Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slalom skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Ischgl in a few weeks and would like to hire a pair of slalom skis for some on-piste fun. I hired some Elan SLX on holiday in Slovenia last year and loved them but I guess Elan probably won't be as readily available in Austria? Can anyone recommend similar skis from Atomic or Volkl, both of which I guess should be readily available in Austria. I have looked on their websites and they both seem to have a large selection of "race" skis. Should I expect Volkl or Atomic skis to be stiffer than the Elans?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lynseyf, 4 years ago when Mrs UANN skied on Volkls we reckoned the Elans were stiffer. They were certainly more fun.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lynseyf, Atomic SL12 and the volkl are tiger sharks other options are Salomon 3V and Head WC. You might be suprised a number of Austrian Rental shops stock Elans Happy renting
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lynseyf Elans do not generally have the reputation of being particularly stiff, so I'm a bit surprised by under a new name's comment - although he may have got "Race" Elan's vs "retail" Volkls. There should be also be plenty of Head SLs around in Austria, and they come if different grades - the higher performance ones tend to be a bit stiffer than the corresponding Elans. If you're a strong skier, Head SL RDs are fantastic fun and I can thoroughly recommend them. Also Atomic have a reputation for having very stiff tails, so punch hard out of turns, but punish you if you get it wrong. Less likely to find them in Austria, but Stocki Laser SLs (or 4-Ds) are great too - I've just bought a couple of pairs S/H.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lynseyf, just back from Ischgl and lots of peeps were on Elan SX / SLX hire skis so you should be able to find them - nice looking ski Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
GrahamN, yep, race Elans, vs "retail" Volkls...Heads a good idea indeed!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, will probably stick with the Elans as I really loved them although might give the Heads a go.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
lynseyf, personally i love the Rossi Radical WCs and the softer 9S's are also super fun, but in my experience of rentals in Austria (a few years ago now mind you) you'll be able to get hold of Volkl Racetiger SL pretty much everywhere, which my sister still skis and rates highly.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
lynseyf, Another vote for Volkl Racetiger SLs if you are looking for a true slalom ski
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have race stock Elan SLX and love them... but trying to get a Volkl Racetiger slalom now - because I really really love my Volkl Racetiger GS even more than my Elan GSX

GrahamN, Stockli Laser SL - NICE - I loved mine Very Happy (damn you are making me want them too)
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another vote for Stockli Laser SL. Awesome edge hold and super quick edge to edge.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lynseyf, stick with the Elans! I have a pair of my sons ex-race WC slx and I LOVE THEM! They are so forgiving, not at all stiff, and on the ice they just hold and hold. I used to ski the Völkl race tiger but feel the Elan is a more solid ski.I dont think there should be a problem hiring them in Austria, they just may not have them on display Puzzled
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy