Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for a big lad

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone, Im in the market for a nice pair of sub £500 skis. Im say im at level 6/7 but want to explore powder more. Im used to piste and like the odd 180 etc. Currently using a oldish pair of salomon twin tips but rented some Rossignol Sc80 bandits in the Usa last year and got on with them.
Im about 6"2 and 220 pounds. Been looking at either the Salomon Lord or just going for the bandits again.
Any other options or can someone let me know what the lords are like.

Cheers
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Salomon Shogun? pretty good reviews and sounds to be decent on piste even with that wide base.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Pontoons.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
waring192, welcome to snowHead 's
Wait till the end of season sales and get what's on offer...
I'm a simlilar size to you and got a pair if head monster im88's 1/2 price (£480 reduced to £250) at the end of season 2008 - I find them great for un pisted snow, they are quite stiff and they carve Ok on piste (though aren't as quick edge to edge as "piste skis")Think they are called "peak 88" now...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
waring192, I'm slightly shorter than you and similar weight. I'm looking at Fischer Watea 84s
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm just back from 10 days in Banff on my new Shoguns and I loved them. I had been going to buy Lords after demo-ing them last year but was persuaded by the Ski Shop to go for the Shoguns instead. By the time I stepped into them for the 1st time I was sure I'd made a mistake and wouldn't be able to manage them. But they were great. I guess the twin tip and bit of rocker makes them much more manageable in tight spots than they'd otherwise be. Admittedly there wasn't much ice about, so I don't know how they'll cope with it, but I don't mind sacrificing some performance on icy pistes for better off piste performance.

A wee bit more than 500 quid though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
waring192, I'll do you a skis + bindings deal on these which are perfect for your stats/ability: http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,170/category_id,38/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wow...very quick replys! Lots of other ski's pointed out, lord and bandits not good then compared?

Looked at the shogun briefly but they are quite wide, maybe look into them some more.

Pontoons...never heard of them before and thought it was a pun at being a big guy in powder! quick google corrected that!

II i need them nowish, off to canada for 3 weeks so need somthing to take really.

Kosciosco...will have a look at them, what you read about them?

Thanks Again Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
waring192 wrote:

Pontoons...never heard of them before and thought it was a pun at being a big guy in powder! quick google corrected that!

Barges
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
waring192, Got Fall line All mountain ski of the year and I haven't heard anyone say anything bad about it:

http://www.fall-line.co.uk/gear/skis/fischer/watea-84-koa-84-0910

Looks good too! Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
waring192, with your stats you need plenty of width underfoot & length for fore/aft stability. Def not less than 90mm underfoot (& 100mm even better) or you'll be struggling, especially in N.America.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Scott skis are pretty hard to beat in this category! also the dynastar legends are nice! im 6'2 and 16st so if u want any advice give us an e-mail, I have skied most things on the market!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
christ, cannot cope with all the replys! Give me a few min Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
waring192, I'd suggest trying some out - from what I gather it is very much personal preference. I am going to Ellis Brigham in Milton Keynes next weekend and will be testing:

Fischer Watea 84
Fischer Watea 78
K2 Apache Recon

Thats all they do that I would want to test, but I would like to test the Scott skis, although they are little more pricey, but I don't know anywhere in the UK where I can. I don't think the Watea 78s will be for me, but I want to try them for a comparison to the 84s.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kosciosco, I tested Apache Recon's last season and was most disappointed with them. I found them hard work and ponderous from edge to edge.
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
Pontoons.

seconded.
latest report
hi again everyone!

Been looking at all the one mentioned and like the look of a few. Im still quite liking the idea of getting some bandits as im used them before but did find they were a bit sluggish in powder, maybe get some longer one?

Salomon shogun also sound good but im slight of put by there reviews on ice?

Underfoot size seem to pop up quite alot so had a look into them:

Bandits - 80
Lord - 88 based on the 185
Shogun - 101 based on 182
Pontoon - 120/130/160

Can see the bandits are maybe a bit narrow then. I think its either going ot be the Lord or the Shogun. Pontoon i think might be little too wide!

Any others?
snow report
Head Peak 88 (88.)
Völkl Mantra (94.)
Stöckli Sport Stormrider VXL (86.)
Nordica Enforcer (98.)
ski holidays
waring192, I would look at the High Society freerides on offer from Spyderjon.
There are a few reviews of them on the forum and also on some US sites such as backcountry outlet and TGR.
They are stiffer than The lord or Bandit especially under foot which will help them grip on piste but have a bit of flex in the tips to help them float they are also wider which helps them in the soft snow but will make them slower edge to edge for piste. That said I skied on 112mm underfoot Whitedot preachers today and they were lots of fun on piste (needless to say on a ski like that I spent 95% of the day off piste)
The Vist bindings he supplies are also high quality. If you ask him nicely he might do a deal on a base prep waxing and set the edges to 3 degrees if you want them to grip even better, he might not but you can always ask wink.

I hope to get out on a pair of these next week and can review them for you then.
latest report
waring192, at your weight/height you should look at nothing shorter than 185 (190 probably preferable), and probably nothing narrower than 85mm if you really want to get into the off-piste (95+ will make it hugely easier, but tougher on-piste). From recommendations I was keen to try the Wateas (the 94mm underfoot model), but couldn't find any to demo (I'm 182cm, 90-95kg depending whether it's early or late in the season Wink ), so I went for Mantras in 191cm, although they may be a bit stiff for you. As you say you have some interest in tricks as well, how about the Scott Punisher - not too stiff, light for their size, twin-tip for your 180s, wide underfoot for powder, fairly short radius to allow turning without too much difficulty. Not too sure how they'd cope with icy/artificial pistes though (I've skied their brothers, the Missions, but not the Punishers). Looks like dansmith has a deal on them in 182s (he normally does pretty good deals), but I wonder whether they may be a bit short for you - maybe he could source some longer ones?
ski holidays
GrahamN, Meh, when I suggested this (length) to a "big lad" last week I got slated! I fully agree with you though...
snow conditions
Not sure if they've still got them but Noble Custom had some 07/08 193 Movement Gladiators at £215. Amazing price for fantastic skis.

http://www.noblecustom.co.uk/

http://global.skipass.com/gearguide/ski/2008/movement/gladiator-1.html

I've got some in 183 and wish I had them a little longer and they've lasted me about 30 weeks. They are just started to die after far too much abuse!
ski holidays
Alexandra, (I hope he doesn't mind me chipping in with blatant opinion) you should be aware that GrahamN typically operates in two modes;

Race - where IIRC he skis on 155s, typically on plastic

and

Off-piste - where he typically self propels into variable off piste conditions, where wide and long will be an advantage.

If you recall the thread where I feel you were a little aggressive on length was a call for a specifically piste ski. My arguments hold. Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
under a new name, Strange, I thought the chap on the other thread wanted to start adventuring off the side of the piste for a bit.
snow report
Alexandra, the other OP said, "I have not spent much time off piste as yet but may do in the future, for now i spend most of my time on red runs"

Call me old fashioned, but that sounds like a piste ski (and one that will assist with on piste progression) to me...
ski holidays
Swirly wrote:
Mollerski wrote:
Pontoons.

seconded.

Well guys, as it happens I know of a pair for sale. PM me for more info wink
snow report
under a new name wrote:
you should be aware that GrahamN typically operates in two modes;

Race - where IIRC he skis on 155s, typically on plastic

and

Off-piste - where he typically self propels into variable off piste conditions, where wide and long will be an advantage.

Ok, fair point...although I have just gone long with my most recent slalom skis...156cm Wink Laughing Laughing Laughing
I should also point out that those are for dry slopes and indoors; for outdoor slalom I use the regular 165s, and was on 180cm GS (really wanted longer) just before Xmas. And if we scale your new skis to the OP's size he should be on 115mm wide skis 210cm long Shocked !

What we're talking here is someone who says he wants to mix it up in the powder a bit more. If that just means 2-5cm over essentially hardpack then shorter is not a problem. If we're talking proper boot-deep+ stuff, or even something a bit shallower with a but of crud in it, then it will make a huge difference getting something your own height rather than shorter. You have just so much more fore-aft stability with a ski of your own height or more, which is important if you're not an expert. OK, it makes them a bit harder to turn on a sixpence (although those Punishers are very turny for a big ski), but the most important thing is to feel confident that you're not going to faceplant if you get it slightly wrong - as otherwise you're going to spend your entire time sitting on your heels and hanging on for dear life rather than actually skiing (that is when you're not digging yourself out of a snowhole of your own making).

And please...ignore the joke suggestion of Pontoons - these are out and out pure powder skis and essentially hopeless for anything else.
snow report
GrahamN, sorry, I was drifting the thread, at 6'2" and 220lbs, he probably can handle 185-190 off piste, but they are going to be a bit of a handful on piste. What I was only pointing out to Alexandra was that the other thread was asking about (principally) on piste use.

Anyway, segueing swiftly off topic again, why did do want longer than 180 GS?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, extra stability so you don't get thrown about so much, the fact that FIS regs ask for 185cm (OK there is a tolerance of -5cm for MAS racing), and I understand that the big boys mostly now use 190-195cm.
latest report
GrahamN, oh, ok, fair enough. Being a titch myself, I prefer(ed) my 180s to my 190s, but the 180s have died. I am looking forward to using the 190s at the weekend however.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy