Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

German ski resort advice - Winterberg - Oberstdorf

Poster: A snowHead
I have a problem that needs some advice.
The family (wife + 2 skiing kids) and I are going skiing in February to Germany. We are going by motorhome again but are unsure which resort to ski.
The original choice was Oberstdorf – not too far, reasonable prices good runs and small Alpine village atmosphere.
Then we noticed that Winterberg is much closer and should be snow sure this year.
The problem is that Winterberg looks limited and has short runs. My wife and daughter are just starting to carve so may prefer Winterberg. I am an intermediate and so is my son so would prefer Oberstdorf (more expensive lift passes and further to drive and added fuel costs).
My questions are: How short exactly are the runs at Winterberg?
Could they hold my attention for 6-8 days?
I realise that I would have to compromise, but we have forked out for the motorhome, ferry crossing and are halfway to Oberstdorf. Should I go the whole hog or reach a compromise and “settle” for slightly less challenging skiing? Which is more family friendly?
Many questions.
Any help with Winterberg information will be most welcome.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Winterberg is really a high-risk strategy snowwise. You only want to go there on very short notice. Like it is snowing and the runs are open and if that happens then it is very busy because you will have half of North-Rhine Westfalia and lots of people from the Netherlands descending on it just as daytrippers or for the weekend.

The amount of waiting for the lift stands in no relation to the actual skiing time. It's not the alps.

I'd really go for Oberstdorf or if you have come that far - cross over the border into Austria.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi schneeflocke,
The beauty of going in a motorhome is that you can change tack at a moments notice. We could be on our way to Winterberg and decide halfway there that there is not enough snow.
So as far snow goes, we can leave that to the VERY last minute.
We will be skiing from the Sunday to the evening of the following Sunday and while I heard it can get busy there over weekends, I am hoping the weekdays and evening skiing will be less busy and allow us to make up for the weekends.
Have you been to Winterberg and do you have a personal opinion of the resort?
Cheers
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I have never been to Winterberg, and I suspect I never will.

Winterberg is not in the alps, it is in what we in Germany call the "Mittelgebirge" (medium mountains). These are not mountains, they are glorified hills.

The Mittelgebirge have good cross country skiing when they have snow (which they certainly do at the moment), but the downhill skiing leaves A LOT to be desired even in perfect conditions. It's generally short, flat, icy, and crowded. I would also mention that the weather is warming up at the moment in western Germany.

Even for two beginners, I cannot imagine wanting to stay a week there. If you want to find out for yourself, I suppose you could stop there for a day and then drive on to Oberstdorf. But honestly I wouldn't waste my time. I would also dispute the notion that Winterberg would be more family friendly. I don't see how over-crowded slopes and enormous lift lines for icy runs are family friendly.

You've already paid for the ferry crossing and motor home. What is the additional cost of driving a few extra hours?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just back from a weekend in Oberstdorf. Theres a campervan stellplatz (aire) at the top of the town almost beside the Nebelhorn lift. I was told that there are two other campsites in or near the town.
The town itself is quite big, big enough to get lost in after closing time. The ski areas are quite spread out, although the bus system is very good. To be honest though, the skiing is quite limited. Fine for a weekend, but way too little for 6-8 days. That said though, what runs there were could somrtimes be quite long, 6-7km.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your comments everyone. After taking them onboard, we have decided to head down to Oberstdorf.
Loobylou, did you send any time in the Kleinwalsertal area. If so did you ski any of the pistes there?
I would have thought that 124km of pistes would be enough to keep the average skiier happy.
Ami in Berlin, I did consider driving to Winterberg first but wanted to avoid the dissapointment so thought I would ask you folk first. Really glad I did now.
Once again thanks for all you comments.
Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We spent half a day in each of Ifen and Nebelhorn, the other two in the Fellhorn/Kanzelwand area which was by far the biggest. Theres quite a bit of bus travel between the seperate resorts, their not all linked.
Another thing to note is that there are very few easy blues, most of the runs were (real) reds.
BTW have you considered the Montafon region of Austria, not much further but perhaps more suitable IMO>
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
loobylou, I disagree about not having enough to do for a week. It all depends on what you like doing, but I tend to pick a (off) piste and do it to death so I'm quite happy with smaller ski areas. If never skiing the same piste twice is your thing then these resorts are certainly not the right thing for you. I ski quite a lot in Oberstdorf/Kleinwalsertal (cos my wife comes from Kleinwalsertal) and have never got bored with it. There are some very nice off piste runs in all of the four areas. It's just a bit unfortunate that the various lift operators can't get round a table and decide to link their resorts a bit better rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My family and I all prefer smaller resorts and have no problems doing the same runs again.
We are all working on our technique to one degree or another and it helps to know the terrain when you are trying to perfect something.
Loobylou I take your point onboard that the bus system between the resorts is not great but this is the beauty of motorhome holidays.
We will plan our time and split it between the different lift systems so that by the end of the week we have spent a day or more at each.
By the way, thanks for the tip on the Stellplatz at Oberstdorf, I will look that one up.
Steilhang thank for your input as well. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
warren555, Don't get me wrong, the bus service is good. I'm a motorhomer too but when skiing from my motorhome I tend to park up on electrical hookup and use the local bus service to get around.
I'm sure you'll have a great time there, enjoy. Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Warren,
I have been going to Oberstdoef for over 20 yers and know the whole of that region like the back of my hand. If you get this in time take your beginners up on the Sollerecke it has a 3.5 km blue run which is wide and easy. Once mastered take them to the Ifen, though they have old chair lifts there is a lovely valley run from the top which is blue all the way down. The ifen also has reds and blacks so no one will get bored. Then you can go to the Nebelhorn and the fellhorn. Lastly try the walmendinger horn for yourself as this has a wonderful red valley run which is not particularly diffcicult for beginners at the end of a week. This mountain and the ifen also have button lifts at the bottom for practice.
Don't foget to eat a lammacun at Sony's pizzeria, on the Nebelhorn strasse next to Sport Brutscher, or a pizza which are both cooked in a wood burning oven or Mandie's Spag Bol. Tastes fantastic and all home made. Tell them Stephen sent you. An 8 day ticket for the whole resort costs 216€ which is the cheapest skiing anywhere.

I also know the Winterberg/Willingen area very well but would not reccomend them for more than a day. However, Wineterberg does have a very gentle 2 km long blue/green which is great for learning. Avoid the place at the weekends as it constipates with dutch and belgians as well as the locals. But go down to Oberstdorf after 2 days.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ski Nut, or anyone !!

Can you recommend anyone for private lessons in oberstdorf.
I know the area quite well, during my last trip just could not ski well and found conditions very challenging. I feel i need a good teacher to correct any mistakes I might be making.
Thanks
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
warren555, why drive to Germany? if U anyway have drive so long distance near 1000km from Calais, why not go to Austria?, and have alot more choices, and in france U have less distance to drive, Portes des Soleil for one example,, German resorts are wery crowdy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Winterberg is a weekend place for Düsseldorfers & The Dutch. Dont waste your time go to the Oberstdorf in the Alps.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A great friend of mine is married to a German girl from Dusseldorf.
They love Winterberg for its proximity for a cheeky ski day trip when the snow is good.

They laughed when I asked if it would be a good place for beginners to go for a week.

Although I have never been I would think it very similar to some of the small ski areas near Toronto, or in Connecticut that I used to go to for a day when I lived near New York (back in the day...).

Great fun for a day out if you catch the snow, but not a destination to travel to.
snow conditions
Used to go to Winterberg for weekends when my folks lived in Dusseldorf. Fun for a day but forget a week two turns and youve finished most of the runs!! As Many of the folks have been saying on here head to Bavaria or Austria.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy