Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz: Good for expert/off piste skier?

Poster: A snowHead
A friend of mine just booked with Club Med Avoriaz going out next week and suggested that I should join him.
I usually ski places like St Anton, Chamonix and VdI. I don't know anything about Avoriaz/PDS - being a long time experienced skier I am a bit concerned that so far not having heard from other experienced skiers about the "greatness" of this area that it is probably not really that interesting for me to go out there. I was hoping that someone here can let me know if this is an appropriate area for expert skiers and has some challenging skiing to offer. Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hi snowman, im fairly new to skiing and have not been to any of the resorts you have previously visited. However i have been to Avoriaz of the PDS 5 times in 6 years, still not covered it all. Avoriaz seems to label itself as a beginners resort but i totally disagree. There is 3 green runs in the whole place and the majority are blue, reds and blacks. There is a lot of off piste accessable from venturing just off the runs so i would recommend it to you. The "swiss wall" is a popular spot, on the border of france and switzerland. hope this helps you slightly! go and give it a go, i dont think you would be dissapointed!!!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowman, Never been myself and have fairly limited knowledge, but a family friend of ours is a very good off piste skiier who likes the steep & deep spent a week in Morzine (next to Avoriaz) and had an enjoyable time.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snowman, I went last year, it wouldn't have normally been on the radar but was offered a mate's apartment for virtually nothing so went for it. I only lasted three days before I had an accident so barely scratched the surface, I didn't ski anything I would describe as 'knee trembling', the couloirs I was told about on a forum before I went were fun but nothing special but looking around if you were prepared to hike for the goodies there appeared to be some very sick lines around - and it is so vast I would be amazed if you couldn't find a whole number of lines which will give you what you are looking for. We had a day with a guide and went to the back and beyond and never saw another person. I am sure there are enough Morzine and Avoriaz Snowheads who can give you the full picture, What really impressed me was how easy it was still to find fresh so many days after a snowfall which is always a big thumbs up for me.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snowman, It's a ski area you need to do. There's load of interesting and challenging stuff for all abilities. Send a PM tp Flyingstantoni for more info, as he has a great knowledge of the resort. The Swiss Wall is challenging, but depends on conditions. There is enough skiing to keep anyone happy. Give at a go. Cool
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wow, that sounds all very good....thanks a lot guys. This is going to be my 34th season of skiing, having skied pretty much all the top places in Europe I had really giving up finding new places, but it looks like this could be one worth adding to my collection. Not really looking for extreme skiing type stuff this time but I still do not want to get bored out of mind for a whole week. The snow conditions seem to be really good at moment and more snow is forecast for the coming week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowman, You won't get bored with the PdS. Have great time. Cool
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowman, I have friends from your neck of the world over there in our place this week. There will be enough to keep you occupied, surprised you have not heard about the PdS. Have Kef!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Roy Hockley, toda Laughing
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
there is ample skiing for a week, klike i said ive skied there for 5 weeks now, still not covered it all. You will be fine
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd say! Check out the terrain to the lookers right and left of the Swiss wall/Chavanette. Some fun to be had there!!

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snowman, Can be a good as anywhere - best lines are the ones you need to hike to generally. North face of Pointe du Cheseries, Pointe du Vorlaz, Valley of the Queens, Pointe Anglon etc etc . I lived there for awhile and never got bored.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks a lot for all the positive feedback....I was taking notes all along.
Their website says +15cm new snow today!!!

As I said I would be staying at the Club Med who offer off piste guiding. Just in case that this does not work out, any recommendation for a good guide?

Where do I go for a good ski service?
Good bootfitter?

Cheers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jacqui at ESF Montriond is very good. He will get you to the goods.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
snowman,
Mike Hammond at www.skiskills.co.uk
latest report
snowman, I'm amazed that an Expert/Off Piste skier would need to ask such a question, all you need is a mountain and some imagination when you can ski like an expert. Puzzled
latest report
Hi how did you enjoy your skiing in Avoriaz Im taking the family there on 3rd January also staying at Club Med I didnt know they did off piste guidijng to be honest but have done a few weeks with ESF and piste to tpowder so if thats available im keen. This is our first club med holiday how did you find it?
snow report
Went there in January this year. We were in the group just below the 'expert' top level. It was all guided/taught off piste in a pretty mixed bunch of anglophones. For an ESF instructor ours was very keen to instruct, perhaps too much! Arrogant and abusive which was hilarious.

Every day we came back to the ClubMed hotel although midweek we did a 'route' over the mountain to Les Gets and had lunch over there.

Thoroughly enjoyed the week. There is a lot of off-piste very accessible and not as hard skied as Tignes which I also visited last year.

That expanse to the right of the Swiss Wall is sweet and comes down nicely'ish to a run.
snow report
Ace I can't wait to go now
Did Esf supply off piste rucksack with transceiver probes shuffle ? Or Was it just skiing at the side of the piste?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy