Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Under Armour base layers

Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone use them? I have been looking at base layers and the Patagonia Capilene range seems to receive decent reviews but is slightly more expensive than the Under Armour range and I slightly prefer the look of the Under Armour range. It has also been recommended to me for football over the winter in the past so I feel it may have a more universal application than the Patagonia range.

Does anyone have any experience with it?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I wear Under Armour stuff for Skiing and Boarding, its really good. I wear the same top as a baselayer for running and rugby.

Top notch stuff, just make sure you buy the from 'Cold Gear' range.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My missus uses it and highly rates it, I use similar stuff from Nike.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
raymorgan901, thanks for that. May I ask where you got your UA stuff from? Pro4Sport seems to be the cheapest place, followed by ProDirect Soccer. Did you get the ColdGear Mock? And what type - compression, fitted or relaxed? I'm thinking I should go for compression whilst I have the figure to pull it off. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Use the compression, it helps reduce muscle fatigue. Bought all ours from gridiron departments of US sports stores, so can't help on where to buy.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I get mine from Pro-direct, they are reasonably priced and their customer service is excellent.

Yeah its the Cold Gear Mock and as midgetbiker said the compression help reduce muscle fatigue
http://www.prodirectrugby.com/prodinfo.asp?PID=PDR-007-040-019&BRAND=40&SS=1&GROUP=CG
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lovell rugby also good, and have offers on canterbury stuff at mo, and Stash baselayers look great aswell.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I figure I'll make a visit to the Pro4Sport shop as their warehouse store is about 10 minutes drive from my house. Will probably pay them a visit tomorrow afternoon and have a look around.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Astraeus, Linebreak are good, and cheaper than Under Armour - also better fitting in my experience. Available at good prices from here.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hurtle wrote:
Astraeus, Linebreak are good, and cheaper than Under Armour - also better fitting in my experience. Available at good prices from here.

Thanks for the link. It's slightly more expensive than Under Armour though so I shall go and have a look at some stuff tomorrow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Astraeus,
Quote:

It's slightly more expensive than Under Armour

Oh, sorry. I'm getting confused between Under Armour and Skins cost-wise. However, I have worn Under Armour and personally find the cut of the Linebreak leggings much more comfortable. Trying them on before buying is probably a good plan, therefore.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quick question about the UA base layers - what are they like with regard to the smell after sweating? I'm not particularly prone to sweating but don't want something to hold the pong!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've worn UA Cold Gear as a base layer for American Football, Cycling and Skiing for the past 5 years plus, can't fault it at all. Super warm, I wear them as an only layer under a jacket, adding a T-shirt if its really cold. Very hard wearing, I'm still on my original set, only way you can see that it isn't new are tears on the leggings from bailing whilst cycling. Fairly expensive but you definately get a lot of usage out of it.

With regards to smell, having just got back from a week in Austria and my top & leggings being worn for 6 days of pretty hard skiing they barely smell at all which I was pleasantly surpised at!

Edit: Definately get the Mock neck top!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
afrothunder88,
Quote:

top & leggings being worn for 6 days of pretty hard skiing

Shocked Going green
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Last year i used Nike pro (not cold gear) from SportsDirect which I already had for football, but also found that TK Maxx had Canterburry of New Zeland cold weather tops for about £10. I was warm in both of these, even wearing only a base layer under a ski jacket.

In my opinion they definately do a good job of keeping you warm but also wicking away the moisture for the more sweaty skier.
ski holidays
I have just bought the SKINS Snow long sleeved top (compression) and have found that it truly does perform well, keeps you warm etc. Unfortunately, the store i was buying from had sold out of the leggings and so instead I purchased the SKINS sports. They say on the packet that they keep you cool!!! Dunno if that will be the desired effect, I am hoping it uses wicking technology that will just remove the moisture away from my legs and that my salopettes alone wil provide insulation to keep my legs warm. I suspect that these leggings will provide insulation. Anybody tried the SKINS range in here and know if there is a huge difference behind the SNOW and SPORT range? TBH my legs hardly ever feel the cold, its usually my upper body and as my legs will be doing most the work, they should stay warm. I purchased them for the muscle fatigue and performance purposes rather than warmth.

I would highly suggest buying compression wear even if it is expensive, like afrothunder88 said, it is very hard wearing, so its usually a one time shell out.
latest report
never noticed much difference between all the hot \ cold stuff.. I never get that cold anyway so just use the lightest versions.. the Hot stuff tends to be better wicking, but then my Hot canterbury baselayer is thicker then my canterbury compression top and wicks the same..

some are hard wearing, but skins for the money are poor...from my experience most compression wear has a limited life if used regularly
snow report
papasmurf, I find there's massive difference between Underarmour cold and hot. The cold gear is much thicker and has a brushed feel to the inside and is quite different from my Canterbury cold gear top. The Underarmour hot gear is really thin in comparison and has a different finish.
ski holidays
never used them, but i might give em a go now.
this looks cheaper
http://www.milletsports.co.uk/running/base-layer/under-armour?source=google_ppc_uk&gclid=CPvw6pOzrp8CFceX2Aod_xlt0Q
ski holidays
Astraeus, re the gear smelling after use, it should be wicking the sweat through and so (within reason) not ponging. Begs the question where the sweat and so pong ends up though? Jacket?
snow report
ricfrench, that's a good spot - a good few quid cheaper. Still, I'm quite keen on trying the items on before buying them so time to find a Millet store!
ski holidays
Quote:

never used them, but i might give em a go now.
this looks cheaper
http://www.milletsports.co.uk/running/base-layer/under-armour?source=google_ppc_uk&gclid=CPvw6pOzrp8CFceX2Aod_xlt0Q

Are those prices only for on line purchases or do they apply in the store?
snow report
Astraeus wrote:
ricfrench, that's a good spot - a good few quid cheaper. Still, I'm quite keen on trying the items on before buying them so time to find a Millet store!

Confused myself there by thinking that Millet Sport was interchangeable with Millets. Not so, so it's back to Pro4Sport for me. It's less than £1 more once you factor in shipping but means I can go into the shop and try them on.
ski holidays
Aaahhhhh - me too thought it was the same as Millets Embarassed
snow report
no no no its not outdoor people Millets, seems they are just stuck with the same name, just talked the OH into investing in a set each. been using some cheap stuff, supposed to be wicking and all that (go)nads but just done a couple of hours today, snowboarding at Hemel, my top smells like a rugby players jock strap--------mingin, absolutely mingin :evil
ski holidays
Miles, I have the standard Skins and the Skins Snow. The Snow versions have a soft, brushed inner and do offer more warmth. I have used only the Snow versions for skiing but have used both versions for cycling to work (even during our local snowfall over the past couple of weeks) and I felt the difference between the standard and Snow leggings.
latest report
I got some under armour from millets sports, only one problem, I am fairly upset it doesn't make me look like the photo Sad

I would sue someone, but I'm not sure who: under armour, mc donalds or stella artois Puzzled
snow conditions
just ordered some from millet sports after trying on at my local JJB. £60 on-line inc delivery as opposed to £75 from JJB Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
halfhand,Looks like this company are going to have a good month, I've just ordered a set for me and the OH for £106 pretty good prices if you ask me
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy