Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I bought my boots from Snow and Rock about 10 years ago. They were stretched and fitted to my rather wide feet and for a number of years were fairly comfy (if a lttle snug). And then I had kids and my feet became even wider. For the last few years the boots have been becoming increasingly painful and last year they were agony. I think things were made worse by hanging around on the nursery slopes snowploughing with the kids.

I have been considering making an appointment with CEM to see if my boots can be stretched any further or something else done to help them fit but are 10 year old boots too old for this? Should I just splash out and buy new boots?

If new boots are the answer - who makes boots for extra wide feet? My skiing these days ranges from the nursery slope chasing a 4 year old, to reds and sometimes blacks although my skiing is by no means as good or fast as it was 20 years ago. Puzzled
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Interested in this as I'm a similar position with respect to boot life and fit, minus the kids though! Wide feet and high arches.

Hopefully there will be some wisdom along soon....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skimummy, depends what condition the boots are in. No reason why the outers can't be reused, though you may well need new liners after 10 years. I'd say that a visit to CEM is definitely in order - he will give you an honest opinion on your best option (alterations or new boots).
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would say that a shell that was constructed 10 years ago regardless of use is up for close inspection. The manufacturers have changed the materials they use and it is not uncommon for the older stuff to fatigue....the issue here is not all boots are subject to the same rate of degredation. I have seen many older boots crack when subjected to cold. This doesnt mean that you cannot reuse the shell but if it were me I would look at something new esspecially if you are in need of stretching as this with fatigue materials more

If you have wide feet and this has been exhaserbated by a pregnancy the first thing is to have a quality pair of orthotics made. These will help retain the natural/neutral shape of the foot inside the boot and dramatically enhance fit. I would check out the Salomon custom shell boots...they are probably the most customisable of the shelf boot and I have had great success stretching up to an additional 6mm of width with no recession. Great product...there are more custom products on the market and also the potential to upgrade to a custom liner for an even better fit.

Gryfon....high archs pose and wide forefoot pose slightly more problems with fit as dorsal compression can be very painful...there are lots of tricks to accomodate this foot type including grindging the foot board a few mm or cutting a window into the tounge plastic to remove excess pressure. Technica have always used a more generous instep volume but might require some additional stretching in the width.

Hope that helps....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ski4life,

Thanks for the reply.

My current boots have the tounge plastic cut, but I find the edges still dig into the top of my foot and cause nerve damage (numbness) even weeks after a hoilday. I've trimmed the edges back as best I can. Aaprt from that the boots have been very comfortable over the years. They are Salomon X-Wave 9's.

Might go and have a chat to someone about the Technica's

Cool
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Gryfon...the numbness that you are feeling for weeks after skiing is not good. The New England Journal of medicine wrote an article on Boot Compression Syndrome many years ago. This is an inervation of one or more of the nerves that run along the top of the foot and if not addressed could cause permanent damage.
I would also check out Daleboot which is a unique brand that will accomodate all your width and high arch issues at the same time....I have had great success fitting cavus foot types with wide forefeet with this product and as it is not an overlap clog the boot is well suited to your foot type ....good luck
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ski4life,

Many thanks.

Sent you a PM Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ski4life, pimping already... rolling eyes rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thats El Pimpo thank you very much.... snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy