Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Insurance cover "without a guide" ?

Poster: A snowHead
achilles wrote:
GrahamN wrote:
...... Not covering the use of skins is clearly ridiculous, as touring without skins is just off-piste skiing. ......

it isn't for snowcard:

[snip]

So ski-touring is specifically listed by snowcard as requiring insurance at a level higher than off-piste skiing.

Erm....having a few senior moments this week? You're actually agreeing with me. My reply was to beanie1, when she asked
beanie1 wrote:
how do they differentiate between touring (which they apparently cover in Europe) and ski mountaineering? Would they not cover you if you're using crampons and skins?

Crampons (and ropes, and ice-axes) are part of DT's definition of ski mountaineering (see elsewhere for my thoughts on their inconsistencies on this point, but that's a side-issue here), but the inclusion of skins in the restricted items is ridiculous (and was in no way suggested by DT) as "touring without skins" is just off-piste skiing. (Here crampons mean just that, not harscheisen/couteaux, which are an essential part of ski-touring equipment). So that would be covered by Snowcard at level 3, and "touring with skins" (i.e. what the world knows as "ski touring") would require level 4.

VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
It still doesn't tell us, is L4 and above classed as dangerous, or is L3 and below ok, etc etc.
...and I hope your reply doesn't. I had some fantastic skiing with guides on many occasions this past season quite safely at level 4, and maybe once unguided. I also on one week skied (with a guide) in areas we were all very leery about (essentially short exits after skiing safer areas) despite the level being 3. On one occasion, we just exited a valley when a massive avalanche came down which had we been in its path would have almost certainly killed more than one of us (there were some pretty big blocks coming down). Our path down that valley crossed several other old avalanches, but skirted the main danger areas that day. Had the insurance had some ridiculous blanket restriction, we would have been prevented from that excellent safe skiing, but would have been allowed to get in the path of that potentially fatal avalanche. In the final instance - it's where you ski that's what's important, not what some bit of paper says. Someone else here had a beautifully precisely defined policy that would have been music to all the lounge-lawyers' ears here, but would have prevented >90% of my skiing this year as it covered nothing over level 2. It's perfectly possible to find fatal places to ski at level 2 (or even 1), so an excessive concentration on avvy warning level is plain stupid. DT's principle of
Quote:
you would need to be guided by the local advice (any of the emergency services, mountain rescue, ski resort employees such as ski guides instructors), i.e. is the area deemed too dangerous for skiing?" If there are any doubts as to the safety of the area you wish to ski in, and there is nobody in authority to ask, do not ski there.

if fairly applied, seems just the right one to me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GrahamN,
Quote:

...and I hope your reply doesn't. I had some fantastic skiing with guides on many occasions this past season quite safely at level 4, and maybe once unguided.

Me too, I was only giving that as an example as I've been out plenty of times with a guide when it's been L4 and had great days. My concern is, in my policy document with them (I appreciate that others have written to them and asked the same question previously, but I wasn't aware that the specifics question had already been asked until someone linked me to their thread earlier on in this one) it was a bit woolly as I said, hence my email to them to ask what constitutes 'skiing against local advice'. They will probably come back and say the same as in your last quote above then, therefore.

I see what you mean about not a lot of the skiing you did would be covered if they had the avy specifics in there. If they did come back and say nothing over L2 was covered then I wouldn't take the policy with them anyway as I'd need to have more than that.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Arno, what does AAC membership cost?

VolklAttivaS5, will be interesting to hear what you get back from DirectTravel (and from the intriguing sounding snowcrazy

I followed the thread last year with interest, and eventually decided that I'd rather have a policy with some discretion in it than one that picks an arbitrary avalanche warning limit and says you're suddenly not allowed off piste. Fundamentally, skiing off piste is a continuum - 2 feet off the side of a blue run is a very different prospect to hucking cliffs in the farthest BC, regardless of the avvy level...I don't think it's unreasonable for wording to sound a bit woolly when there are no hard and fast rules.

Each to their own, though... snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
ChrisWo,
Quote:
I followed the thread last year with interest, and eventually decided that I'd rather have a policy with some discretion in it than one that picks an arbitrary avalanche warning limit and says you're suddenly not allowed off piste.

Yes, when you look at it like that. Just a bit wary of what's said to be going against local advice though.....I wouldn't want to have an accident off piste and them turn around and say, ah, because there was an avalanche warning in place of 1 at the time, you're not covered.

Think I'd rather go for Snowcard or BMC where the people running the show are at least skiers themselves, despite the additional cost, I think I'd feel more confident then.

Anyway, we'll see. Nothing as yet.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think asking questions of what levels of avalanche risk you are allowed to ski in, and what levels you are not, is a bad question to ask. It allows the insurance companies to give an answer and, maybe, forbid you from skiing off piste above some stated level. VolklAttivaS5 said he has "been out plenty of times with a guide when it's been L4 and had great days". I have done the same. The avalanche risk as published in a resort is not the risk on each and every slope in that resort. The published avalanche risk is some sort of merge of the risks across each of the many slopes of the resort. That means on a higher risk day one can choose low risk slopes, leaving the steep or exposed slopes to low risk days.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
ChrisWo, £41 - Achilles has a reasonable point about how you will be dealing with a German/Austrian insurer should the worst happen but I am not sure that it that big a concern for me. YMMV
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Arno, I am not trying to be prescriptive for anyone else on that. I have a similar view on other services that can go wrong (private dentistry overseas, for example) but happily accept that others have a different viewpoint.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Adrian wrote:
I think asking questions of what levels of avalanche risk you are allowed to ski in, and what levels you are not, is a bad question to ask. It allows the insurance companies to give an answer and, maybe, forbid you from skiing off piste above some stated level. VolklAttivaS5 said he has "been out plenty of times with a guide when it's been L4 and had great days". I have done the same. The avalanche risk as published in a resort is not the risk on each and every slope in that resort. The published avalanche risk is some sort of merge of the risks across each of the many slopes of the resort. That means on a higher risk day one can choose low risk slopes, leaving the steep or exposed slopes to low risk days.

Laughing she actually, not he. Yes I see what you mean, it doesn't matter even if they did come back with specific avy warnings being covered or not covered (which I very much doubt they will, since a couple of others have asked them exactly the same question in the past clearly from what they've said on this thread and they've not made any changes so far) because if they said anything over a L2 for the day was not covered, well for some people that might suit their requirements if they hardly ever go off piste for example, and when they do it's on low risk days, whereas for me I'd go with another insurer instead as that wouldn't be any good for me. In my email to them I have simply asked the question of what consititutes skiing against local advice as others did. I haven't suggested they change the wording so that only some avalanche risk categories are covered.

Will be interesting to see what they say to see if it's any different from the past responses given to others.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VolklAttivaS5, dear lady, my apologies.

Yes, if an insurance company did say "only below level X" on their policy it would make many of us choose someone else.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Some really intersting stuff on here. Any more news from others that tried to claim anything last year would be very useful.

Maybe Admin would like to make a sticky giving links to Insurance Companies that provide off piste ski insurance when not with a guide.

Here are a few links to help:

http://www.fogginsure.co.uk/cover.php?Affiliate=0 (Does British Ski team insurance I am told)

http://www.perkins-slade.com/home/ (also does SCGB)

http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/

http://www.snowcard.co.uk/pages/index.asp

http://www.dogtag.co.uk/home.aspx

http://www.aacuk.org.uk/benefits.aspx (someone else put this one on the thread thanks) (Austrian Alpine Club)

http://www.tgic-online.com/ti/jsp/welcome.jsp?AccountID=14778 (Snowboard Club UK)

http://thebmc.co.uk/modules/insurance/Landing.aspx (BMC)

http://www.pjhayman.com/schemelist.asp (agent for SCGB http://www.skiclubinsurance.co.uk/documentation/policy-summary-0910.pdf)

I am not recommending any of these, they are just the links that people have sent to me or been posted already all put together.

Details of info I have been sent about all these will be posted when complete. Till then, it might be worth you doing some reading but not taking out your policy yet.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 27-08-10 18:09; edited 3 times in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For anyone else interested, this is Dogtags view of their underwriters position (The same firm as some other ski policys) on what constitutes off piste throughout the world (Not just France or the US)
Quote:
Q. Do you cover Off Piste Skiing and what is the definition of Off Piste?

A. The generally accepted understanding of off-piste (or backcountry) skiing or boarding means 'going out of bounds', i.e. outside the resort boundary (if there is a boundary) or simply off the marked pistes if within the resort area. If you are going out of bounds or outside marked areas of the resort, we recommend you do so with a fully qualified local guide because, in our view, you will be taken to the best areas and you'll have a higher degree of comfort concerning your safety. However, we do not insist that you take a guide, you are insured for off-piste without a guide provided that you are not going alone or going against advice. And remember, even some areas within a resort may be considered out of bounds because they are hazardous. In most parts of North America, going out of bounds contravenes local law and you may, at best have your lift pass confiscated or worse, face arrest and have an overnight stay courtesy of the Sherriff's office. Normally there is a physical fence with warning signs so you shouldn't be in any doubt.

It is your responsibility to ensure that on any particular day you are aware of and obey local advice, information and instructions given by the resort authorities and that you obey any signs and information you encounter on the mountain - the source of this information will vary resort to resort and country to country and it is your responsibility to find out. If a section is marked 'closed' there will be a very good reason for it (e.g. high avalanche danger) and ignoring such signs or advice may invalidate your cover. You should be aware that under the terms of cover, needless self-exposure to peril except in an endeavour to save human life may invalidate your cover.

Obviously, you must never ski off-piste alone.

http://www.dogtag.co.uk/faqs.aspx#1332

Perhaps other snowHeads would care to post the definition of off piste from their insurance policy here.

I have claimed on ski insurance twice. First time settlement took 6 weeeks. Second time with Dogtag the money was in my account in 14 days. (Neither claim was for off piste.
Boredsurfing wrote:
.....Obviously, you must never ski off-piste alone.

Obviously? Right now I'm recalling a very pleasant spell below the Diable restaurant at LDA doing just that. That's Dogtag off the list, then.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
achilles, Indeed.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
david@mediacopy, achilles, me too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sorry for the delay in getting another post about this. Will try to bring news as soon as I can. This news will apply right across the board for single trips to seasons away so keep your eyes on this one. In the mean time does anyone else have any news about there experiences.
snow report
Hmm. It was that "skiing against advice" which I came up against. The girl I spoke to said that would "obviously" apply if there was an avalanche warning in force. From my chairlift observations loads of people ski off-piste alone.
ski holidays
pam w,
Quote:

From my chairlift observations

Which according to SCGB advice is the 'safest' off piste for their reps to take you on. ie off piste is OK if you can see a lift and you are no more than 5/10 mins from a piste. Laughable I know, but thats the guidance they were given, as relayed to me by a former scgb rep.

Pam (and any others), perhaps you would like to post on here your insurance policys definition of off piste so that we may compare.
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
Hmm. It was that "skiing against advice" which I came up against. The girl I spoke to said that would "obviously" apply if there was an avalanche warning in force. From my chairlift observations loads of people ski off-piste alone.

Skiing off piste alone in Europe is a minefield from an insurance perspective. Clearly lots of people do it in terrain they don't even consider "off piste" just ungroomed and with less objective risk than skiing on a crowded piste. Yet the same would also apply to solo descents of the Mallory couloir.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
The girl I spoke to said that would "obviously" apply if there was an avalanche warning in force. From my chairlift observations loads of people ski off-piste alone.

That’s ok then - don't resorts call them avalanche bulletin's not warnings. Toofy Grin
latest report
Boredsurfing wrote:
pam w,
Quote:

From my chairlift observations

Which according to SCGB advice is the 'safest' off piste for their reps to take you on. ie off piste is OK if you can see a lift and you are no more than 5/10 mins from a piste. Laughable I know, but thats the guidance they were given, as relayed to me by a former scgb rep.

Sorry but you have only quoted part of the criteria for the ski club leading off piste.

Reps also have to consider all the other obvious factors such as snow level, slope aspect, visibility, experience of the group etc.

I am an ex ski club rep so I am not fully up to date, but as I understand the ten minute factor, it is relevant to being able to obtain help or back track reasonably quickly if there is a problem.
latest report
Would people feel it was reasonable if an insurer said you could ski off-piste with a guide OR without a guide but at or below level 3 avalanche risk?
Not that I've ever seen that - but just out of interest.

VolklAttivaS5 wrote:

snowball . Who do you do your policy with out of interest? Is it the SCGB one?

Yes.

Gazzza And there is always an avalanche danger level - there is no zero on the scale.
snow report
snowball, quite, my point exactly. Thats why they are bulletin's or advisorys and they refer to a generalised risk level, and they not a specific warning.

My point was facetious (to the insurance companys) - arguably (though I wouldn't like to test it!) unless the resort sticks a sign out saying "warning no off piste" (which I have seen done in Les Arcs after heavy snow) then you are not skiing against warning.

This is of course daft as if you ski off piste with a risk of 5 then you are either a genius at mind-reading snowpack or are a pillock. One of the two.
But you get my point.
snow conditions
...before anyone lambasts I know the bulletin refer to risks related to specific pitches, at speific altitude ranges, etc etc so on the same day one slope can be exceptionally high risk while another can be relatively safe...
latest report
I never ski off piste alone... it's just that I often get seperated from my companion - Gerald the imaginary giraffe Laughing
snow conditions
The other thing to bear in mind in Yurp is what are you actually worried about and whether you can self-insure the perception gap betweem you and the insurer's interpretation of its own policy? For instance heli evac - buy Carte Neige, medical costs - EHIC, etc. If I'm sufficiently hurt offpiste to not be able to make it back under my own steam or aided by companions then to be honest I don't mind bearing some of the cost myself if insurers don't cover it and it was a grey area.

North America is a different matter due to exhorbitant medical costs but there are many policies (arguably all) that define inbounds as fair game and if I go outside/backcountry on a holiday, which I have, I accept its my own risk. BMC insurance is however well worth considering.
ski holidays
don't carte neige and Austrian Alpine Club policies apply worldwide?

i agree with fatbob - i am not sure what is missing (that i really care about) from a combination of AAC plus travel cover that comes with my credit card
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Arno, so let's say it's your unlucky day and you don't agree with the AAC (assuming you can read their decision) and wish to take the matter up with the Austrian insurance ombudsman (if there is one) or go for an Austrian court case or binding arbitration with an Austrian arbitrator. Would you be up for that? I would not.
snow report
achilles, that all sounds like a breeze compared with dealing with a UK-based insurer

seriously though, the terms of the policy and the fact that it is specifically aimed at mountaineers by an insurer from an alpine country makes me think that the likelihood of a dispute is much smaller than it would be with a UK insurer who has a built in get-out clause built into its policy (what on earth does "going against advice" mean?). if you multiply the likelihood of a dispute by the complexity of that dispute, it still, for me, comes down in favour of AAC. that's my risk assessment anyway - YMMV Little Angel
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arno, Hi, I think you have a really good point as well.

The same applies to the Carte Neige and Carre Neige in France and the Rega and Air - Glaciers in Switzerland. They all have much more expertise in the Alps when it comes to Rescue and medical insurance at a basic level. Personally I use both a French and a Swiss one depending on where I am skiing/boarding/climbing just for peace of mind. Does anyone know if the Italians have anything similar.

Here are the links for people to have a look at:

http://www.carreneige.com/en/index.php

http://www2.ffs.fr/carteneige/online

http://www.rega.ch/en/rega/start_regabereich.aspx?pid=040200000000

http://www.air-glaciers.ch/
snow report
Insurance comapnies like making things unclear don't they! Keeping an eye on this thread (amongst others) as I'm off to St Anton for the season working and it appears that off-piste isn't covered on the insurance we get. Going to get the Bergretter to cover rescue costs (which hopefully will not be used).
snow report
Arno, you may have a point. Any experience/knowledge of anyone having an off-piste accident well handled by AAC?
ski holidays
I have also come across another couple of Insurance companies in Switzerland, one like Carre Neige, you buy it at the lifts each day. I have know idea what they are like. Anyone ever used either of these.

http://www.snowcare.ch/

and also

http://www.swisslife-direct.fr/particuliers/loisirs/swiss-loisirs-sports-d-hiver-38.html
latest report
My apologies if someone has already mentioned it, I didn't have time to read all 3 pages ...

I use the British Mountaineering Council Insurance.
It's not cheap, but it is brilliant, and you can do absolutely anything.
It's also virtually the only one recognised by everyone, helicopters, hospitals etc No tedious faxing backwards & forwards whilst you are dying on the table
ski holidays
Alan McGregor, I didn't have any trouble with our insurers either (Direct Travel) when hubby broke his neck just before NY 2009. I called them, and they dealt with the hospital directly, and kept me informed of what was going on. I rang them if I needed to, to rearrange travel, hotels near the hospital etc. No faxes or claim forms until he was home. Ambulance from Briancon to Grenoble dealt with them directly by telephone.
snow conditions
i use an EHIC card and local piste rescue (carre neige or equivalent) plus a normal general travel insurance policy that doesnt cover off piste. i figure if i get hurt and carted off the rescue covers me, local hospital by EHIC and if i needed repatriation my standard general policy. I have private medical and if needed knee surgery or something that i would be covered. am i missing something? i cant believe if i needed repatriation for instance that there would be a record of where on a mountain i was recovered from..
snow report
skimottaret, but many European resort hospitals are private clinics (as opposed to state run) & won't recognise your EHIC card - & they'll want paying in cash!
snow report
spyderjon, only time i needed medical care was in mottaret's private clinic and they took the carte neige, no paperwork nothing. i have a decent family travel policy through the mrs. work. The accident i had i needed an ophthalmologist a few days later and she charged so little i didnt make a claim on the travel policy but could have done. I guess my point is once off the hill would anyone know or care if you were on piste or off?
snow conditions
skimottaret, I guess my point is that claiming would be fraudulent if the accident wasn't covered by the policy. I'm interested that the clinic took the carte neige, though - I had thought that was for recovery to clinic/hospital only.
ski holidays
It also covers emergency medical expenses that are not covered by the EHIC as well I think, such as prescriptions in resort, and private clinic fees.
ski holidays
Hells Bells, didn't you have some problem initially persuading them that they had to talk to you, even though Jules was "the insured"? That sounded very, very, frustrating. The only time I've ever dealt with an insurance company after an incident (twice, Snowcard) they were excellent. But they were straightforward - one a damaged ACL on a green piste, the other when a tornado blew half the roof of our house at home.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy