Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski'n'Board Britain (where you normally wouldn't)

Poster: A snowHead
So anyone got their skis/boards out? Very Happy (other than places where you'd normally ski in the winter)

I normally cycle over in the Surrey Hills, but thinking of taking my skis Very Happy. Doubt I can get the car over there though. Did some mountain biking in the snow there before Christmas though which was fun.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 9-01-10 13:07; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hampstead Heath could well be skiable today. There's a bowl up near Whitestone Pond (highest point in London) where I've done impressive damage to ski bases from time to time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Still got my first set of skis in the loft which I can afford to wreck Very Happy. Leith is the highest point in the south east, though not sure there's enough open area to ski down. Lots of trees, paths and a few fences in the way.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Plenty on Boxhill...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Doooooooh and Im stuck in the office again.

Sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ernst Goldsmith, problem is whenever it becomes deep enough to ski properly it also becomes a nightmare to travel round London either by public transport or by road. I'd be heading out to Boxhill were I sure I'd be able to get there and back in one piece in my summer-tyred no-chains Golf.

Just been told some kids are managing to snowboardright outside my front door in Richmond. Shame I'm stuck at work in Catastrophe Wharf Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I went skiing in the Surrey Hills, just north of Oxted, last time we had the snow in December. If the predicted snowfall continues, I'll be up there again this Saturday if anyone's around, playing around on the slopes south of Woldingham and north of Oxted.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
on my way to s+r to buy skis Devils dyke here i come
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beware of skiing any snow like this on good skis. It has no base, so the skis will cut through and get damaged. Use rock-hoppers!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I cracked out my old blades, we made a kicker over a bench and got busy! Who would have thought i would have landed my first 360 on british snow Razz
And we had a tow called Tom! snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I got some powder turns on the South Downs at Long Furlong, just north of Worthing. Quite heavy, but it was really deep. I'll post a video in a bit.

Edit - Here's a video
http://youtube.com/v/bWQgcGIbk1Q
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
MagSeven, Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we went out sledging today rather than skiing and snowboarding as our fields are full of flint and they would ruin the skis/snowboard, we did stand up on the sledge though and the OH managed to crash and gash his leg on a flint!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowshine wrote:
I went skiing in the Surrey Hills, just north of Oxted, last time we had the snow in December. If the predicted snowfall continues, I'll be up there again this Saturday if anyone's around, playing around on the slopes south of Woldingham and north of Oxted.

If I can I'll be heading for the Surrey Hills at the weekend, though sounds like it may still be snowing. I don't think my care will make it up there though. Might take the bike though rather than skis.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Rather frustrated my old board is with my brother whom I lent it to. He has his own now, so I would've been happy to take it out to check the slopes of Hertfordshire!

Still, if IIRC I have a mates Burton in my loft (him having it left it with me for storage after our last trip)..... Twisted Evil
ski holidays
Chingford's Pole Hill saw a couple of snowboarders today, would see me on skis if I had my old ones here Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Just went for a meander up to Richmond park and the pavements opposite the Roebuck are lovely frozen firm snow. There's some quite icy hardpack further down on the pavements but unfortunately it peters in and out where they've gritted otherwise one could ski all the way down Richmond Hill road to the bridge. Had I got a pair of rockhoppers with me I'd be doing it right now. Hopefully it'll lay 6" of powder on top of the great base overnight and I'll get a shot at it first thing tomorrow, here's dreaming Smile
ski holidays
Headed out to a park on the other side of town with some skis I acquired on eBay on Tuesday lunchtime (just in time!) and a headtorch. It was... interesting. It'd got packed down by sledgers, and it was very icy (-4 degrees!) but was still really good fun!
ski holidays
Ernst Goldsmith, I don't really have any rock-hoppers, my de-laminated skis were thrown out, so I won't try your slope by Whitestone Pond.
However it does seem obligatory to ski on Hampstead heath since I live about 200 yards from it - so I'm off in a few minutes to ski Parliament Hill (which is all grass). Not an exciting ski as skiing goes, but it has to be done.
snow conditions
MagSeven, Nice Vid snowHead
Quick question - what route did you take into Long Furlong and whereabouts did you go ??
We live on the Shoreham / Worthing border and the A24 at Findon has been a bit tricky !!
Thinking of going up there tomorrow ( if I can get my skis from the ski shop in deepest East Sussex where I left them for a service ) as it looks slightly steeper than Hillbarn Golfcourse where we went last month Shocked

Have you found any other easily accessible places ??
snow report
MagSeven wrote:
I got some powder turns on the South Downs at Long Furlong, just north of Worthing. Quite heavy, but it was really deep. I'll post a video in a bit.

Edit - Here's a video

great footage of your skis rolling eyes
ski holidays
Yeah, footage is crap I know - I was holding my ipod (which has a video camera) and pole in one hand.

I got up there walking from the A27. West of the A24/A27 roundabout there is a turning right that goes up to High Salvington. Going straight up that road and as it turns 90 degrees to the right at the top, go straight over onto a smaller road, which soon turns into a footpath which takes you up to the top of Long Furlong. You can see it on this google map link - the road/path runs north west from the post office at the top of High Salvington:

Google Map here

That said, the road through Findon is completely fine now so it'd be far easier to just go to the Findon roundabout and turn left on to the A280 to Long Furlong (although parking on the side of the road at the foot of the hill might be a bit sketchy)

If you go up there, let me know, I could be tempted to head up again. The snow should be a bit firmer by now.
latest report
MagSeven wrote:

Edit - Here's a video

Ha ha, way to go after it!
latest report
I've climbed out of bed early this morning to check on the snow and a couple of inches of fresh have fallen, so I'm getting ready to hike up the North Downs just north of Oxted. Still snowing as I type! Got sandwiches, water and hip flask Very Happy
snow report
MagSeven, Hmmm was worried you were going to say you took the walkiing route through high salvington Laughing
If I can get to hailsham this morning to get my skis we will definately be heading out somewhere early afternoon snowHead
Will post here later if we go up to Long Furlong.
snow report
Just got back a little while ago, took an hour to hike up to just above Woldingham School on the north side of the North Downs and took three runs down there.

View from the bottom after second run:

Hiking back up before third run:

The walk back over to the south side of the North Downs:

Finally got back over to the south side of the Downs and managed to ski all the way from top to bottom, just before M25, and then skied down the lane to the road, within ten minutes walk of my home!

Some say I'm quite sad to have done it again, but I hope at least on Snowheads I might get some understanding? It was fun dammit! snowHead snowHead
snow report
Here's a couple of pics and videos from the famous ski resort of St Helens, Merseyside...

http://www.merseysidewebdesign.com/skimossbank.JPG

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=240591668694

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=240586418694[/url]
ski holidays
Right have just retrieved skis from ski shop at Knotchatch dry slope in Hailsham - the slope was looking pretty good with the snow cover and wish we had taken our gear so we could have had a play.
Now looking forward to having some fun tomorrow wink

Any bright ideas for the birghton / worthing area other than Long Furlong and Hillbarn Golfcourse ?? Thought we would try and visit at least 3 resorts in a day Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Devils Dyke, if you can get up there?

There's a big bowl on Bostal Road which goes up from the A27 over the downs to Steyning which could be good.

Cissbury Ring?

Didn't go up today but probably will try tomorrow. Some snow falling now, so there might be some fresh snow ontop of a firmer base!
snow conditions
The roof of The Snow Centre in Hemel Hempstead. Photos here.
latest report
Local forestry near Inverness - pics here http://www.winterhighland.info/touring/index.php?50,1802,1,1
snow conditions
up on butser hill near peterfield today - loads of sledging and a smatering of snowboards and skis - we took out board and skis up and OH and me had a run each whilst juggling the kids (not literally!)- great fun - snow well pisted by the sledgers and where still fresh was 8 inches or so deep and made for a nice powder ride although the hill doesn't really give enough gradient to really make the most of it - still first time boarding in hants and well worth the effort!
snow report
motatapu, Cheeky little backscratcher in the first pic, the 80's are back! Smile
ski holidays
MagSeven, Hmmm Devils Dyke would be great if there you could there and it had a rope tow .... bit of a hike back up !!
Know the bowl that you mean on the Bostal .... just depends if the road has been cleared, it could be fun Shocked
Tried Cissbury Ring last month and the road was a no go, even in an AWD car !!

Will start off at Long furlong about midday tomorrow and take it from there - we may see you !! Both of us will be wearing grey - OH is a boarder and I'll be on skis ( whizzing about too quickly if the shop has waxed them up too much ) !! Embarassed
Say hello if you up there snowHead
snow conditions
Had some fun in Patcham (Brighton) today with wife and kids, 20 seconds down and 5 mins to walk back up, but still good fun.
Will try Devils Dyke tomorrow after work if can get up the road
ski holidays
Well made it up to Hillbarn Gold Course in the end. Tried the downs just north of the shoreham flyover, but cover was really poor so hopped back in car and thought we would have a look at the Bostal Road - No chance !! Laughing
The main part of the golf course was manic so walked on up past them all and found our very own untracked section to play in for a couple of hours.

davidbeesley, We know exactly what you mean about the 5 minutes up but so worth it !! Laughing

MagSeven, Did you make it out to play ??
snow report
Found another fun place in Brighton yesterday.....Wildpark they used to have a tow there in the 8o's for grass skiing. 50m vertical drop, but hard slog back up.
Will pop down again tonight as we have had another 3" of snow so far today.... Very Happy
latest report
I snowboarded in Aylesbury on Sunday, some nice tree runs , great fun but the walking back up was a real slog in the cold wind, shame I am stuck at work today otherwise I would be out again now.
ski holidays
Had a few goes on Monday @ la Foret de TRL otherwise known as Crowthorne Woods, Berkshire

Short TR here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59952
snow conditions
Box Hill was skied last weekend
Photobucket
I could only manage two runs on my longest and fattest (and heaviest!) pair of skis. The main slope is perhaps a green slope, whilst the steep pitch down towards the Burford Bridge Hotel is probably a double green diamond.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy