Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing from Munich by train

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm working near Munich for three weeks in February and want to continue to ski at the weekends. I won't have access to a car so train/bus access is necessary. I'd love to take touring gear but doubt I'd meet anyone to tour with in the time I'm there. Its looking like it will be mainly piste skiing. I know it is easy enough to get to Garmisch by train but I have no idea about other resorts. Can anyone recommend any other places with easy access, challenging skiing and relatively cheap hostel/hotel accomodation? I'm quite interested in the smaller off the beaten track resorts. Any recommendations for decent tree skiing?

Also does anyone know of any snow kiting locations in the region?

I've had a look through j2ski but its difficult to gauge access & accomodation options.
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Airports/Munich.html
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
In Germany:
Mittenwald - Dammkar
Oberammergau - Laber
Bayrischzell - Wendelstein
should fit the bill of challenging skiing at smaller off the beaten track resorts, and I'd be shocked if accomodation is not relatively cheap.

I've skied the first, and it was very good. I've not gotten to the other two yet, but have heard good things. But don't tell anyone.

Just over the border from Garmisch, Lermoos is also quite good.

All will be easily and cheaply reachable by train from Munich.

I believe there are also a number of ski buses from Munich that go to places like Saalbach, etc. Google should sort that out.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. I've just came across Laber that you mentioned. Looks like a mini La grave! Exactly what I was looking for.

http://www.laber-bergbahn.de/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
scottishskier, wot ami in berlin, said! The Dammkar is definitely worth a visit, either by touring up or using the Karwendel cabin and walking down through the 400m tunnel to the start. Scenically very impressive and on a good day a fantastic powder run Toofy Grin
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Don't dismiss the touring idea. I just got equipment and now of a few peoplw in the area who tour. There are loads of opportunities for touring locally.

See http://www.munichskitourers.de/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Steilhang wrote:
scottishskier, wot ami in berlin, said! The Dammkar is definitely worth a visit, either by touring up or using the Karwendel cabin and walking down through the 400m tunnel to the start. Scenically very impressive and on a good day a fantastic powder run Toofy Grin

Nice run, but there is only one run form that lift, straight down a big gully form what I saw in summer. Is there anything else locally to do?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stevev, not really. there's a small ski area in Mittenwald, but it's not up to much. On a powder day the Dammkar has plenty to keep you busy though
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you just do it once or can you get a day pass. I rmeember in Summer it cost a lot to get to the top on the cable car. Presumably in winter it is part of a day pass.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Train from Munich to Worgl, then local train all around Ski Welt area - includes Soll, Scheffau, Hopfgarten, Westendorf, Brixen, Kirchberg, Kitxbuhel and St Johann.
May not be quite the type of resorts you're looking for but just thought I'd give you the option?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You buy a single trip or a day pass. I was there in poor conditions, and the lady running the ticket window and cafe in the station let me buy a single ticket with the option to exchange it for a day pass and pay the difference. This was after chatting with the ski patrolman/cable car operator over a cup of coffee before they fired the lift up in the morning. It's that kind of place.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ami in berlin wrote:
You buy a single trip or a day pass. I was there in poor conditions, and the lady running the ticket window and cafe in the station let me buy a single ticket with the option to exchange it for a day pass and pay the difference. This was after chatting with the ski patrolman/cable car operator over a cup of coffee before they fired the lift up in the morning. It's that kind of place.
I had a very similar experience. Once went there with a friend and bought a day pass only to find that the snow was almost unskiable; broken crust with sticky sludge porrige underneath... Confused Anyway, after doing the first run we went back to the ticket lady, who had a word with the guy from the Bergwacht and she refunded us the ticket snowHead
I don't think you find many places like that any more!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Lenggreis - train (S-bahn) then bus. Good for a day trip. Get on the top, bounce around there for a while, the run down the left (as you look down the mountain) is steep, trees, twisty and opens out into a fast bit where you dodge beginners, the run down the right is a classic alpine run through trees - fast sweeping and pretty. Right-hand side is easier to get back up the top as the drags are quicker than the cable (which is currently broken - see news). Top sections are all sorts - all short, but varied. Good fun for a day or so.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy