Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wateas v Movement Jam

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi. I am new to the forum and would appreciate some views please.

I am 30 years old, 6'1'' and 80KG. Would say that I am intermediate to advanced having done one season in 2004 but skied for 10 days a year before and since then. Can pretty much get down anything and am now spending my time 60/40 on the piste. I have been skiing on Head iXRC which I purchased in 2004. I am a fairly aggressive skiier and have found that my skis are chattering. I have also got tyrollian bindings with the rear attachments that can move 90 degrees (if that makes sense) and find that I sometimes pop out of them on high speed turns even when the dims are set high.

I am now looking to get a set of all mountain new skis and was looking at the Jams and the Wateas (78 and 84s). I plan to demo them at the MK snowdome but appreciate that it is not the same as the real thing. Also, I am remiss to buy at a resort due to warranty issues (spent last three years in US/Canada and heard that their warranties dont cover the UK). I would therefore appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

L
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ljsenn, welcome to snowheads Very Happy

I can only give you an opinion on the watea 78 in 174. I use them for skiing with my daughter, as everything else i have is a twin and she objects to getting sprayed with snow! I am shorter and lighter than you

Use them with rossi fks120.

I purchased them to use as a piste ski, with the odd bit of easy off piste that daughter likes, and they needed to put up with a variety of speeds. They seem to do everything well, not outstanding. Groomed piste is predictable with really good edge grip and turn initiation is quick, they go where you want, going really really quick they flap a bit, but they will go slow and not be a pain. Moguls: best ski i have for that easily.

On a day when daughter would not come out, (loads of snow) they were really good, much better than i thought they would be, floated reasonably well in powder and suprisingly as i expected them not to, they cut through the chopped up stuff and did not deflect.

From what i have read (but not tried) the 84 is better off piste, and as good on piste.

Not sure if testing in a fridge will tell you much. Also be aware that fischer tune from the factory 3 degrees side and 1 degree base (mine are tuned to that) will probably be different to a rental tuned ski.

Hope that helps
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
In the German ski reviews the Wateas come out better than the Jams. Ski chatter can be caused by various things.

Quote:
To summarize--the cause of your chatter is one or more of the following: your skis, your ski tune, your bindings, your boots, your alignment, the steepness of the slope, the firmness of the snow, or your technique.

http://www.epicski.com/forum/thread/81504/ski-chatter

If it is the ski's stiffness then finding a ski stiff enough not to chatter on piste but work well in the powder might be a problem.

What about the Head Peak 82 or 88 with the liquid metal techology appears to stiffen up the ski at higher speeds? Probably best to try first (rent) and make sure the skis are the root of the problem.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you for your comments. Wont be able to do much in the fridge apart from get a feel ansd see if they differ from my 7 year old Heads. Will do a bit more research.

Am off out to Whistler in a couple of weeks Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ljsenn, demo'ed both the Watea 84 and the Movement Jams at MK (amongst many others!) and am leaning seriously towards purchasing the Wateas (unless I decide to go wider, but that's another discussion...so decisive me).

Found the Jams slower to turn and heavier than the Wateas, which were very nimble and behaved beautifully. admittedly difficult to get a true feel in the fridge, but better than picking by colour and rep alone! Must go back in a couple of weeks to play some more. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks Blunty. Am probably going to go this weekend to MK or Hemel Hempstead (not been to latter before). As for decisiveness...join the club Very Happy have been pondering new skis for about a year!! Was told that this is the year to buy though due to the exchange rate. Alot of the shops buying new stock in preparation for next year are having to pay up to 30% more (apparently)
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ljsenn,

Testing a mainly offpiste ski at MK or Hemel probably won't tell you much . Why not test in Whister and then buy in the UK when you come back? I generally test offpiste skis in St Anton informing the ski shop that I'm thinking of buying a new ski so want to try more than one ski in a day. I've had up to four skis in a day and the hire shops generally agree to knock the hire price off the ski should I purchase a new pair of skis tested. (i.e. new pair of the skis tested not used hire skis). Another option is to test skis throughout the season then pick up a discounted pair when the new models could out the following season or pick a pair up from ebay (normally from someone who didn't test the skis but ended up not liking them).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not a bad plan DB thank you.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ljsenn, Welcome Very Happy
The only advice I can offer is that my mate, a similar weight and height to you bought the watea 84s and absolutely loves them. He's got Marker Barons fitted to them. He is extremely happy with his purchase.
I tried the Jams the other week and found them a real let down. I would say I'm quite an aggressive skier and found them just lacking in all areas. Actually couldn't wait to get them off Sad
To add to your problem though I did try another pair of Movements, the Sluffs and they were awesome. They like to go very fast either on or off piste.
I bought them last Saturday and after a day of acclimatization I decided to open them up on the piste on Sunday. For 99 under foot they are surprisingly nimble and they gave me total confidence at speed. The difference between them and the Jam is massive!
Anyway, just throwing them into the mix. Good luck with your decision
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ljsenn,

It's all in German but here are the names of other skis similar to the Watea 84.

http://www.testberichte.de/a/ski/magazin/planetsnow-1-2009/139631.html

http://www.testberichte.de/preisvergleich/level4_snow_134908.html

I'd certainly add the "Völkl Mantra" and "Stöckli Sport Stormrider VXL" to your demo list.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks again DB and thanks Will. EB also recommended that I look at the Dynastar Sultans and the Salomon Lords. Going to have a happy time demoing thats for sure!

Dont know about you guys, but I just want to get on a mountain right now. Whistler cant come soon enough!!! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy