Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

the downhill

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
does anyone know if on a typical fis downhill do the competitors normally run from the top of the mountain all the way down to the village?
how long is the run? i have never seen a fis comp or even skied in a world cup resort to get an idea of the runs that the actually go down. they usually take 2-3 mins, how far do they travel?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ianbradders, The Wengen/Lauberhorn downhill which ran last weekend is by far the longest downhill on the tour at almost 2.8 miles in length. The winning time was 2m 32s. The race at Kitzbuhel this coming weekend is just over 2 miles, and the winning time last year was 1m 56s
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ive been to Chamonix & VD and skied the FIS trackes there
(Les Houches) The Chamonix downhill, that goes into village, but Les Houches is very small.
As does the Face in Val D, that finishes very near central VD.
The Ok in VD also goes into the quieter end of Val D.

The TV just does not do these tracks justice at all, and even a normal rec' skiier dosnt really either.
I have seen race training in both resorts and the speeds the athletes get is just unbelievable.

I did here the commentator on Eurosport (Nick Fellows) say that the averge rec skier takes 25 mins to get down the
Wengen track, compared to the winning racer last weekend 1 min 56.

The Face in Val is a little shorter and I seem to remember taking about 15 minutes from the gondola to get down. Embarassed
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ianbradders, the internet is a wonderful thing...

Quote:
Particular Rules for the different Disciplines
700 Downhill
701 Technical Data
701.1 Vertical Drop
701.1.1 Men's Courses
For Olympic Winter Games, FIS World Ski Championships, FIS World Cups and FIS Continental Cups
- 800 m (in exceptional cases 750 m, for Continental Cups 650 m) - 1100 m.
For all other FIS races:
- 500 m - 1100 m (Junior 700 m)
701.1.2 Ladies' Courses
For all competitions:
- 500 m - 800 m

701.2 Course Length
The course length has to be measured by a measuring tape, wheel or GPS and printed on the start and the results list.

But the actual course length is not mandated, nor are the number of gates.

The only DH course I've followed was at Sestriere in a group lesson. It took us about 15 minutes, including stops to get our breath back. The start slope was incredibly steep! Shocked
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy