Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to go next? North America

Poster: A snowHead
Ok - so my idea of persuading my husband to go skiing somewhere in Europe has failed miserably.

So looks like we will be going back to the USA/Canada skiing for our next trip.

Having been skiing to two different places now, we have more of an idea of what we like to ski (well at least I do - and if I have to organise the trip then it will be to somewhere I prefer.. Toofy Grin )

We've been to Panorama and Winter Park and I prefered Winter Park to Panorama (being that there appeared to be more long cruising runs and more groomed trails).

I didn't dislike Panorama, and it brought my skiing on loads but you seemed to be back at the bottom of the lift in no time.

I am looking for somewhere with 'something' to do in the evening with a decent choice of places to eat (Panorama was definitely lacking in these).

For skiing I would like the resort to have long cruising runs where you can get some mileage in and not be back at the bottom of the lift really quickly.

Any suggestions?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Breckenridge? Really easy to get to - less than 90 minutes from Denver. You can also get to Keystone and A-basin on the free bus. Bustling town with plenty to do in the evening. Miles and miles of motorway pistes for you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Banff?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hubby suggested Breckenridge - I don't know too much about it?

What's the skiing like there?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
v1cky24, whistler is good for all levels , though can be expensive. Been 3 times and each has been good
we are off to sun peaks ina few weeks and that is meant to be ok.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why does hubby want the hassle/expense of travelling all the way to NA if not interested in powder/off-piste? Long cruising runs and nightlife are what the Alps do best. Puzzled
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
v1cky24, Are you for real? Are you seriously asking what the skiing's like? Did I or did I not tell you? I wonder if Google could help...
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alexandra, ooof..... Shocked

I missed the last part of your reply obviously.

Thanking you.

hd, my OH is a spoilt brat who has food issues and thinks he can only be catered for in NA. I on the other hand would love to try somewhere in Europe because I reckon the nightlife will be much better
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hd, personally i find there is less hassle/expense in getting a decent ski trip in NA . . . but that might just be me

v1cky24, Jackson Hole? Lots of choice of places to eat (Billys Burgers was amazing, as was the Blue Lion, and some Thai place we went to several times). Nightlife was variable, somenights the bars were packed other nights dead, but the bus was free into town. In terms of other things to do we went to the ice hockey one night, out to the deer thingy another but we werent really looking for much beyond a good meal and comfortable bar at night. The skiing was good too. If you liked Panorama you'll like Jackson, you dont need to come back down to the bottom if you dont want just link around the top all day.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Food, long cruising runs, night life... Sounds more Europe than N. A. to me!!!

There're plenty of resorts in N America that has longer runs than Winter Park. But I'm wondering if you're not better off going to the Alps instead.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Base yourself in Park City. Ski Deer Valley and Park City in that valley.

Take a day trip to Snowbasin.

More food choices than you shake a stick at. Cruising central.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Alot depends on what you actually mean by nightlife....if it is a raucous party all night atmosphere, dancing on the tables etc etc then I guess you would be disappointed by a lot of NA places

But if you mean just a wider spread of places to eat/drink than 2 bars and a McDonalds, all of which shut down by 7pm, then , in my (limited) experience, you could do a lot worse than either Banff or Whistler

Both have more resturants than you will ever utilise in one trip, catering for all types of eater and drinker. Whistler village is more compact and walkable than Banff but even if you are at the furthest extremity of Banff Avenue from the townsite, it is not a major hassle as there is a bus or taxis or you can walk (I am assuming no young kids involved). Of course, with a bit of planning on your accomodation you can sort that out by choosing a centrally located hotel so the distances can be next to nothing.

The skiing at either can be what you want it to be, long cruises or steep and deep.....at Banff you can also add in Lake Louise (on a day trip or you can stay). Lovely place to ski, not sure about staying there as we didnt.

Downsides are Whistlers weather....a lot of snow but it can be cloudy and it can rain at resort level. That said I have skied a lot in Whistler and only once have I ever suffered rain at mid mountain .......maybe I have just been lucky. on the other hand I have seen a fair amount of rain in the village which is not a problem for me as I dont ski in the village and if there is rain there then there is snow higher up. Others may look at that differently. Banff on the other hand can be cold but wrap up and it will usually not be a big problem unless you are unlucky (maybe an idea to avoid January as well, but that is a generalisation as I an sure it can be fine then). We were there in early April and it was lovely, bluebird days and views to die for.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Whistler is pretty much th eonly place that can compare with euro apres, and skiing is amongst best around. Park city/Deer/Canyons suggestion is a good one too, as is Jackson if you want a bit more challenge. Sun Valley has best cruising on continent and excellent nightlife in Ketchum if you go peak season. Lake Tahoe too - but can only report on that when i go in 2 weeks ...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Consider Snowmass, Colorado for long, pretty ski runs, ride bus to nearby Aspen for extraordinary nightlife. Whistler and Vail also great for your interests. All three rather pricey. Sad
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Tahoe. Pretty much has everything, depending on where exactly you stay and ski. For most Americans nightlife is drinks and dinner which starts when the lifts close and finishes about 9pm (unless you night ski at Squaw). Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

I didn't dislike Panorama, and it brought my skiing on loads but you seemed to be back at the bottom of the lift in no time.

Puzzled Shocked rolling eyes

But Panorama's vertical of 1220m/4000ft is one of the biggest in Nth America - and is about twice that of typical resorts like Brekenridge etc!! The runs seemed almost endless compared to most NA places that I've skied.

Did you make it up to the top v1cky24 Toofy Grin ?
latest report
mountainaddict, I made it to the top yes, and when coming down 1000 peaks and founders ridge it takes a fair while to get to the bottom, but these were not my favourite type of runs. I like the trails off the champagne chair and seemed to be back at the bottom of it really quickly i.e. skyline, world cup way, rollercoaster, millenium.

Same for the sunbird chair, you were back at the bottom in no time.

Front runners now are probably banff, whistler, or california, maybe somewhere in utah
snow report
Aspen.
ski holidays
You could try Sun Peaks. I think you would like it. Loads of lovely sweepeing groomers. Viallge at bottom is way bigger than Panorama, although clearly not Banff or Whistler size, but you could eat out somewhere different every night.
ski holidays
Whitegold, Is aspen really as expensive as they say? I seem to have this impression that only celebs can afford it... ok, maybe a slight exaggeration Laughing

gryphea, Will look into Sun Peaks, sounds promising. I was a bit disappointed with the lack of eateries in Panorama, sounds like Sun Peaks is better. Where exactly is it? Is it accessible from Calgary?
snow conditions
v1cky24, Prices are above-average in Aspen. But you get what you pay for. Worth the extra paper for the buzz.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/destinations/2009-06-04-budget-aspen_N.htm
ski holidays
snowmass/aspen. can be done on the cheap, can be a little hard to get to but its so worth it , something different to ski day and eat every night !!
snow conditions
v1cky24, I hope this is not a silly suggestion but for long cruising, great food and spectacular scenery the Dolomites in Italy beat the USA, Canada and most of Europe hands down - IMHO of course Very Happy
ski holidays
v1cky24,
Quote:

Where exactly is it? Is it accessible from Calgary?

If you have a hire car, and fancy driving around 7 hours. Better to fly into Kamloops and drive from there, around an hour I think. It will have to be an internal flight from Calgary.

If going for a 2 week trip and hiring a car, you might as well sample other resorts close by Smile Revvy 2-3 hours away, and Silver Star a couple of hours away.
snow report
v1cky24
Quote:

Front runners now are probably banff, whistler, or california, maybe somewhere in utah

You wouldn't come back disappointed from any of them Very Happy .
snow report
CP,

Agree- we watched racing in cortina at the weekend and it reminded us what a great time we had in dolomites.

v1cky24,
Quote:

Where exactly is it? Is it accessible from Calgary?

Not ideally................. WE had a bit of a journey back. Highway 1 was shut between Sicamous and Revelstoke for avalanche clearing. Not altogether a rare occurance. Tolerable for us, but not for anyone flying back from Calgary. Best stick to Kamloops.

All those Okanagan resorts have tubing, skating etc too.
latest report
I'm very interested in this Sun Peaks place, been on the website - looks interesting!

I guess cost would be a factor now then, Sun Peaks strikes me as a DIY jobby.
ski holidays
v1cky24, there are a few companies that do sun peaks (ski safari, ski indipence etc) mainly the smaller ones.
we've booked with ski safari as they gave us the best price and dates options, but Ski indi came a close second and I think you might get a discount if yo are a ski club GB member too. flying to Calgary then connecting to Kamloops then transfer

Will try to post a review after we get back (only 3 weeks to go snowHead snowHead )
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob and sharon, thanks for that! Appreciate it. Hope you enjoy your trip snowHead
latest report
Hmmmm long crusiers, good food, nightlife?

The Park City mountains seems good for you... but your asking for more like Europe. You probably wouldn't want to head to LCC because places like Altabird just don't groom their runs. But whistler seems like the best but it's just really expensive. But over 5k vertical is great! But if you want the long cruisers w/o the nightlife you could go to the new mountain, Revelstoke, which I heard is amazing!
snow report
Sun Peaks you can diy from UK no problem. Canadian aff to Calgary/ vancouver and then fly to either Kamloops 50mins from SP or to Kelowna about 2-2.5 hrs. Transfers can be booked on line. You could drive from Vancouver but IT SNOWS and the roads can be closed due to snow and avalanche risk. We have done it now we don't. You can fly to Seattle and then fly on from there to both Kelowna and Kamloops.
snow report
I'd recommend Sun Valley, ID. Baldy mountain is simply amazing, with slopes that just go down, down, down (no traverses/cat tracks, etc) and a decent night life in Ketchum (3 min's free bus ride). The most awesome part? There's almost noone there!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy