Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Binding settings, ski flex and mumbo jumbo

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There is lots you see and hear about skis, and trying to filter facts out of mumbo jumbo is often not easy.

I have just watched this video

http://youtube.com/v/oHF8sQd1Ovo

and from a common sense perspective I can see that where conventional bindings are attached to skis if the carving ski is then asked to form an arc, then the distance between the bindings must try to shorten (though with the boot in place this isn't going to happen to any great extent). However, logically that wouldn't stop the distance from trying to shorten. If the binding is therefore pressed closer onto the boot by the attempt of the ski to arc, it must affect the physical force needed to release, i.e. the binding setting. If integrated bindings are indeed designed to 'float' as the video suggests is the case, then perhaps such a tightening on the boot doesn't, or is less likely to occur with these, but I can see it theoretically happening on a conventional 2 piece binding screwed firmly to the ski in the two positions. Could this tightening (assuming it occurs) make the ski more/less likely to release when required at certain points in the turn?

N.B. and for that matter why don't many more skis come with integrated and length adjustable bindings (esp. kids skis which are often handed through a family). It would make the skis far easier to sell secondhand or cause fewer problems if CEM sells you a pair of significantly smaller boots if all you had to do is slide the binding to a new position, rather than remount the two parts.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, if you want rental bindings, ask when you buy the skis - the two items are sold separately. They will make your skis heavier though, and a certain type of person will sneer at you for having bought ex-rental skis. Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This is whole bunch of crap. Sure this part about flexing, or not flexing under boot (when binding is attached straight to ski) is true, but there are plates out on market for ages (they were out way before carving skis were invented). So you don't need integrated bindings, and not even one single race skis has integrated bindings. You have plates which are mounted to skis, and bindings are mounted to plates. And this combo works a lot better then integrated bindings.
Integrated bindings are, at least in my opinion, purely marketing thing. This way ski manufacturer binds you to specific binding manufacturer (with which they have agreement). On top of that, they make sure, your old bindings will be thrown away, and you will spend some extra money for new bindings when you will be buying new skis, which is perfectly fine if you are getting new skis every 10 years, but not so great if you get them every 2 or 3 years.
And last thing... I would say there's less then 10% skiers who would actually notice difference if skis flex under your boot or if they don't. Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
While carving a tight turn I can imagine that the heel and toe pieces come closer together, but only by a very small amount. If something happens and you fall (or whatever) to provoke a binding release then the carving pressure on the ski is released and the ski under the boot will return to its normal shape extremely quickly.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
primoz,
Quote:

And last thing... I would say there's less then 10% skiers who would actually notice difference if skis flex under your boot or if they don't.

I don't disagree with anything in your post but what group do you think this <10% are?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mainly racers, and from my own experience as ex-racer and ex-serviceman, even between racers you have people who have feeling for skis, and people without any feeling at all. But that doesn't mean they are bad racers, they just don't have feeling for material. Wink
Such things make so small difference, that most of people who don't go skiing twice a day, and who are not catching extra hundredths of a second, won't notice it. It's not like switching from low end consumer skis to race stock skis, or like switching from SL to DH skis. Another thing is, you have to apply A LOT of pressure to ski, if you want to bend it so much that this would be noticeable. And seeing how huge majority of normal people ski, they don't bend their skis anywhere near, this would make difference.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
primoz, yep, sounds about right to me. I like to think I tend towards the better end of recreational skiers, but I don't think I've ever either felt flex under my boot or felt the need to seriously consider flex under the boot. IIRC some manufacturers are touting this in their mainstream skis and whilst it's a good concept I can't see it making any difference to the vast majority of recreational skiers.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, 1. it is not going to compromise safety. 2. I was under the impression that kids bindings were like adult ones and allowed a degree of fit adjustment? Assuming I'm correct, I would have thought that if 2 kids have that different feet they probably need different skis.?I'd be amazed if any recreational skies noticed this effect.?Binding specific skis are marketing puff intended to benefit retailers/mfrs only. No skier benefit.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy