Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using narrower skins on wider skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have skins cut for ski dimensions 125-90-116. I've tried them this weekend on a ski with 136-104-xxx dimensions. Ski length is almost the same. The skins seemed fine but that was a pretty easy track.

Do I have to get a second pair of skins for any sort of steeper climbs or can I make do with the current ones?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
at some point you will start slipping and it will probably be somewhere where you would really rather not slip!

2 solutions:

1. apply the skin in a "wiggly" (as opposed to just straight down the middle of the ski) manner so you get a bit of skin near both edges. this can be quite effective up to a point

2. this is much better - get a sharp knife and cut the skin lengthways so it splits from about 6-9 inches away from the ends of the skin (that's probably not very well explained - the end of the skin will be intact but the bit under your foot is split.) then, when you apply the skin you make sure the strips are near the edges. this works very well indeed but does require a bit of care when handling the skins - more bits to stick to eachother. Colltex produce something like this which you can buy off the shelf but why bother when you can make your own Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
why would you slip more. Surely you have the same traction as if you were on 125-90-116 skis. Would you buy wider skis just so you don't slip so easy.

Just traverse more or use crampons when it gets steep.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
stevev wrote:
why would you slip more. Surely you have the same traction as if you were on 125-90-116 skis. Would you buy wider skis just so you don't slip so easy.

I'm guessing here but proabably because the pressure from the foot is spread across the ski and not all this pressure is transmitted further down to the skin. e.g. When skinning up at an angle where the ski touches the snow.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stevev wrote:

No you don't have as much traction as if you were on 125-90-116 skis. When you have narrow skins on wide skis you have less pressure on the skins as some of the pressure is spread across the uncovered bases. Less pressure on the skins equals less friction. Fat skis with full skin coverage don't let you climb steeper than skinny skis with full skin coverage.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 18-01-10 13:27; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stevev, i guess i must have imagined it when it happened to me rolling eyes

as soon as you are on a sidehill in remotely firm snow, you need skin near the edge of the ski or else you will barely be able to go uphill at all. crampons help but a lot of people find them a pain in the butt
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno wrote:
stevev, i guess i must have imagined it when it happened to me rolling eyes

as soon as you are on a sidehill in remotely firm snow, you need skin near the edge of the ski or else you will barely be able to go uphill at all. crampons help but a lot of people find them a pain in the butt

That's exactly what I was thinking of - slipping when only the area near the edge of the ski bites into snow.

Great idea to split the skins in the middle, I could still use them for both pairs of skis. Thanks.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fair enough, I can see now that if your edging the skis then lack of skins would not help.

Is it not just easier to buy some proper sized skins. The shop even trimmed mine for me, saved a lot of hassle.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
horizon, sell me yours cheap and buy another set Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski, good try Toofy Grin but I still have the other skis. I'll probably use the skins more often on those!

stevev, I can buy extra ones of course. Just thought of saving the money and the extra baggage.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
horizon, Crying or Very sad

but seeing as some folk sell 'split' skins it's be worth a try I'd say!

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en-us/shop/ski/skins/ascension-nylon-split-sts
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy