Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Book with earlybird brochures or wait till later

Poster: A snowHead
Do you think it is worth booking early with the preview brochures or waiting for the first editions?
We are trying to plan for next Feb trip and wondered what others thought?
thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We book in October last year, for February half-term. We were looking to spend about £700pp halfboard/catered (kit and ski school on top of that) and found that we had about three choices of resort and accommodation. I'm already planning next year's trip and will be booking it within the next month.

If you're not looking at half-term week you could leave it until, quite literally, the last minute. A mate of mine has gone to Selva having booked three days before departure. Saved about £350 on the list price, IIRC. OTOH, if half-term is your week, book sooner, rather than later.

Of course, if you have a large party that you're travelling with, late deals may not be much use. If it's just the two of you, and you're flexible enough and don't mind less- luxurious accommodation as you're there to ski, book late.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Beware the half terms, as Hywel has said. Ours is Saturday 12 Feb next year, though some areas are the week after. I'm looking to book as soon as possible. I booked next Christmas last week with Neilsens and all flights from Birmingham had already gone! School hols are always a nightmare. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
there is a group of us (7-12) so we are thinking of booking early
good advice on the half term front too thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are just in a process of booking a group of 12 for Christmas, worth doing so at least it's done and you know what you are doing, especially if you need kids clubs, creches etc like we do. If there are only two, I wouldn't dream of booking more than couple of weeks before!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob and sharon, for a group at a popular time, or if you really want a particular hotel or chalet you'd be well advised to book early - but why not consider doing it independantly ? Almost certainly will be cheaper and you have enough to hire a minibus for the transfers. Your only problem will be that the cheap airlines won't have their schedules in place for a while. But you might get a good deal on scheduled by booking well in advance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I book direct, as soon as I know (or as soon as flights are available), so, for example, I will book the ESA in a couple of weeks, and by the end of April, I'll probably have paid a deposit for a room at the Lodge in Snowbird. I'll book the flights as soon as they are available.

hyweljenkins, just did a quick bit of maths there... if you leave out the cost of the ESA this year, my flights and accomodation would have worked out at around £550, if I'd booked early, but in the end cost £650. That was based on 2 sharing a twin room, breakfast included. I'm hoping to get flight and accomodation for ESA 06 for around £650, but I haven't seen the final details yet.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
rob and sharon, as they say, it depends if you're after a trip in peak periods. I just tried an availabilty request for half term 2006, and I'm too late Shocked
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rob and sharon, are you JOKING? No. No. And then No again. TO bookings are always cheaper the later you leave it, even for term-time dates.

The only reason you'd bother to pay full whack is if you want a specifically named accomodation in a specific resort at a specific time of year, and your situation offers no leeway on these requirements. There are about 5 of these: familes with school-age kids whose schools are draconian about no term-time holidays, parents travelling with babies, large group at xmas or new years, or you've got your heart set on a particular resort and nothing/one will change your stubborn mind.

Otherwise, the rest of us leave it till the last minute, check where the snow is, and check out the deals at whatever accomodation in whatever resort pretty much fits the bill.

I've never paid much more than 50% of the brochure price - except for the one time I paid full whack (my wedding anniversary). But even then it wasn't necessary and I wouldn't bother doing it again -paying full whack, that is, not the wedding anniversary wink
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Manda, I think large groups at any time are probably going to struggle with late booking, half the fun of going with 11 other people is all being in the same chalet after all! This particularly applies if you're going later in the season and want to book something higher up.

Having said that, I've done late availability as a couple and got a great deal in Val so if it were just the two of us, I'm not sure I'd book in advance unless it was christmas/new year.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you want to be together get as many as you can to agree, and book the chalet you want, getting an early booking discount. 11-12 is not a bad number to get a late full occupancy booking however. It just may not be in the resort of your choice. The right chalet in the right resort for you has to be worth paying a few bob extra for
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
rob and sharon, As you're a group you do need to think about booking early....just bear in mind that often TO's don't have confirmed contracts with the hotels in the preview brochures so check first before booking! One other tip....we booked preview once before and when the first edition came out the prices had gone down!! Check what their policy is before committing....we got out money back but it took a bit of effort!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Normally only me and the wife but this yearwe found it extremely difficult to actually get the resort we wanted by booking late.
Booking late can result in fantastic savings but bear in mind you must be prepared to go anywhere and normally the cheap prices available are for resorts who either are having a poor season ( due to lack of snow ) or you are staying in a managed lodge / hotel on weeks which are quiet.

I tried to book at the beginning of Nov 2004 for le duex alps at christmas 2004 but the only availability in a high ski area was Sauze D'oulx ( Actually as it turns out we ended up with the best ski conditions of all this season ). and at the beginning of Dec 2004 for Valmorel in January 2005. We spent a full day in the travel agents before we finally came across something for Valmorel but not on our prefered week. ( Although again the snow conditions were fantastic.

The moral to this story is if you really want to stop in a particular hotel or ski in a particular resort then book early. ( Although it may cost you a little more you still have a long time to save up for the trip ) Also I would advise that if you want kids in Kindergarden again book early so that you can guarantee a place for the kiddies. I am looking to take my god daughter next year at 4 years old and I want to know what we are getting. Her mother is looking to go early April this year and is struggling to find suitable accomadation.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
As an aside to this subject, my sister in law is in charge of booking our Christmas holiday skiing trip (9 adults and 6 kids), and we already can't get the accommodation we wanted in Courcheval with Mark Warner.. can't believe it, are now having to rethink! And I thought we were organised...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sallyanne, Mark Warner's childcare facilities get booked up very early indeed for the school holidays. I understand that a lot of people pay the deposit for their next holiday immediately after returning from the first one. I have also heard that the Dahu in Courchevel is a very popular chalethotel.
snow conditions
Super Eagle wrote:
.... We spent a full day in the travel agents before we finally came across something ....

That's where you're going wrong then....travel agents are completely the wrong place to go looking for a late holiday! Get on the internet, take a look at the main sites such as Iglu, but most of all spend ages browsing the websites of the small companies. You get better deals, better service and don't waste all day with an Agent who only wants to sell you the holiday that gives them the best commission! It's just as time consuming but you get a better result!
snow report
I have to say homphomp that your statement is only true if you are prepared to take anything.

I use the internet alot for holiday searches and I have to say it is hit and miss as to wether there are better bargins available.

Take Valmorel where I went on my last holiday. Hotel I wanted to stay in is in a perfect location. right at the bottom of the piste and across from the lift. Going independent would have cost me more. only other availabilities were chalets which are away frrom resort centre and piste's. Cheaper yes but more hassle when traveling around resort.

My point was you gets what you pays and unless you are prepared to sacrifice curtain things then be prepared to pay for your preferences.
ski holidays
I'm feeling smug because I've managed to book BA flights to Geneva for next Feb half term. Not cheap at around £220 return, but a lot less hassle than the free tour of Germany I've had to take last 2 years. Easyjet came in at £185 each way this year!
snow report
I usually leave it to the last minute to book to go on a package holiday. Normally I would leave it until 2 days before in order to book, to get the best bargains. Next week a friend of mine is going to Tignes, I was planning on getting a late deal and being out there at the same time as her. Last week Mark Warner sold out their chalet hotel in Tignes, and it was quite difficult to find a package to the resort. I didn't save very much money in the end. Just thought I'd let you all know, to muddy the water a little.
ski holidays
rob and sharon, if you are a group and travelling during peak season then book soon. I usually book for around 9 people and have to book within the next month or so to ensure we are all in the same hotel. Most operators, especially in small resorts tend to only have a handful of rooms per hotel. This mainly refers to Austria, other countries are probably different. Plus, most offer a £50-75 discount per person and other group offers if you book on-line.
latest report
Kramer, yes you're right about the Dahu and Mark Warner. We booked Mark Warner in Val instead, childcare also booked now. Seems crazy doesn't it. When I was in Courcheval first week February I popped up to the Dahu for a recce and had a chat, and the shiny young chalet boy told me that I was probably already too late and he was right...
snow report
Super Eagle wrote:
I have to say homphomp that your statement is only true if you are prepared to take anything.

I use the internet alot for holiday searches and I have to say it is hit and miss as to wether there are better bargins available.

Take Valmorel where I went on my last holiday. Hotel I wanted to stay in is in a perfect location. right at the bottom of the piste and across from the lift. Going independent would have cost me more. only other availabilities were chalets which are away frrom resort centre and piste's. Cheaper yes but more hassle when traveling around resort.

My point was you gets what you pays and unless you are prepared to sacrifice curtain things then be prepared to pay for your preferences.

True...you get what you pay for, I wasn't implying that you should take anything that's going just becaus you're booking late on the internet. My point is that most of the Travel Agent push mainstream TO's who almost invariably have online booking services with around £25 per person discount for booking online. It just takes time and effort to look through each site to see what's on offer that meets your requirements - that's all that the Agents are doing after all. We've booked everything up to 4* hotels this way, it doesn't have to be the dregs that's on offer!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy