Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Courchevel - Where to take them?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm off to Courchevel on March 12th for my last week of the season. I am going with my good lady and her family. It will be a mixed bunch ranging from timid intermediate (can do any blue and most easy reds, but improving) through to borderline intermediate/advanced (everything but the hardest blacks.)

None of them have ever ventured off piste and are unlikely to this trip either. They are also first timers in Courchevel / 3V. I have skid the 3V extensively, thoug Courchevel being the largest gap in my knowledge (skid there 3 or 4 times in the last 20 years.)

Have any snowheads got any recommendations on good trips out? We'll be based at 1850 for the week (lucky us!) and will be getting just the €166 Courchevel Valley liftpass. I would imagine we'll pay the €20 upgrade to a 3V pass for a couple of days.

So, any thoughts you bunch of experts you!?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If planning on upgrading for a couple of days, surely better just to pay €204 for a full 3v pass anyway? That way if you find yourself at a cross over point you can pop over to another valley without thinking about it.

1650 definitely comes highly recommended. V quiet and some really nice runs, especially from the top of the Signal chair.

The run into La Tania was also really nice last week.

Avoid Sauliare unless first thing - v busy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Good point! 3V passes it is!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I would imagine we'll pay the €20 upgrade to a 3V pass for a couple of days.

I think I worked out last time we were there in Jan that if you pay for the full 3V pass and go over two days you break even.
We got the Courchevel only pass just once and regretted it as we spent the whole time when we were at the top that we'd got the pass to go over.
The thing is, sometimes the snow is just so perfect just over into Motteret/Meribel even if you don't go as far as VT. In Jan I was surprised at how much we used it and got value for money.
But I suppose it does depend on how much/fast you ski. We're not experts but we do ski quite fast these days and cover the ground, so we don't notice how far we've travelled. If you have slower people in your group they might find it hard going if you get too far away. You need to make sure you're back at Motteret(?) reasonably early (before 2.30 -3.00)to get the lift back up as it gets horribly crowded towards the end of the afternoon.
I agree with Chuff, 1650 is lovely and so much quieter than 1850.
La Tania's good if it's not icy going down to the bottom - I must say it's never been my favourite run.
If you're in 1850 you might find the golf course fun - it's on the right hand side as you come off the Verdons lift (I think it's Verdons - I just go up and down and don't always know which lift I'm on!!) Anyone can ski on this of any ability and have fun - you ski up and down the bunkers. But watch out for people taking off and heading straight for you! There's no one-way system.
Some of the runs that come down to the Aguille de Fruits lift are good - especially Creux.
Have fun.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The 3V site has quite a fun route planner that allows you to choose a start/finish point and it will give you a 3V itinerary based on your skill level and the weather. Unfortunately, its a horrible broken site and I can't link to the route planner (its not even mentioned on the site anymore) but trust me, just click where you see this banner:

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great find playdreamer
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh and benjj, try and make it over to St Martin de Bellville to do Jerusalem and the other red that runs parallel to it ( that can't remeber the the name of )
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with 1650 recommendation - lots of variety, and always relatively quiet. Eat at Bel Air (at top of bubble up from 1650)

My own experience is that there's so much good skiing in the Courchevel valley that there's no need to go further afield very often. As for trips to the other valleys: much of the Meribel valley has nothing extra to add versus Courchevel, but it's definitely worth going to the top of Mont Vallon (above Mottaret), and it won't take you too long (just two lifts from Mottaret). It's also fun to head for St.Martin de Belleville for lunch (reachable via just one lift from Chaudanne in Meribel itself). If you really want to feel you've seen everything, head for the Cime de Caron above VT, but allow a good two hours to get back from there to Courchevel
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agrre with most of the above especially1650. Iwould suggest that 160 km of Courchevel would be quite enough for the group you describe. Do day trips ie a day concentrating on 1650, another on La Tania, perhaps another to 1300. Fab place for such a group. Would also put a good word n for Ski Academy. If you want a private lesson ask for Rapfhael, fab instructor.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jane's right. A full 3V pass ain't worth it unless you're getting over into Meribel at least twice in the week (with at least one of those trips taking you all the way over to the Val T valley - although you don't need to be fast or expert to achieve this as there's a lovely nice blue leading down into Meribel from Courchevel, and again from Meribel into St Martin). I'm with the others - there's plenty in Courchevel to keep you all occupied for a whole week (IMHO Courchevel has most of the best snow in the 3V). Just pay for the upgrade on the day when you're bored with Courchevel.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Eat at Bel Air (at top of bubble up from 1650)

Yes, Bel Air is great - though we've always found in busy periods that you need to get there by midday or book in davance.
The other good place is Chenus - self service but the food's good and the people very friendly.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'll second that for Bel Air.
Booking definitely recommended.
Nice deck chairs (if you can stay warm enough in this weather!
Good grappa too (largest bottle I've ever seen...)
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
How long does it take to ski from 1850 to VT - blues/reds - cruising speed? Does anyone recommend a good route - or is it obvious once we're there? Cheers.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
erica2004, Very little time. From 1850 go straight by lift to the top of Saulire. Ski down to the rock where thee is a signpost for Courchevel one way and Meribel the other. Take the Meribel way and ski down Marcassin, which is a nice red to start with and soon turns blue. Not difficult. At the bottom you are in Mottaret. Take the Plattieres bubble and either go up to the top and take Allouette (nice red) to the Cote Brune lift or get off at the second stop and go straight to the Cote Brune on Bouvereil. At the top here you take the nice swoshy blue called Pluviometre all the way down to Val T. It really doesn't take long and the runs are magic, every one of them. Enjoy! snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Chris Bish, 'swoshy'? Good word, I'll try to drop it into conversation. I know exactly what it means (I think).
snow conditions
Coming back from VT to 1850 can be a bit slow. Quite often long queues for the Three Valleys I and II chairs out of Val Thorens, and the bubble from Mottaret back to Saulire can have bad queues as well: had to blag our way onto this after it was officially closed one year, they only let us as they saw we have courchevel-issued passes. [Hint: Don't decide *after* lunch to go up Cime de Carron!]

PS On the way to VT, the Cote Brune chair always seems very c*o*l*d.
ski holidays
richmond, my spellchecker finds it to be a word somewhere between "swooshy" and "swishy". No more to be said really! snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish, with a hint of squashy, perhaps? Sounds like an excellent run.
latest report
When I went in March 2004, the first day was so hot that the pistes could be described as "Sploshy", but I'm pleased to say that a fresh snowfall on the Sunday night sorted that out.
snow conditions
Thanks Chris - we'll give it a go - off to 1850 on Sat.
snow conditions
erica2004, Just be careful to take the left hand route on Marcassin to Mottaret. From the rock (it will be obvious) you turn left down the hill. If you stay high and follow the Meribel banner, you end up, not surprisingly, in Meribel. We got a nervous lower intermediate through what I described and even got her up to the glacier and down the steep bit on Col. You can get around 3V easily because the links are so good. We wre there half-term week and barely queued. The other "undiscovered" bit is La Masse the other side of Les Menuires. Wide open spaces and nobody there! snowHead
snow report
Hi Chris Bish - just got back from 1850. We did the run to VT, as you suggested. We also did the run via Col de la Loze as well. I think my favourite run in the Courchevel area has to be 'Le Creux' from the top of Saulire.
snow conditions
Glad you enjoyed it. I've already booked my flight for next Feb Half-term. Our 3rd time there and we have hardly scratched the surface. I just love it. Off to Val D next week though! snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy