Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cairngorm closes due to too much snow

Poster: A snowHead
The CairnGorm Mountain ski centre will be closed all day because of too much snow. Despite working with huge caterpillar vehicles and snow blowers yesterday to try and clear the slopes and approach road, more snow ovenight has covered up all the hard work. ...Here's what it says on the Cairngorm Moutain website:

"THE MOUNTAIN AND ALL FACILITIES, ACCESS ROADS AND CARPARKS WILL BE CLOSED TODAY (FRIDAY) TO ALLOW DIGGING OUT AFTER MAJOR DRIFTING DURING THE STORM."

Source: http://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/weather-update and http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/highlands_and_islands/8460442.stm?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We once went all the way to Glenmore Lodge for a weekend of off-piste instruction. Only problem was, Cairngorm Mountain was stormbound and the police had closed the gates. On the Saturday morning we skinned up the road to the lowest car park and made our own little piste off the edge of it. In the afternoon we practiced roped-up skiing on Glenmore's dry slope (which had a good dusting of snow) and then practiced crevase rescue in the car park!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

This is a truly unbelievable season for Cairngorm (Aviemore)

From our favourite companion ski club, here is some interesting data.

Previous seasons have not been good for Aviemore: this figure shows the weekly average for the last 9 sesons (from 2001/2)
This week average (2nd week January, week 7) is 40cm on upper slopes, 21cm lower slopes

But here are the Snow levels for Cairngorm this week:

185cm on upper slopes, 90 cm on lower slopes.

Compared to snow levels for Val Thorens:

145cm and 95cm.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Completely bogus data as in scotland we are usually skiing on drifted snow between fence lines or in the gulleys and snow fields. With the redistribution of snow we've had (and are continuing to have) in the strong winds, the snow depth will vary from zilch where its been scoured to tens of feet deep in the usual snow fields and gulleys.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Dave Horsley, I think the snow depths vary from place to place in any resort.
I have had discussions with SCGB before about their snow data. They have always assured me they get the data direct from the resort.
And I don't think you will disagree that the amount of snow this year is way more than in previous years.
So not completely bogus. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wouldn't disagree that there has been a fair amount of snow. This year (up to a few days ago) it was actually possible to measure the amount of snow that fell (~185cm) as it all fell on light winds so was distributed evenly over the whole mountain. After the recent gales that is no longer true - the snow is now all blocking the access roads and burying the funicular (and M1 poma hut which is missing form recent photos) Wink.

Trouble is, as far as I know no real measurements of snow fall or depth are actually taken at the centre, other than guestimates from either patrol or SAIS. Even if a measuring stick or sticks were set up, where had lots of snow and where had none would be very dependant on the wind direction of the last storm rather than how much snow had actually fallen.

Still there should be some good skiing once the roads and lifts are dug out. A bit of freeze thaw cycling would be good to get a good base set up the rest of the season.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
^ It'll be a hell of a base Dave! Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, what a base. Could this be the season when there's decent strips to ski on in June/July. My latest ever run was on May 16th one year in the 80s (down the Ciste to the West Wall chair walkway) and folks were skiing for at least another couple of weeks after that.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^ the season before last closed in early May and the one before mid-May as I recall but I have recollections of skiing far later than that at least once in the 80s - could this season be another like that!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
altis, I think you posted some photos of that day, didn't you?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
check out this
http://youtube.com/v/OBcNuqBL-sk&a
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SAIS measured a depth of 400cm in a test pit at 800m on the East Wall of Coire Na Ciste close to the top of the ridge to Laogh Mor, a short distance North of N 2 Gully.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AFAIK the following tows have posted days of operation in June in the past.

Coire Cas (CairnGorm Mtn)
Ptarmigan Tow (CairnGorm Mtn)
Snowgoose Tow (Nevis Range)
Main Basin T-bar (Glencoe)
Meall Odhar T-bar (Glenshee)

You have to go back to 1994 for the Carpark Ski Tow, Sheiling and Fiacaill Ridge Poma operating on Mayday and CairnGorm concluded daily snowsport operations when the Coire Cas T-bar closed at the end of play on 2nd June that year.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
altis, I think you posted some photos of that day, didn't you?

I certainly have some photos, but I don't think I ever posted them.

*Edit*

Just remembered that I posted a link to a write up that included our 2005 trip to Cairngorm with another ski instruction company whose name I cannot remember. Different trip but again the weather crapped out on us - this time when we half way up Coire an t-Sneachda so we legged it home ASAP.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 15-01-10 23:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
check out this
http://youtube.com/v/OBcNuqBL-sk&a

NOW THAT IS EXTRAORDINARY
snow report
Blimey how much!!!!!
snow report
Bode Swiller, when are you heading up there?
snow report
Latest from Colin

Quote:
Yeah we have just reached the Car Park at 1.30pm and it seems the whole face of the mountain has changed yet again with the track buried in more places now and to a greater depth, The snow has buried part of the Ptarmigan T-Bar up to the boxes and the second tower of the M1 has just the pulley wheel showing. We will not open to the public tomorrow and will have an army of shovelers coming in to assist, not sure of the avi risk as some of the snowpack has consolidated - check the SAIS link.
Ah well no rest for the wicked off to see if we can find a tunnel mouth
Cheers
Colin

It will be good when it opens and the base is building nicely for an extended season Very Happy .
snow conditions
roga wrote:
Bode Swiller, when are you heading up there?
plan is to ski next thursday and friday. I'm hoping the timing could be spot on but I'll take it as it comes of course.
latest report
Bode Swiller, are you still going?

Snow's looking great but Thursday a bit windy and snowy, after that though looking better into the weekend.

Best of luck and enjoy snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy