Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flaine - hints, tips, advice please....

Poster: A snowHead
Am going to Flaine on Saturday - late booking - and would appreciate advice. Although I have been before, it was mid nineties and I was a second weeker in the ski school that no one dare name. Not a happy experience. So can anyone recommend any good instructors, please?

Again, as a beginner, I didn't get anywhere near exploring the ski area, in fact the only things I can remember are the yogurt pots and a drag lift with a "dog leg" in it where, if one of our class fell off (usually Barbara - or "Slow Lady" as she was called by our instructor all week rolling eyes ) the rest of us would pile up on top Laughing ). So any advice on interesting places to ski, preferably not crowded, would be appreciated.

Lastly, any nice pubs, with or without live music, around Club Hotel Totem (Forum area)? Recommended mountain restaurants? Any must dos or must avoids?

Thanks in anticipation.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
maggi, it's been a few years for me as well but the Gers bowl was always a good place to ski in the old days. Did I hear they were building a lift back up from Sixt some years ago? Dropping down into the various satellite villages makes for interest - in fact you may have to do that to find a restaurant, I only recall 2 "mountain" versions, one on the top ridge (Mont Blanc view) and one on the way to Les Carroz.

"Nice" pubs? Perdrix Blanc and Noir are the only pubs I remember. For Noir you would need to walk or get the shuttle lift from the Forum area, but it was OK as far as I recall.

Don't fall down any holes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
we were there early last year, the tour op arranged a session for us wuth an instructor hwo I can highly reccomend. Not 100% sure on the name of the ski school I think it weas the International? In any case they had green jackets. HTe instructor was a blond English guy called david, about 5'8" or so. He was great,
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
maggi, IIRC ise is the fount of all knowledge for Flaine. Pending his arrival, however, I would say the dog-leg drag was probably that in the Gers bowl - their off-piste paradise - except that's a bit advanced for a beginner. Before heading over there however, do make sure the drag is running, as it does break down rather frequently and the only other way out is down a long track to Sixt then bus to Samoen. The main Flaine bowl is great, with plenty of routes to find around the "diamant noire" run (under the DMC), and we also had great fun the next bowl over (the head of the valley above Les Carroz), served by the Vernant and Corblanche lifts. The Samoens area seemed a lot busier and less interesting.

I would recommend Yann Westerkamp as an excellent instructor (independent) and a great guy - but he's already committed for the full week (as he is most weeks) with a SCGB holiday (basic improvers level). You may be able to get him for Sunday though (or his sidekick Regis Ponchard if the SCGB holiday is poorly attended) - contact at http://www.flainesnowski.com/. BTW he's a great hit with the ladies too - looks just like Robert Redford, but 20 years younger.

The White Grouse (Perrdix Blanche) is about it in Flaine Forum, and is a bit livlier than the Perdrix Noir (Flaine Foret) which is fine for a nice quiet drink or quite good meal, and is the SCGB evening meeting spot. There's also a night club up in Foret, but I can't comment on it as I never went in. "Epicea" just above Forum is a nice mountain resaurant.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
And that remnids me, on our night out we went to the piza place in forum itself, can't remember the name but it's the sit-down place just near the tourist office. Really nice pizzas, Mrs NBT hads the "pierre chaud" sliver of meat that yo cook on a white hot stone (the eponymous pierre chaud) with sald and whatnot, excellent.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
if you like good food try the restaurant that is accross the piste from the Totem, come out the door, turn right, walk literally acrosss the meeting type area (it is floodlite at night) and the restaurant is right in front of you (about 100-150M) Great food in a traditonal chalet type setting (good cheese board even!)

If you go to the International ski school and book group lessons, the instructor that takes the highest group is usually 'Bruno' a really great guy who will take you to the best snow conditions (on and off piste)in the resort. He will also kick you out if you can't keep up!! (good if you can, bad if not I suppose!!)

I'm going with a Ski club weekend arriving late thursday night next week. Snow conditions are perfecdt at present and with 3 days of snow forecast at the end of this week, i'm sure will be a welcome top up.

HAVE FUN Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Any must do's........................

Ski 'Mephisto Superieure' a fantatic red from the top of the DMC lift, it's just a great piste.

Any must avoids.....................

The return run from the 6 person high speed Grand Vans chairlift. It links to the other resorts (Morillion, Samoens and Les Carroz) But in the late afternoons it tends to offer better waterskiing options than snowskiing!!!!

Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
christianmurray, I have a feeling that restaurant burned down over summer. I'll see if I can find the report
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you neant the Bissac, then yes, it has

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=5220&highlight=bissac
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

that's terrible news....it was arguebly the best restaurant i've eaten in at a resort for many many years.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The Bissac ? Are we talking the same place here? Next to the three button lifts? The two longer of which maggi was referring to as having a dog-leg in it.

It was OK but nothing special. It could be me, I'm not very good with names of places really, I never really read the piste maps.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
i think we are not....well i hope not anyway!!!

the place i'm thinking of is basically at the bottom of the DMC in Flaine Forum, if you stood looking out from the DMC it would be on your left. and the only other lift nearby is the chair lift that runs up the kidergarden slope. no button lifts in site.

I love your images on your website, by the way.......please keep posting them.

is your website commercial, or are you just a ski nut???
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I know the place you're thinking of christianmurray, we used to stop in there for hot chocolate etc. it was one of theplaces the reps recommended for our evening out but we never ate there
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Okay I give up, what's the DMC?

I used to ski at Flaine often late 80's - early 90's and don't remember anything called that. Is it new or is it something a day trip skier would not use?

Just curious.

CP
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
DMC is the big gondola from the forum up towards mont blanc
snow conditions
christianmurray wrote:
is your website commercial, or are you just a ski nut???

sure it's commercial, send me money and I'll spend it on skiing, it'll be just like you being there yourself apart from it being me Very Happy

My favorite lunch places in the Massif are :

Les Moillets, good but too busy.
Bois de la Char at Les Carroz, reasonable good and a very good bacon, egg and chips.
The two places at the bottom of the Soleil in Samoens or the top of the Stade. One's self service and quite good and the other's a small restaurant. What's not so obvious is that the one on the right has an upstairs restaurant, very good indeed.
The Brassiere in Flaine, great galettes best eaten with cidre I think.
The dutch place at Flaine-floret, nothing too special but they're alway cheerful.
The place up from the the Dutch one that does great filled pitta breads.
The self-service at the top of the DMC, surprisingly good.
ski holidays
nbt, Got it, quite a view when you get out of the bulding at the top - If I remember correctly

Thanks

CP
latest report
Quote:

I would say the dog-leg drag was probably that in the Gers bowl - their off-piste paradise - except that's a bit advanced for a beginner

Oh, we did off piste all right. Went tree skiing and one of the group got stuck head first in a snow tree well. Instructor was quite panicky as she and others frantically tried to dig him out. I couldn't help, being stuck, (luckily right way up) up to the top of my thighs rolling eyes . Group sized halved after that episode!

Anyway, thanks all. Keep 'em coming!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy