Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Beat - the worst ski trip experience ever?

Poster: A snowHead
I've been with Ski Beat years ago and always been satisfied, but a friend went last month and said the food was awful because the host couldn't cook properly.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been away with Ski Beat a few times in the past. The chalet staff were all young, largely under trained and under supervised. Therefore the quality of the experience was somewhat mixed and a bit of a lottery. If the chalet staff were remotely conscientious (most were to be fair), then you'd have a pleasant holiday. SB accommodation was usually OK and well located. The horror reports I'd guess, are coming from losing the 'staff lottery'. The 'party' is coming before the job. Our trips with SB were always 'lads' not family. We never had high expectations and if the staff were hitting the beer a bit large, we tended to join them. wink
Ski Beat the company, could well be struggling in the current climate?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

could well be struggling in the current climate?

If it is the same Ski Beat Ltd in Companies House, I'd say that's possible. Just avoided a compulsory strike off. Shareholders funds in deficit by a lot. Confirmation statement well overdue. Auditor resignation. Never fully know what's going on but it doesn't look good when there are red flags.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/02510600/filing-history

ATOL certificate link just goes to ATOL.

Looks like now Irish owned but run from Brighton.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
i can’t imagine having to get on annoying airplanes to go skiing. uggg. F that. happy i’m in driving distance of tons of massive resorts.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@eaglesandsnowboarding, jolly good for you
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Avabrunch, that catalogue of errors from Companies House is revealing. So much is now lined up against those "cheap and cheerful" chalet companies (with which we had good holidays in the past). Covid and Brexit were hammer blows. And somewhere recently on Snowheads there was a post from someone who'd been to a French chain of hotels known to be in the "good value for families" category who complained against rooms which were "verging on tired", or words to that effect. And there are often complaints that bathrooms which were warm and clean with plenty of hot water were "due for refurbishment". Some customers who pay very ordinary prices seem to have extraordinary expectations. Those of us (and we are many) who enjoyed the "Mountainsun" place in Tignes knew to look beyond these things. wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@eaglesandsnowboarding, you must have a strange definition of a massive resort if you think there are any in easy driving distance of Prague. You won't be doing any day trips, that's for sure! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Origen, you can look beyond a bathroom which is cold, dirty and has no hot water? I can't! I don't need cakes for tea, or free wine, or fancy food or decor, but there are limits and being clean and warm is one of them!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Je suis un Skieur, driving 6-9 hours is wayyyyy better than the horrendous world of air travel
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Hurtle, We use the same hymn book - clean bed, shower + loo, hot water, clean room in that order. If breakfast includes real coffee (not "instant") then better still!
The ultimate indulgence is twin quilts - one for She Who Expects to be Obeyed and one for me - that way we avoid squabbles during the night
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Hurtle, I read what @Origen wrote as being surprised that people in a "value" hotel that has adequate hot water and cleanliness complain that the decor is tired.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quite right, @sugarmoma666, have re-read what I wrote, which I think was quite clear. wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Origen, sorry. Must curb tendency to skip-read.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Avabrunch, Oh dear. Crying or Very sad
As you've said, the days of the cheap and cheerful chalet companies may be coming to an end and sadly the seasonaire opportunities for young Brits will disappear with them. All four of my kids either worked in the ski industry in one way or another. Two as seasonaires. They all cherish the memories.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Hurtle, snowHead
snow report
Except that they're not cheap at all.
ski holidays
Just checked back and we paid £750 per person for a shared chalet in Meribel the week before February half term in 2017. That included flights and transfers. I wouldn't say "cheap and cheerful", the chalet was decent enough. Staff were good and the food was nice. The promised in resort transfer kept driving past us full up, but that was the only annoyance. By the time Covid hit in 2020 we had "upgraded" and were paying 1350 euros each for a very nice chalet with great food, but accommodation only. That same type of chalet now is about £1800 each...

We have only ever been on shared chalet holidays and it is always about the staff. We had a great young couple cooking in St Anton one year. The week we were there they got engaged and decided to leave straight after our week. I went past the kitchen and they were training a young guy how to boil eggs... As above though, shared chalets are few and far between now, certainly in the 3V, and nothing much at all at that lower price point. Don't think you'll get much below 4 figures these days.
snow report
We've pretty much given up trying to find chalets now. Snowretreat remain amazing value. However, I note they've dropped down from three chalets last year to two this year and seem to be struggling to get up to full occupancy even then. Chalet Leman is still available at £650 a person catered from in week beg 17th Feb and availability at similar prices in future weeks. We stayed there last year and it was a great chalet in a good location. I'm amazed they don't have full occupancy at the prices they're offering.
ski holidays
Canuck wrote:
Except that they're not cheap at all.

Where is cheap without throwing every semblance of quality down the toilet? I travel DIY because it suits, not because it's cheap. In fact, quite often a similar TO package would be cheaper. Please show me your cheap. I'm curious.
ski holidays
I'm not quite following your comment/question. But for context, there's 8 of us going on holiday, 5 adults, 3 children. We've paid about £1,000pp before extras. This is a special holiday for us, a treat. Not something we can afford to do often. So, not cheap in my eyes anyways Smile
ski holidays
I don't get it, I thought Ski Beat were doomed due to this thread?
snow conditions
Fridge03 wrote:
I don't get it, I thought Ski Beat were doomed due to this thread?
the power of snowHead eh
ski holidays
26 pages over 14 years!

There’s something to be said about locking old threads. If that’s technically possible, admin?

(There’s also a thread in the apres someone resurrected from 10 years back!)
snow report
Hello, still here! Ironically, I was thinking of Ski Beat just the other day. I’ve skied several times a year, across 12 countries in 3 continents, more resorts than I can remember, and until this week, my worst experience was 2 days in various airports then backing up an Italian motorway in fog on a bus driven by an knackered driver with a coach load of wailing toddlers exhausted by a 48 hour journey to cover what should have been a much shorter journey, followed by the Garry and Terry mansplaining double act.

But it wasn’t the resurrection of this thread that made me think of that week. Btw, whoever resurrected it, wtf were you thinking? Laughing It always kicks off an argument of some kind! It was the fact that I have just had (after 14 years of very happy skiing experiences between the original post on this thread and now) an experience that made me think ‘this is even worse than that Ski Beat trip!’ DIY trip, we’ve ended up leaving a hotel which was substantially misadvertised, and after complaining about rampant mould in the bedroom the cleaner rather clumsily went through our possessions in the room, found my Go Pro in my handbag, and accused us of using it to film him. After that we had threats from the hotel manager so have left and gone somewhere nicer. Not going to leave it at a flounceo, there will certainly be repercussions for the hotel, however it’s my last day skiing with my boy so we are going to enjoy that first before Pandora’s Box is opened and we get serious with our follow up.

The majority of resort staff are lovely people, and even when conditions and facilities are less than desirable it is possible with a bit of decent people-power to make an average situation an enjoyable one. People who work in holiday resorts are generally there for the love of it, as on the whole it will never make them rich, and for the most part their enthusiasm rubs off on people around them. But get a bad one, and it affects everyone around them. Get one with disdain for the holidaymaker, and frankly those people should not be in that job, for their sake and everyone else’s. Get as far as criminal activity though, and I’m after their head on a stick. Fortunately situations like this are few and far between. I am lucky these days that I have the funds and positive mental attitude to just go somewhere else when I don’t like the atmosphere. I think back to the holidays of years ago though when I had spent our entire holiday budget on a package I’d hoped would be my young family’s one week of the year of enjoyment and having that excitement quashed from the off, and know there are lots of other people in that boat still who can’t just move if they don’t like it. And that is why I will be kicking off about the latest pile of incompetence, rudeness and wrongdoing.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy