rarely queued for lifts. In terms of abilities, it has got plenty of challenging stuff but also lots of blues and cruisy reds for beginners and intermediates.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
ben_leeds wrote:

I usually head to Morzine / Avoriaz but will have someone with me this year who's a fairly novice snowboarder that's comfortable on greens and easy blue runs that aren't too steep. This doesn't make the Portes du soleil particularly suitable in my mind..

Really? I'd say that's as good a place as any to learn to board, yes there's some steeper pistes but there are plenty of gentle blues and in most places blues are better for learning to board on as greens are too flat.
ski holidays
Have you considered La Clusaz? At under 60km from Geneva, it's one of the closest resorts.

Although not as big as the Grand Massif (I think La Clusaz has about 130km of slopes in total), it's a lovely mountain village and it's fairly quiet; most of the lifts are gondola/ chair only - there's very few drags for the snowboarder. The slopes are generally blues and easy reds, with a few picturesque long greens thrown in. I find it one of the best places to take beginners, both skiers and boarders.

My only concern is that it doesn't have enough challenging red and black slopes for you. And being a slightly lower lying resort, the bottom slopes can get a bit soft late in the season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy