Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Some Big Sky pictures

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Apart from WTFH and me, no-one ever seems to mention Big Sky in these forums. I thought I'd tempt some more of you to consider Montana next year by showing you a few photos. It's a resort that I definitely want to return to, partly for the lack of crowds, but also because it offers so much challenging skiing than I wasn't able to get around it all in a week - although, admittedly, I was hampered by kids.

Here're the pictures. Enjoy. Anyone fancy taking on the Big Couloir (the big chute to the right of lone Peak)?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Jonny Jones, thanks for these and how nice to have descriptive text to go with the pics. I reckon you and Ambo Foxy won't find it so quiet next season after your plugs for Big Sky. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for those, Jonny, do you mind if I share your page to the EpicSki guys?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wear The Fox Hat, share away. I've silently loitered on EpicSki quite a lot this winter, but haven't yet given anything back to that community. You might help to assuage my guilt a little!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As a local, I just wanted to add my own plug. Big Sky is a great place to go, and everyone should feel free to visit. (I usually ski Bridger)
No really, both places are great, but Big Sky is definately better outfitted for the on hill ski vacation, with accomodations on the hill and a larger amount of area to explore all week. I enjoy those chutes off Lone Peak, they are some pretty nice skiing, but Bridger Bowl has more to offer in that arena if you're willing to hike. Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Damn that looks nice. 30 inches of powder rolling eyes Whistler this year is serving up 30 inches of ice Crying or Very sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The 30 inches statistic came from the resort's grooming report. As we all know there are lies, damn lies, and resort grooming reports. But the powder was genuinely knee deep so, after allowing for compaction, the figure is plausible.

Whatever the actual snow depth, I wasn't complaining snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And you can go to Yellowstone for the day . . .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
NickW, this is a skiing site, so I didn't post my pictures of Yellowstone. Suffice to say, if you're in Big Sky or Jackson Hole then you need to go to Yellowstone; if you don't you're missing out on one of life's great experiences. Especially if you have kids. Apart from the geysers, hot springs, fumeroles, and mud pots we got close up to more wildlife than I'd ever imagined possible - bison, elk, coyote, eagles: you name it, we saw it. And the scenery was awesome.

And I have you to thank you, Nick. You may vaguely recollect recommending Yellowstone to me some months back - and I'm very glad that you did. I guess that's snowHeads working at its best: one person passing on their advice to help make other someone else's holiday more memorable. Cool
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Three changes of plane from the UK to get to Montana.

The planes are usually scheduled to land in the final US destination around 11 o'clock at night.

These two points were sufficient for me to scratch Montana off the list.

If they had a more direct service from the UK I might consider Montana.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Latchigo, where do you get that from?
I flew with NorthWest. Gatwick to Minneapolis, then from there to Bozeman (arrived around 6.30pm). Arrived in Big Sky around 8pm.

I guess you could make another stop and arrive at 11pm if you wanted to, but I decide to go for the cheapest flight.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
Latchigo, where do you get that from?
I flew with NorthWest. Gatwick to Minneapolis, then from there to Bozeman (arrived around 6.30pm). Arrived in Big Sky around 8pm.

I guess you could make another stop and arrive at 11pm if you wanted to, but I decide to go for the cheapest flight.

ebookers. I always look for the cheapest flights first.

I was looking for Bozeman and also Kallispel, when I was considering Montana(rather than just Big Sky)

Flights seemed to go to Salt Lake City( 2 stops however you do it) and then on from there.

If you can do it in 2 hops that changes everything.

Supplementary question:-

I also looked at car hire (by firm) and looked at the same vehicle in different states. Montana seemed pricey compared to other states and some of the car hire desks had shut up shop by 11pm. How did you get on for a vehicle ?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I got a lift with a friend, but there are shuttle buses go all the time. Also, by arriving at 6.30pm, you have no problem with rental places being shut!

Try Expedia, Opodo or Trailfinders.
Price of flights varies from around £320 when I first enquired, up to £420 when I booked, 4 months later.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I started with traveljungle for car hire but had trouble with their website so booked directly with the company they recommended. We had a big car (family of five plus luggage) but paid less than £200 including all taxes. Small cars were much cheaper.

We took 3 flights each way with Delta, but our longest stop was only 1.5 hours. Everything worked like clockwork. If it hadn't, I'd made sure that there were later flights that we could switch to in an emergency. The end-to-end flight time was long, but that's what books are for. The stops gave us an opportunity to stretch our legs and see some decent scenery on take-off and landing - especially at Salt Lake City. Perhaps my years of interailing and backpacking prepared me, but I actually found that I quite enjoyed the trip. Confused
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy