Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

To La Norma with Snowtrex

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just got back and thought I might let you know how it went.

We set off from Nottingham on friday 8th, at 7pm, in heavy snow. I was really worried. The forecast was for heavy snow showers in the south and east...and we were driving to Dover.
I needn't have worried too much because the snow stopped not long after we got onto the M1 and we made good time.
I had decided to leave a couple of hours earlier than originally planned in case we were delayed by the weather, but now I'm thinking we can make it to Dover in time to catch the earlier ferry. I'd booked Dover - Dunkirk with Norfolk Lines because they were significantly cheaper than the competition - although the crossing takes an extra hour.
Just reaching the end of the M2 when we ran into a heavy snow shower that covered the road to a depth of about 3" for about 5 miles. Not a gritter or plough to be seen anywhere. A few lorries got stuck on the slight inclines, but we managed to keep going and it was a relief when we reached clear roads again.
We did reach Dover in time to catch the earlier ferry and were waved through check-in at no extra cost - a nice change from Seafrance.
There had obviously been some heavy snow on the roads in France, but they were clear as we headed south.
No problems or snow (despite the beeb forecasting heavy snow for our entire journey!) until we reached the last peage on the A43 - just before the Frejus tunnel. There we were caught in a jam for about an hour that seemed to be caused by a problem at the tolls.
As we left the motorway, we hit the snow. We made it all the way to the resort access road before we needed to put the chains on.

La Norma is a small resort - only 70kms of piste - and we found our apartments (Chalets de la Vanois) with no difficulty. Plenty of free, underground parking, was a definite plus.
The check-in process was quick and easy. The apartment was as described - fairly basic but with everything that we needed. The only complaint I'd have was the pillows being dirty. If you have room in your car (or suitcase), take your own pillows with you. I had booked an apartment for 6 although there were just the 4 of us, so that we all had a proper bed. This turned out to be a good move because the sofa beds that the other 2 occupants would have had to use were not very comfy.
Lift passes and ski hire were sorted with no fuss, on presentation of the 'tickets' that Snowtrex had sent us via e-mail. I had booked 'Top' skis for us all (the middle choice) and was given K2 Apache Crossfires - this years model, I think.

As I said, it's a small resort. There really isn't too much skiing for beginners or low intermediates, apart from the long and narrow run back to resort and a few kms by the lower of the two restaurants. It's very friendly though, and quite cheap for France. Pint of beer for less than 5 euro, mug of chocolate for 2.50. One smallish supermarket in the resort had everything that we needed, and was cheap enough for us to not bother driving to the hypermarket in the main town. Restaurants looked nice, and not expensive.

Snow quality was great. It had snowed most of the previous week and we had a couple of days of light snow during the week. Other than that, it was blue skies and no wind.
Unfortunately, the resort is north facing so you are in the shade, skiing for most of the day in flat light - this becomes quite tiring after a bit.
I was rather annoyed that the resort was not fully open - even though it said all the runs were open on the website. Apparently they only open some of the smaller chairs and pomas during peak season. So, while the runs were available to ski, you could ski down a green or blue and find that the only route back up the mountain - or further down - left you with no option but part of a red. Not good if you have two nervous low intermediates with you.

Nice, clear roads for the return journey - arriving in time for the earlier ferry again, and being waved on at no extra charge again (this was the ferry that I'd wanted to book, but it had been more expensive so I'd opted for the later one. Useful tip)

So, for a cheap holiday, a big thumbs up for Snowtrex and Norfolk Lines, so so for La Norma.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy