Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Problems Replacing Toe Piece - Strolz Boot

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hoping somebody might have across the same problem as me and found a solution.

I replaced the soles on my Strolz boots and I cannot get the toe piece to sit flush:

I pretty sure I have right toe pieces - they were bought from the Strolz shop in Zurs and I was wearing the boots at the time. They are the current model.

I have checked all the usual suspects - screws done up tight, nothing between the boot and toe piece, tried several toe pieces (because I bought a few spares), but the problem persists, and on both boots. Suggests some sort of systemic problem. Unfortunately I threw away the old toe pieces before I fitted the new ones, so I do not have them as a baseline (d'ohhh!).

Strolz could not offer any useful suggestions. They asked me to ship the boots back. Not a useful suggestion.

Any ideas, andybody?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
may be worth having a chat with Steve at Glade & slide in Otley, www.glideslide.co.uk he is stroltz agent in the uk, and may be able to help
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CEM, questionable recommendation. YMMV.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yeah, thanks CEM, but have not had any success in talking with ski shops. The consistent response has been "forward the boots to us". A bit of an issue from Melbourne, Australia.

Have to say this has made me think twice about my next pair of boots. Have really enjoyed wearing the Strolz boots and I do think they have improved my skiing (better edge control and minimal foot pain), but this episode has reignited the original fears: what would happen if I needed service in the middle of Australian ski season. No local dealer, with the closest being >1000km away. I suspect the next pair will be more main stream, like Lange, Salomon, but I will go to a ski podiatrist to get them fitted properly.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fill the gap with resin and then tighten up???
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thought of that e.g., and may still do that, but what happens if I need to replace the toe pieces again...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Difficult to tell from the photo but it looks to me like the plastic is not flat so, unless the rubber is curved, you'll always have a gap.

1) If there is nothing else in the way I'd be tempted to take the soles off and put the boot on a belt sander until it is flat.

2) If that's too drastic then I'd take them to a cobblers and get him to glue them on - but tell him you will want to replace them later! I repair our morris dancing clogs and can tell you from experience that a glued sole can be removed - with some difficulty.

3) Glue them yourself but you'll need to clamp them together for at least 24 hours. I can tell you that a sole fitted with Dow Corning 3145 RTV high-strength silicone can be removed fairly easily whilst one with Renia Ortec contact adhesive is pretty bomber.

Here's how I glue soles on my Flexons:

Note the clamp made out of timber and the spacer (to match the curve in the sole) from sheet EVA foam.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
How worn was the old toepiece when you replaced it? If they're all coming up with a gap it might be that you've worn away the base material if you'd worn out the previous pad, in which case resin/gluing it on is probably the best bet. I'd avoid sanding the base of the boot as it might compromise binding release.

Strolz released a new line of boots this year so it might also be that these pads are designed for that shell, and therefore don't fit. Worth persevering with Strolz just for the new boot, which looks superb.

As an aside Strolz in Lech normally replace this stuff for free- I've got the same boot and they changed three clips for gratis 2 weeks ago (they've done this with my older strolz boots too).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks, guys.

Grinding is not an option because of the structure of the boot under the toe piece, but filling the gap with silastic seems feasible.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy