Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Lock

Poster: A snowHead
Hi - I currently have a generic retractable combination cable lock but fear the cable can be easily cut using wire cutters - in particular when still out apres skiing at night. Can anyone recommend anything that is more secured but not too heavy / bulky... ie not a bike lock.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ozboy, Hold the thought, I have discovered the best of the locks that will run through your bindings yet still present a greater challenge to thieves than a retractable one - they are so good I own 4 of them (one for each set of skis). The SH search function is playing silly things at the moment. When I find the post I put the info in I'll point you at it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you are doing your skiing in North America a lot of resorts have the 'ski key'.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ozboy, hmmm, do you really think they're carrying wire cutters? unlikely...they're just pinching the easiest ones.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, I think a leatherman could probably cut through a retractable cable.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ozboy, I have a retractable one but for my latest skis which are fairly new but would be difficult to replace I use a lightweight coiled bike lock. Much safer.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ozboy, I've found it!! - the wizzard tech. SH folks have got the search function working again Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy .

The link I got mine from (th one posted in the SH thread) is no longer functional, but I'm reasonably certain its this one:

http://www.rei.com/product/800079?siteId=cjIsd2x-it3792&URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F800079&PID=2946146&AID=10456937&cm_mmc=CJ-_-Aff-_-2946146-_-10456937

This is the thread where I wrote about it:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=47026#1146380

The problem with a lot of the bike type combination locks is that the ends are too fat to pass through the ski bindings - in this one the end was hardly larger than the cable itself.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Thanks for the info... I found you lock here: http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/productInfo.aspx?catRef=KR994558

I have also found this one on the Kryptonite site: Its for snow sports and 6mm thick which is slightly thinner. https://www.kryptonitelock.com/products/ProductDetail.aspx?cid=1002&scid=1001&pid=1133

QUESTION: I have Salomon bindings - any ideas how to attach a lock to skis more securely than threading through the brakes (which can be removed with a screwdriver). I cannot find any other holes in bindings. Is it safe to drill a hole through the lever of the heel binding?

Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ozboy wrote:
Hi - I currently have a generic retractable combination cable lock but fear the cable can be easily cut using wire cutters - in particular when still out apres skiing at night. Can anyone recommend anything that is more secured but not too heavy / bulky... ie not a bike lock.

Thanks

I've got a retractable cable one. My skis are 5 years old now so I doubt anyone would nick them, but TBH the lock's just a deterrent so a thief moves onto the next pair which they can just pick up and carry off. I rarely see skis locked.

Those ones in the links look good though, if I had new skis I'd probably invest in one.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Picadilly, Other half and me just bought new skis this season (Atomic Cloud 9 and Salomon Lord) and we are paranoid when leaving them outside apres ski bars in St Anton such as KK or Mooserwirt which can both be reached on foot - and is total carnage at closing time. We split them and park them 'up hill' with the thinking that thieves would rather take skis that are 'down hill' from the bar.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ozboy, last time I was in the Mooserwirt they had a lock up. One deterrent I use is to "customize" the skis with stickers and graffiti, while there seems to be a fair amount of thieving going on, many thefts are just idiots taking the wrong skis.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ozboy, wot Picadilly and jbob, said. Given the choice of 200 pairs of skis that aren't tied to something and one pair that are, which do you choose? And if you know you didn't lock your skis, are you going to think the ski patrol have clamped yours (just cos they're now locked)? It's a simple deterrent.

Unscrewing the bindings is even more unlikely than carrying wirecutters

I don't need to outrun the bear, I just need to outrun you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got the thing from sport-conrad: http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?lang_id=ENG&disp=artikel&art_nr=72701004
Pretty good, though I'm guessing it's overkill. Locks aren't meant to stop thieves, they are meant to make them move on to the next pair of ski's.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ozboy wrote:
under a new name, I think a leatherman could probably cut through a retractable cable.

They can! Discovered perfectly innocently whilst trying to get from Meribel -> the far end of Courchevel -> LM -> Val T -> Orelle -> back to Meribel in a day and stopping off somewhere high. Someone's lock froze and threatened our timetable, therefore it had to go!

Made the last Gondola over the top in the end - its early in the first week in Jan... Shocked
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name wrote:
Given the choice of 200 pairs of skis that aren't tied to something and one pair that are, which do you choose?
Unscrewing the bindings is even more unlikely than carrying wirecutters

Absolutely, it's just a bit of peace of mind, I always lock mine.

Vorda wrote:
I got the thing from sport-conrad: http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?lang_id=ENG&disp=artikel&art_nr=72701004
Pretty good, though I'm guessing it's overkill. Locks aren't meant to stop thieves, they are meant to make them move on to the next pair of ski's.

I had one of them, and I have to say it was rubbish! The key kept jamming in the lock so I took it back and changed it for another one - which did the same.

I've now got one like this:

http://ecom1.sno-ski.com/product180.html

Which has a nice long cable (can lock two pairs of skis) and works perfectly.
snow report
A word of warning about the ones being sold from Sport Conrad - I tried these sort and 2 in succession just fell apart in my hands as I unwrapped them from the packaging - Once they fall apart you can see that the locking mechanism inside is as much use as warm chocolate. When you take apart the type I bought to set your own combination you can see they have sufficiently more going for them in comparison with the C r @ p that is in those 4 way ones.

Picadilly, The sort you ended up with generally work OK, but like the OP I wanted a lock with a bit more substane to the cable. The kryptonite one I linked to seems a good compromise between a bit thicker and with more substance, but will still fold as small as the retractable ones, so I think they are worth a look at if you ever want something a little better. However, as most folks have said all you really need is the deterrent to make the thief look else where and to be able to say to the insurance company with a clear consience (should the worst happen) 'yes, they were locked up'.

However, it's worth repeating - In my experience don't waste your cash on those 4 way ones with the roll up cable that feeds back into the mechanism similar to those sold from Sport Conrad (in fact I think it was the same brand that just fell apart on me).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy