Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what are prices like in Valmorel?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there.

does anyone who has been to Valmorel recently have any idea how much things like lunch cost on the slopes or in the restaurants in the evening? I cant really find out much information about this resort.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
polo99,

Hi polo99. Just returned from Valmorel and I'm sure your going to enjoy it alot. Snow conditions are perfect at the moment and we had knee deep powder every day.

Prices unfortunately are a little expensive but this is mainly due to the current exchange rate between the Euro and pound and not so much due to high resort prices compared to elsewhere ( although a local was telling me that they were trying to lower prices to make them more competitive against other savoir resorts ).

Small Beer - 3 euros
Pizza - 12 to 14 euros
Spag Bog - 10 euros
Coffee - 3.5 euros
Hot Choc - 4 euros
Lift Pass - 180 euros
Large Baguette - 0.90 euros
Large Flute - 1.10 euros
Crossiant - 0.90 euros

We went self catering and found that it was cheaper to buy beer and wine from the supermarket and drink in at night. Also the food for meals became cheaper this way by eating in but you can still pay some silly prices for common items found in England. Ie Nescafe small jar 3 euros, Pringles 3.5 euros and kellogs cereals 5 euros. Obviously if you buy the local or supermarket brands you can make bigger savings and pay similar prices to UK.

PM me if you want any more info or post your questions here.

If you've not been before you will love it and I rate it as one of my most favourite resorts ( everyone to their own taste ).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
many thanks for your reply. I tried to send you a pm but not sure if it worked or not lol

Are those prices for food on the piste? or in the restaurant?
I dont think we will be eating out much (if at all) during the evening. we are going self catering and last year in Austria we bought a large bottle of vegetable oil, bought a sack of potatoes and had chips every night lol. they were lovely. my mam says you can even buy a collapsable chip basket! last year we were so close to the slopes and the resort was so small that we used to go back to the apartment for lunch but this time say if we decide to ski over to francois de longchamps, i would like to be able to stop in the piste cafe for some lunch but with 4 of us, it will probably cost an arm and a leg....or both lol
what is a price for french fries or a coke on the piste? or burger or something like that?

do you mind me asking who you went with, where did you stay? any tips of what lift to get to avoid the queues? we are going with crystal and stying in the chalet du valmorel. how long did the transfer from the airport to resort take? the crystal website says about 3 and a half hours. is the journey a nice one or is it hairy on steep drops?many thanks
Karen
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
polo99,

Hi Karen

Sorry for the delay in replying but I have been busy preparing some housing for the arrival of our new chickens. Any way prices quote were for restuarants and bars. Bread was from bread shops and supermarkets.

We travelled independantly via a Thomsons flight out of manchester for Chambery but as posted by many others travelling on the 9th January 2010 the journey ended up being a nightmare due to bad weather affecting all of France. Having said that Tui who Thomsons and Crystal are part off acted appallingly and we were stranded at Lyon airport but that is another story. Crystal offer limited accomodation in Valmorel but it all tends to be near the pedestrian centre. The Mottet apartments ( which we stayed in ) and the valmorel apartments are a little out of the centre but are served excellantly by the Telebourg pedestrian lift and it as its own little area of sjhops and restuarants.

Transfers from Chambery are approx 1 hr and Lyon can be anywhere from 2 to 4 hrs depending on traffic and stops.

If you are an intermediate skier buy the Grand domaine pass as this serves Doucy and St Francoui and is a great easy long ski to both resorts but you will need to ski 1 slightly difficult blue if you are timmid. If not you will find it easy to get to both resorts.

If you are near the centre the Altispace chair lift is your best bet and queues were non existant when we went. If you are in the Mottet apartments you have a number of options.
1. Ski down to the Altispace lift
2. Walk or ski along a flat track for 100 mtrs to the pierrefont gondola.
3.Ski a little further along the flat track to a double chair lift serving the Creve Coeur area where the Valmorel apartments are.
4. Ski across the planchamp piste and follow a track to the Lanchettes chair. ( This is a great option if you are high enough up the resort or in the Athamante apartments )

Either way you have a number of options on beating morning queues. The same goes for comming back home and missing the M1 traffic on the Traverse.

You will love the resort. We had fresh powder snow upto our knees every day and conditions are still superb.

My advise is crassiants, Yoghurt, Toast, Juice and coffee for breakfast. Depending on where you are staying ski back to your apartment for sandwiches at dinner time to keep costs down and then eat a simple meal at night such as bread, cheese and meats, Pasta etc.

Local wine was only about 3.5 euros per bottle and a box of 24 stubbie ( 25ml ) largers was cheap enough ( I forget the price but friend said it worked out at about 80p per pint.

Sorry just seen in your post that you are in the Valmorel apartments ( Creve Coeur area ). You have three options. 1 and 2 are two seater chairs right next to apartments or the gondola which can be a little arkward as it requires a walk uphill ( not to bad ). But why walk when you can use a chair. Queues should be non existant.

I have posted link to their website which is great. Superb webcam and resort maps.

http://www.valmorel.com/en/winter-hollidays/valmo-live/the-resorts-webcams.html

http://www.valmorel.com/images/stories/pratique/Plan_Valmorel_hiver_2009-2010.pdf

http://www.skiplan.pro/flash/valmorel/planValmorel.php

If you have anymore questions please ask.

I love the resort and I am trying to arrange another visit this year if possible but I have 5 weeks in Wengen comming up so its difficult with time.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

trying to arrange another visit this year if possible but I have 5 weeks in Wengen comming up so its difficult with time.

you poor thing! five weeks in Wengen sounds pretty good. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w,

I have a dilema. I have been full time instructing know for 2 years and I have had a couple of agency's contact me about full time managerial work. ideal option would be to start a new managerial job after Easter but sods law says someone is going to offer me a position before I'm off to Swizterland.

What would you do Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for those websites. thats great. it is always difficult to imagine the slopes and mountains from a piste map, it is never what you imagined lol. I am trying to work out a route over to francois de longchamps.

Can you not tell the new company that you have holidays booked. surely companies would not expect you to cancel a holiday and lose money?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
polo99,

Unfortunately ( Or should I say fortunately ) its not a holiday I'm in Switzerland working instructing English School Kids.

The route over to St Francois is via the Col De Madaline. One of the web cams shows it and St Francois is over the col and down the other side. You want to give yourself approx 2 hrs to ski there and the same back. Watch out for the lift closer times on your return journey so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to get back or you are in big trouble as there are no roads back so a taxi is not an option.

If you want I will send you the route which is best suited to your skiing. Just let me know what level you are at. ie confident on all Blue runs, capable of skiing reds or expert.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hi supereagle.
I have had a look at the maps and if the valmorel apartments are in the creve coure area as you say, it is hard to tell which way the slope goes. if we get on the lift the closest to these apartments can we shimmy our way over? would it be best to start on the bois de le croix and then is it possible to ski down to the gondola? or do we ski down to the creve coure chair? we are blue run skiers, have done a couple of reds but would probably prefer to give them a miss if they are quite steep.

thanks for your help. much appreciated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
polo99,

I'm off to teach in a moment but when I get back this evening I will give you a route guide of which pistes to use.

Also if you want to PM me your address I will be happy to send you a spare piste map that I have which will be easier to read.

No problems with the runs they will all be relatively easy blues.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
polo99, I have PM'd you the directions and also I have included them in with the piste map that I have sent you.

I hope they are clear enough. If you are still not sure then just ask.

Any way in the mean time I have included them here on the post just incase anyone as any further suggestions.

I have based my wording on timid skiers. Anyone who is confident on all Blues and most Reds will find the runs very easy. Anyone who can make basic Snow Plough turns can do this route.

SKI DIRECTIONS
TO
ST FRANCOIS LONGCHOMP

STAYING IN CREVE COEUR AREA

1. TAKE THE CREVE COEUR DOUBLE IN FRONT OF THE SUPERMARKET SHERPA.

2. TAKE THE L'ORATOLLIN DU MOREL BLUE TRACK. YOU ACCESS THIS BY SKIING DIRECTLY ACROSS THE LES LANCHES PISTE. ( THIS IS THE ONE GOING DOWN DIRECTLY OFF THE CHAIR LIFT ). IT IS AN EASY BLUE TRACK BUT YOU NEED TO KEEP YOUR SPEED UP AS THERE ARE SOME FLAT SECTIONS. HOWEVER WATCH OUT AT THE INTERSECTION OF THE COMBE DU MOREL PISTE AS MANY SKIERS ARE GOING FAST DOWN AND OVER THE BRIDGE. CROSS AT THE INTERSECTION AND CONTINUE TO THE DRAG LIFT.

3. TAKE THE MOREL BUTTON LIFT TO THE TOP. THIS IS A FAIRLY FAST BUTTON SO WATCH OUT AT THE BEGINNING AS THERE CAN SOMETIMES BE A SHARP TUG.

4. SKI DOWN THE COMBE DE BEAUDIN AN EASY BLUE AND A GOOD OPPORTUNITY TO WARM YOUR MUSCLES UP WITH LOTS OF GENTLE EASY TURNS TO THE BIOLLENE CHAIR.

STAYING IN THE MOTTET AREA

1. ALTHOUGH YOU COULD TAKE THE PIERRAFORT GONDOLA I WOULD ADVISE NOT TOO AS THE START IS A LITTLE MESSY AND THERE ARE EASIER WAYS.

2. IF YOU ARE HIGH ENOUGH SKI ACROSS THE PLANCHAMP PISTE ( A BIT OF POLE PUSHING REQUIRED AT THE START ) AND TAKE THE PASSAGE DE LA CASCADE EASY BLUE TRACK TO THE LES LANCHETTES 2 MAN CHAIR.

3. TAKE THE LANCHETTES CHAIR.

4. AS YOU GET OFF THE CHAIR TURN LEFT AND TAKE THE EASY GELAZ BLUE PISTE. HERES A GOOD TIME TO GET YOUR LEGS WARMED UP TO THE BIOLLENE CHAIR.

ALTERNATIVELY

1. SKI DOWN THE PLANCHAMP PISTE. AN EASY RED. IT LOOKS STEEPER THAN WHAT IT IS BUT IT CAN SOMETIMES BE ICY IF THERE'S BEEN NO SNOW FOR A WHILE.

2. TAKE THE L'ALTISPACE 4 MAN CHAIR TO THE VERY TOP ( DO NOT GET OFF AT HALF WAY ).

3. EITHER TAKE THE STEEP BLUE START TO THE RIGHT OF THE CHAIR ONTO THE COMBE DE BEAUDIN PISTE OR

4. SKI FORWARD AND START THE COMBE DE BEAUDIN FROM THE FLAT AND SKI TO THE BIOLLENE CHAIR.

FROM THE BIOLLENE CHAIR

5. TAKE THE BIOLLENE 4 MAN CHAIR TO THE TOP.

6. TAKE THE LA VALETTE BLUE RUN RIGHT TO THE BOTTOM. AGAIN THIS IS A LONG EASY BLUE BUT IT AS SOME SHORT SECTIONS OF STEEP SLOPE ESPECIALLY NEAR THE BOTTOM.

7. TAKE THE 4 MAN MADELEINE CHAIR ( THIS IS THE ONE TO THE LEFT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE LA VALETTE PISTE ).

8. THERE ARE A NUMBER OF WAYS TO ST FRANCIOS FROM HERE BUT THE MOST DIRECT ROUTE IS THE LE FRENE PISTE. A VERY LONG EASY BLUE WHICH YOU WILL LOVE AS YOU CAN RELAX AND PRACTICE YOUR TURNS. STAY ON THIS PISTE RIGHT DOWN TO THE BOTTOM OF THE MOLLARET LIFT.

9. AT THE BOTTOM OF THE MOLLARET LIFT IS A GREEN TRACK WHICH TAKES YOU TO THE CENTRE OF THE VILLAGE. STOP HERE AND ENJOY A HOT CHOCOLATE WITH FRESH CREAM. YOU WILL HAVE EARNED IT.

10. YOU CAN CONTINUE ON TO ST FRANCIOS ALONG EASY GREEN TRACKS IF YOU WANT BUT GETTING BACK TO ST FRANCIOS LONGCHOMP REQUIRES A LOT OF UPS AND DOWNS AND YOU MAY BE PUSHED FOR TIME DEPENDING UPON HOW FAST YOU SKI. I WILL LEAVE THE DECISION UP TO yOU. ITS EASY ENOUGH TO WORK OUT ON THE PISTE MAP I HAVE SENT YOU.

SKI DIRECTIONS
BACK TO
VALMOREL

1. FROM THE VILLAGE CENTRE TAKE THE LUNE BLEUE CHAIR.

2. TAKE THE LEFT ROUTE OFF THE CHAIR ALONG THE EASY BLUE TRACK ( NOT NAMED ON THE PISTE MAP BUT WELL MARKED ) TO THE START OF THE FRENE CHAIR.

3. TAKE THE FRENE CHAIR.

4. FROM THE TOP OF HERE YOU HAVE A NUMBER OF CHOICES DEPENDING UPON HOW CONFIDENT YOU ARE FEELING.

5a. TAKE THE LA COL BLUE DOWN TO THE COL DU MADELEINE. YOU WILL NEED LOTS OF SPEED TO GET UP SOME STEEP BUMPS AND SOME POLE PUSHING IS REQUIRED ON SOME FLAT SECTIONS BUT WELL WORTH THE EFFORT TO SEE THE FAMOUS TOP OF THE COL DU MADELEINE TOUR DU FRANCE CLIMB. THE LAST SECTION REQUIRES A VERY FAST SHUSH SO AS TO BE ABLE TO GET UP THE STEEP BANK IN FRONT OF THE RESTAURANTS. STANDING WITH THE RESTAURANTS BEHIND YOU LOOK LEFT AND YOU WILL SEE A BLUE TRACK LA TOUR DU COL ( ALSO SIGN POSTED TO VALMOREL ). TAKE THIS TO JOIN THE LA MADELEINE PISTE ABOUT HALF WAY DOWN WITH A SMALL STEEPISH SECTION BUT LONG EASY FLAT BLUE RUN TO THE ROSET CHAIR. ( MY RECOMMENDATION )

5b. TAKE THE LA MADELEINE PISTE WHICH HAS SOME STEEP BITS IN IT AT THE START BUT A LONG EASY FLAT BLUE TO FINISH TO THE ROSET CHAIR.

5c. TAKE THE PLANCO RED RUN ( IT IS ABOUT THE SAME STEEPNESS AS THE LA MADELEINE PISTE BUT THIS DOESN'T GET PISTED MUCH SO IT CAN BE QUITE BUMPY ). IT JOINS UP WITH THE FLAT SECTION OF THE LA MADELEINE PISTE TO THE ROSET CHAIR.

5d. TAKE THE RED CANYON RUN A RELATIVELY EASY RED AND THEN THE BLUE LA GRANDE COMBE WITH SEVERAL OPTIONS ON WHERE TO GO. AGAIN I WILL LEAVE THE DECISION UP TO YOU ON THIS ONE AS IT WILL DEPEND UPON HOW MUCH TIME YOU HAVE AND HOW ENERGETIC YOU ARE FEELING. IT IS EASILY MARKED ON THE PISTE MAP.

6. TAKE THE ROSET 4 MAN CHAIR.

7. TURN LEFT AT THE TOP OF THE CHAIR ONTO THE LA RETOUR A VALMOREL PISTE.

8. FROM HERE YOU CAN EITHER TAKE THE LES TRAVERSES BACK HOME OR GO BACK UP THE BIOLLENE CHAIR AND RETURN VIA THE COMBE DU MOREL PISTE. HOPEFULLY YOU WILL HAVE HAD TIME TO GET TO KNOW YOUR FAVOURITE ROUTE BACK SO AGAIN THE DECISION IS YOURS.

IMPORTANT NOTES TO REMEMBER

1. GIVE YOURSELF ABOUT 2 HOURS TO GET THERE AND ABOUT THE SAME BACK.
2. TAKE A PACKED LUNCH AS PRICES CAN BE EXPENSIVE IN THE RESTAURANTS.
3. KEEP AN EYE ON THE WEATHER. DO THE TRIP ON A CLEAR DAY WITH GOOD VISIBILITY AS IT IS EASY TO TAKE THE WRONG ROUTE IF THE CLOUD IS LOW. ALSO VERY STRONG WINDS COULD CLOSE THE LIFTS TO THE TOP OF THE MADELEINE AND FRENE CHAIRS.
4. ENJOY AND DELIGHT IN THE FACT THAT YOU WILL HAVE SKIED SOME 15 TO 20 MILES DURING THE DAY WITH SOME FANTASTIC VISTAS.

ANY QUESTIONS OR FURTHER INFORMATION REQUIRED PLEASE DO NOT HESITATE TO ASK ME.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
wow that reply must have took you ages. I really appreciate it and I am really looking forward to my trip. 5 weeks to go. I will let you know how I get on.

Kind Regards
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy