Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

After how much experience should you think about buying your own ski boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Snowheads,

Friends who i go skiing with are looking into going to buy boots before our trip away next Saturday. They have much more experience than myself. I have been on 3 weeks of holidays and had 1 day in scotland. Last year I had quite alot of pain in my feet during the week of skiing. I have hired boots and ski's in resort on all occasions when i have been.

Should I consider getting my own boots if i can afford them?

All help is welcome
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If you think you are going to stick with skiing and make it a regular winter trip, then having your own boots is definitely worthwhile. It might take a while the recoup the initial outlay in terms of how many years hire that represents, but the result will be pain-free feet and boots only you have worn, not boots that have seen a plethora of sweaty feet.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
safc2008ftm, I bought mine after my second week, managed to get them in the sale at Decathlon, best thing I ever did, they have paid for themselves both in terms of cost and comfort, asqueen bodecia, has said no one elses sweaty feet Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would 100% echo what queen bodecia said. If you enjoy skiing and are planning to continue, buy boots, and get them properly fitted. I bought boots on my 4th trip (4th week) and it made a massive difference to my skiing. Which resort are you going to? It may be better to buy in resort, then if you have any niggles the boots can be adjusted by the fitters.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Given that it's currently costing about 80 euros to hire them for a week (Chamonix, so might be more expensive than usual), that's only about 3 trips that you'd need to make to get your money back, plus you'd have cosy feet, so I'd go for it if you are planning 3 more trips.

Make sure you get them fitted properly, though, and get the footbeds fitted properly (although I skied for years without footbeds with my first boots)
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
safc2008ftm, exactly as queen bodecia, it might take some time to recoup the cost, but you will not have problem with them! Providing you get to a good fitter of course!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I brought my own boots 3 years ago and can say its the best thing i have ever done. I did have to have custom soles put in but then everyones different. If you do buy then give yourself plenty of time and don't rush in a week before your trip. I tried several boots over a few weeks before i settled for the best fit. Each boot make fits slightly differently even if they are the same size as another make. I have a high instep and struggled with Salomon boots. Having good fitting boots and no major pain makes skiing so much better.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are going to Tignes from 23rd to 30th. We live in the North East of England so we are looking at possibly going to Snow and Rock in Gateshead. We are limited for choices in this area I believe.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It depends on the person - and your feet. As a one week skier hooked knowing I'll get use out of boots I went for a fitting (with a professional fitter), and found out I had really narrow feet. I was told that apparently there are very few (if any) entry level/beginner suitable boots that would actually fit me properly. If I bought a pair I may not find them comfortable, then it would have been £200-300 wasted. I was advised to stick it out in rental boots for a further 3-4 weeks skiing, even if they are uncomfortable at least then I won't have paid the money out on my own boots to be uncomfortable.

If I'd looked at boots aimed at a more experienced skier, which I could get to fit me properly, they would be unsuitable for my experience level - I may not be able to handle them. A comparison was drawn between passing your driving test and wanting to drive a supercar the next day!! So I was told to go back when I had 4-5 weeks more experience - if I am a quick learner.

Bear in mind this advice came from someone who was fitting me, to sell me boots - yet I waled out with nothing.

So I'd say get yourself to someone who can give you a proper fitting and follow their advice. It might be that your feet are normal and you end up with some boots.

As it happens when I went away over the New Year the boots I hired were pretty comfortable.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
in my case i was a fast learner so i was able to ski any slope on piste after less than 3 weeks. from that point i bought my own boots. tried them last week and they were amazing! same experience for my wife!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm hoping I fall in that group too snowforever. I managed everything I tackled the other week (Skiwelt - although with varying levels of finesse!), which were mainly reds, and even one black - although I reckon they had the wrong signs up it didn't seem as bad as some of the reds I did. I'll probably rent for the next two holidays - one more this season - one next Christmas, then buy after that.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The minute you decide you are going to carry on skiing. After 1-2 weeks probably.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Buy them now, but just accept also now that the boots which fit you "well" right now in your ski career are not the ones which will fit you "well" a few years down the line assuming your ability increases... which pretty much echos what hammerite has said!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I bought the hire boots I had hired for my first week's skiing - at the end of that week. They were brand new when I hired them and they were perfectly comfortable. It saved me the rental fee which was about 40% of the boot cost.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
safc2008ftm, as youre going to Tignes I would highly recommend that you go to see the folks in Nevada Sports. They have a very good reputation, I got my boots there.

Nevada Sports
(0033) 479065154
Le Lac Le Bec Rouge

Bear in mind he is very popular - you may need to book an appointment, You can do that by phone in advance (they do speak english, but you may need to make allowances) or by popping into the shop sa soonas you can.
ski holidays
Thanks for the advice everyone. Does anyone have experience of getting boots fitted at Snow and Rock or possibly Nevisport? Or can anyone recomend anywhere in the North East?

Many Thanks
snow conditions
safc2008ftm, if cost's an issue it may be an idea to wait for the late-season sales. They usually start in late February, and might get a substantial discount. Give the purchasing lots of time, though - it's not something to be rushed. Here's a bit of advice:

Try and get around to at least two ski shops, and make sure your feet are being properly measured and assessed by a good boot fitter. Ask the manager for the boot expert. Try the clips with gloves on, and compare boots for ease of entry/exit.

Don't economise on ski socks - the quality is very important. High wool content and a firm tight knit are good points.

Walk around in the boots for a while and feel for pressure points/areas. The boots should be free of any unevent tightness, if possible.

Maybe look at boots now, and come back to this thread with a shortlist of ones you like. Then you might get some feedback from users of specific models.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 14-01-10 16:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
safc2008ftm, Read the "buying ski boots" sticky thread.
latest report
OH had his boots fitted at Nevisport in M'bro. Young guy fitted em, very knowledgeable. Would highly recommend. Although they do not have a massive selection of boots, mainly Head/Salomon.

I got my boots adjusted there too. I had an insole thing fitted and they heated that up for me (bought my boots from the shop in ski Dubai stupidly when on holiday) to mould it to my feet. I was having big issues with the boots because I didn't get them fitted properly but they are all sorted now.

In answer to your original question, we bought our boots after 9 days of skiing. But then we are the type of people who like to have the kit.
snow conditions
Quote:

OH had his boots fitted at Nevisport in M'bro.

I got my boots from there a few years back now too. I went on a weekday and the guy who served me was very helpful [though possibly long gone now].

Like many others have said, if you are going to be going regularly, then the purchase is more than worth it. It takes soooo much hassle out of the holiday, from pfaffing about in a busy hire shop trying to be understood or understand someone. It is just good to know that I won't be having any nasty surprises from that source.

Like others have suggested, check out the boot thread in equipment.
snow report
As others have said if you intend doing more skiing then boots are a very good investment, particularly if you have had pain in the past.

Generally buying in the UK is pot luck and I certainly wouldn't recommend Snow and Rock because I have awkward feet and had a very poor experience with them a few years back. However that doesn't preclude their being a good fitter in your local store but it's very much a gamble IMHO. If you want more of a guarantee of getting satisfaction in the UK you'll have to travel to somewhere like Solutions for Feet in Bicester who come highly recommended by many people here, including myself. I've also seen a number of recommendations for Nevada in Tignes, never used them myself though, so buying over there might be worth considering and getting some fitting done during your trip (keep going back until the boots are right).

Best of luck snowHead
latest report
I bought skis and boots after three holiday weeks of skiing. Kind of just liked having the kit. The boots were a good investment as at the time I then used them on the dry slope as well. Skis, as others on here has said, are possibly less value for money and since your ability/technology changes having your own skis tends to be something people do when they ski a lot of times per season or (like me) they like having the kit.

Invest in the boots if you have time. But don't rush into it in terms of fitting them. My wife bought her boots almost "off the shelf" without proper fitting (based on a colour decision). I'm not sure they really "fit" her but she doesn't seem bothered.
ski holidays
And when you find the perfect fit, ski in them until they fall apart!
latest report
safc2008ftm, nevermind the boots. We worship in the Church of Football. FTM brother ! Laughing
latest report
safc2008ftm wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone. Does anyone have experience of getting boots fitted at Snow and Rock or possibly Nevisport? Or can anyone recomend anywhere in the North East?

Many Thanks

Personally, I would wait till you are abroad - they'll fit more boots in a week than S&R do in a winter season.

Niall Quinns Disco Pants are the best...............
snow report
safc2008ftm, if you really want to buy before you go, LD mountain centre in Newcastle would be my choice, but as Smokin Joe says, may be better to do it in Tignes.
snow conditions
He'll take notice of a fellow Sunderland fan snowHead
snow conditions
Sawyers or is it Sayers? One or the other Puzzled In Yarm has a few boots and a decent reputation also. Although I assume you are a little further North than that.

Good luck!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In conclusion:

This morning a friend and myself went to LD Mountain Centre in Newcastle. We both ended up with Atomic B tech 80 ski boots. We were advised on this boot due to our experience and because we both had wide feet.

Firstly our feet were measured, followed by the empty shell check, and then once we had decided which size felt the best with new footbeds in, the boots were heated to help them mould to our feet.

On a whole we were very pleased with the service we received from our boot fitter - Jeremy, and my friend will be returning with his wife tomorrow in order for her to get boots also. We were encourraged to return at any time with any problems that we have with our boots.

Thank you snowheads for your wealth of advice and for making me part with my hard earned cash. wink
snow conditions
How much would I expect to have to pay for a decent pair of boots properly fitted? I'm trying to budget for the eventual purchase of ski boots and wondered how much it'd be "all-in".
ski holidays
Astraeus, for me, boot fitting did not cost any extra on top of the sale price of the boots (in my case £160). However, this is because I have 'normal' feet and didn't need any extra work doing other than the usual heat-moulding process. My bootfitting experience was pretty much as safc2008ftm describes above. My feet were measured, then two different boots were recommended on the basis of the size and shape of my feet. I chose the ones that seemed to shell-check best and had them heat moulded to my feet. I already had footbeds from my previous boots which cost £25, so I took them out of the previous boots and put them into the new ones myself.

The more custom bootfitting procedures such as shell stretching and reshaping will obviously cost more, but not everyone needs this.
snow report
Smokin Joe wrote:
He'll take notice of a fellow Sunderland fan snowHead
but in the end he went with the advice from the Toon fan wink
snow report
Helen Beaumont, he would have been depressed after the 7-2 scoreline ! Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy