Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets could soon become law in California

Poster: A snowHead
A new ski helmet bill has been introduced in California as a way to prevent a fatal head injury. California State Senator Leland Yee has proposed that it should become the law that anyone under 18 should wear a helmet on the slopes in California. If they don't, their parents would face a $25 fine.
In a tragic heli-skiing accident, however, a woman from California who fell into a creek apparently drowned when her helmet got stuck between two rocks.
...Sources: http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_14216283?nclick_check=1 and http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2010/01/18/state/n074031S91.DTL&tsp=1#ixzz0d34SPjU9

Over in Europe, new research has shown that almost three quarters of Austrians would back a law making wearing helmets mandatory on pistes.

See: http://www.austriantimes.at/news/General_News/2010-01-15/19713/Majority_backs_helmet_law%2C_poll_shows
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
Over in Europe, new research has shown that almost three quarters of Austrians would back a law making wearing helmets mandatory on pistes.

Lol! This statement is pure drivel without any indication of WHO was asked and WHAT was asked? You could probably stand on the high street and conduct a survey "should extreme sports be banned to prevent injury" and get a large majority saying yes then turn round and say "skiing is an extreme sport that should be banned"
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Certainly three quarters of Austrians would back a law making lederhosen mandatory on pistes. You don't need a survey to know that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just do away with Groomed Pistes & Helmets wont be necessary Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
For once, I had to agree with stanton! Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stanton, Explain, I would think the chances of falling would be greater in a mogul field.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dwarf Vader, Quite simply, speed kills. As I understand it, hit your head plumb square at over 15mph and you're almost guaranteed stone dead with or without helmet. Anything below that but over walking pace and you'll sustain a nasty or potentially life-threatening head injury. On ungroomed pistes the traffic slows down considerably. They might fall more but a pure fall doesn't normally involve hitting of head and if it does it's a decelerating "glancing header". It's the collisions that do it, mainly with immoveable objects like trees. For some reason California has a lot of head v. tree incidents involving death, and a few of them involving famous people so they've had press. The trees at Heavenly, for example, are invitingly spaced so people venture in there and of course some are bound to have unscheduled meetings with bark. If I remember rightly, they even take trees out in certain areas to make the tree skiing as good as it can possibly be. In typical American fashion, they now need to introduce a law to somehow mitigate the chance of croaking. My advice - avoid headbutting trees or rocks or piste bashers or buildings; they are all obvious enough.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bode Swiller, yep - "gladeing" trees is pretty common practice in US and Canada - and it is the trees more than anything which make me wear a lid.

But as Winterhighland says - they don't mention whether the people polled were even skiers. Confused
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
While in principle I'm against mandatory helmet laws, it's getting less and less relavent to me now.

Even since discovering the joy of skiing in trees, I don't go out skiing without a helmet any more. What if I see a patch of invitingly spaced trees with powder around? No can't do because I left my lid back in the hotel??? My head hurts from thinking about that possibility! Wink

Did had an un-planned meeting with a small bark 2 years ago. Un-moving bits of real estate it was! Shocked The lid did help to defray the impact. My head was fine but I wish I had worn something similar for my ribs... Sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Bode Swiller, I see what your point is but it does seem to have a contradiction.
At the start you stated speed kills on groomed pistes, then went on to say collisions with trees had a large occurrence. Tree runs tend not to be basheds (unless that’s different in the USA) and they are taken at lower speed.
While I agree with you and stanton, on your point about groomed pistes, my feeling from the news I have read is that excessive speed is a factor in only a 50% (SWAG).
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dwarf Vader, No, you can have groomed runs and trees in same proximity - down the side of tree-lined runs in the USA you see quite a few little shrines on the trees. This is invariably where someone has been hammering down a groomer, caught an edge or needed to take avoiding action, and introduced their head to a tree at speed. If the run had been left ungroomed they'd probably still be alive. Whichever way you meet a tree though, it hurts.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bode Swiller, I see and I agree.
The last fall I had took a chunk out of my helmet (with a ski I think) above my ear. I just think If I was not wearing my helmet I would not be able to wear glasses any more Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Most skiers who purposely go into the trees are already wearing helmet. It's convenient not having to keep ducking for small branches too! Smile

The helmet "law" being debated, are largely for skier on piste who don't volunteerily wear one. I can't blame them for not wanting to have their own choice taken out. On a warm sunny day, I don't feel like wearing a lid myself! If more pistes are left "natural", a lot of us would be happier not to worry about being hit by flying human objects. And I'll be more than happy to ski slowly without a lid.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dwarf Vader wrote:
stanton, Explain, I would think the chances of falling would be greater in a mogul field.

Most collisions accidents (Except Tree Skiing) involving head injuries occur on groomed pistes & there has been a huge increase since the advent of carving skis.

Do away with groomed pistes which encourages fast skiing in public areas & folk will learn how to ski in control in all conditions.

To me the Ski industry has created the problem by making skiing easy, kind of self proliferating Skullie

Groomed Pistes/Trails, Fast Carving skis which folk cut across causing collisions & now they want everyone to buy a helmet because of there own stupid/greedy mistakes.

A Helmet will not prevent folk from skiing fast, accidents will continue to happen & I can foresee many many more.

The next stage will be to have mandatory speed controls (cameras) on trials/pistes.
snow conditions
I watched 2 people collide at the top of Trolles in Tignes last week. This was on a red section which leads to a black and would, you would think, only be used by skiers of a certain standard. The two chaps were unconscious for well over a minute whilst our cable car completed its journey. We stopped and told the piste rescue who were there seconds later.

5 minutes later one was standing and the other was sitting. Neither were wearing helmets and the outcome could have been very different.

I wouldn't dream of boarding without wearing a helmet and my wife wouldn't ski without hers. Its all very well saying that speed causes the accidents (it does, well loss of control/spacial awareness does) but if you are the slower person, in control, who gets hit, that doesn't really count for much.

We could all ski/ride at <15mph but that's just not going to happen, is it?
snow report
Interestingly california law requires all under 17 cyclists to wear helmets. (even though some us states don't even require a helmet on a motorbike)

Surely anything that de-risks winter sports without spoiling things is a good idea.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy