Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wengen Feb5 to 12 Short trip report

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Almost a month has passed but I thought I would post some pictures from our trip Feb 5-12. We skied every significant lift at Wengen and First...everything we could at Murren. The Schiltorn Cable Car was broken at that point so we got to do the helicopter thing for 45 chf (see photos)...what fun! This was our second trip to Wengen and the Alpenrose. Everyone kept asking us why we would come from Boston to Wengen when we could ski the Rockies in the US? Answer is simple...Wengen is so nice and even with the weak dollar it costs less than a comparable stay in Colorado. Although the skiing itself can't really compare to many spots in the US West like Vail...for us its all about the atmosphere and besides my husband is a train freak. Can't say enough good things about the Alpenrose! We will surely be back!
Just got 8 inches in Boston and it is snowing up North in New England. We plan a day trip next weekend to New Hampshire, probably Killington in Vermont the following weekend, and a long weekend in Aspen in April if their snow holds, which considering what they have now, it should!

Someone needs to clue me in on how to paste pix into a message here. So in the meantime, I have done the clumsy thing of giving the Shutterfly address for our family mailing. Paste it into your browser and just click Slide show and advance to view the photos big and fast. Thanks to David Orf for introducing me to this group!

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/share/view?i=EehNW7lszcOKA&open=1&sm=1&sl=0

From a young at heart middle aged skier in Cambridge Massachusetts (which is a blue state, meaning we did not vote for George Bush)
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kathyborn, nice pics wink
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nice pics.

Could you explain what you mean by this:

" Although the skiing itself can't really compare to many spots in the US West like Vail..."

Having skiied in Vail and agree it is great skiing, and the back bowls are great fun, but you can get access to bigger verticals and many more lifts in Europe, eg Trois Vallees, Espace Killy etc.

Just wondered what doesn't compare to Vail?

regards,

greg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote: Just wondered what doesn't compare to Vail?

It was Wengen/Jungfrau I was comparing to Vail...not Trois Vallees where I have not been. I would take the skiing (no ice, no crust, ever) at Vail any day, but the overall experience at Wengen (trains, funiculars, cable cars, rosti, raclette, apple fritters, even the easily forgetable Swiss wine) makes for a far more relaxing and interesting vacation for this traveller.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kathyborn, you can't have had any of the nice Swiss wine, some of it is very good indeed.

So your conclusion then is that those who want to do nothing but cruise powder should go to Vail, but those who want to go skiing for the experience should try the Jungfrau Region ?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
D G Orf, I should blimmin hope so! I'm off to Grindelwald for Easter, am quite looking forward to a "proper" chocolate box style holiday, skiing sedately in a small lift network (3V et al can be soooooo exhausting sometimes).

kathyborn, nice pix - looks like you had a great time. 10 people can go to the same resort and what normally happens is that they all offer completely interpretations of what's good and bad at that resort, so ignore the pedants - don't give in to arguments about who's resort is better..... it'll only end in tears snowHead

Will let you know after Easter what I think of the Jungrau skiing. And the wine wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Manda, there are over 200km of pistes in the area, that's hardly small Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Manda, Grindlewald/Wengen is hardly a small lift network - I think you'll be in for a pleasant surprise. Anywhere would be nice after the 3V anyway! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
So your conclusion then is that those who want to do nothing but cruise powder should go to Vail, but those who want to go skiing for the experience should try the Jungfrau Region ?

My conclusion is that you should do both...and as often as you can!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
D G Orf, ooo, that's good news!!! Travel guides normally give the impression that Grindelwald/Wengen's small-scale.

easiski, are you saying you don't love queuing with hordes of Brits/French/Russians, and the feeling that you're being herded around the mountain???? Shocked

kathyborn, I'm recently become keen on the idea of a ski trip in Colorado - will be interesting to experience the difference!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy