Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

'Dead' Toe...? Advice anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
Skiing in Tignes in early December ended on day two with an excruciating pain in the sole of my foot, which I put down to my new boots not quite fitting properly, which were possibly squeezing my toes together and crushing my toe next to my little toe. Sorry to sound like a complete wimp, but 5 weeks later and the 'cramp' feeling I have had since it happened just wont go away.
Is this a normal skiing injury and if so does it rectify itself ..... the toe itself looks perfectly healthy???????
Advice anyone?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Go for an xray - 5 weeks sounds too long.
Ski boots (like all other footwear) are not meant to hurt (even when new)
Most fitters will be able to change the shape of the outer shell by a small amount, so go and see a desent boot fitter. But, ??, if they are too small you may need to just bin them and get a new pair - but I'm NOT an expert on boot fitting, so go and see a boot fitter after you have been for an xray.

The boots I'm using for this season (skiing avg = 7 to 8 hours per day) are from Précision in Val D'Isere (I do pop over the border now and again). When I bought them, I skied for a day then went back and the heated them up and bashed em around, did the same the next day and now they fit fine.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ouch! Go see a chiropractor, they can do x-rays in the clinic and many of them will also offer a gait analysis scan which may help. Did you wear your new boots to pack down the lining a bit before you skiied in them?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bluemoon, welcome to snowheads!
Not exactly the same situation as yours but several years ago I returned from a skiing holiday with a 'numbness' along the upper outer forefoot. It lasted for quite a few weeks and then it did go and full sensation returned to the foot. The GP said it was due to bruising/swelling around the nerves in the foot and when this settled down the feeling would return which it did.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bluemoon, I had a totally dead foot for about 6 weeks after using a pair of Salomon SX90s back in the day. They just squeezed a nerve. The feeling did come back, but better to get it checked out.

sarah, I've been using my thermo inners the last few days and have had 'dead' toes as per our discussion. I think they're just too tight there. I definitely have no wriggle room with these inners, just like you. It's worth it though (dead toes don't hurt), to be warm in the rest of my feet. Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A couple of years back following a ski holiday I had a similar numbness in the ball and small toe of one foot for a good while after coming home. Can't remember how long, but it was certainly quite a few weeks. It eventually disappeared and I haven't had the problem since. I had rental boots at the time, have my own now and haven't had the problem again. I remember being a bit worried and searching all over the Internet ... but finding nothing helpful!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
easiski wrote:
sarah, I've been using my thermo inners the last few days and have had 'dead' toes as per our discussion. I think they're just too tight there. I definitely have no wriggle room with these inners, just like you. It's worth it though (dead toes don't hurt), to be warm in the rest of my feet. Very Happy

easiski dead toes don't hurt?? You are tough wink Maybe mine weren't dead enough! One is still black Skullie
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I had the same issue as easiski, squashed nerve and no sensation in my foot. At the time I thought it was frost bite and was a bit concerned. Doctor in the mountains said it was relatively common injury due to boots being overtightened and crushing the nerve which runs down the foot. I felt as though I was walking on a golf ball. Injury cleared up after six to eight weeks. I now do not tighten the boots as aggressively as I used to.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah, If they're 'dead' they don't hurt - coming back to life hurts though! I frequently find I can't bend my feet at all and/or feel my toes at the end of the day, but it's more regular with the therma-fit inners. The foam injection ones fit much better, but are not warm. Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To all, thanks very much for all your good advice ... its obviously a great deal more common than I thought.
I am back out in Tignes on Weds morning (20/1) to give it a test out!
There is no pain with the 'dead toe' nor discolouring, so I guess I'll do what we all do ... grin and bear it ... but perhaps be less aggressive with the tightening of tghe boots. I think I was little paranoid of the boot being loose having not skied for a couple of years.
Hope to be able to write from Tignes, assuming the potential snow does re-appear at Gatwick and delay me getting out there!
Anybody else out in Tignes this week?
snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I had a dead little toe for about 3 months. All fixed when I changed boots. The feeling is totally back to normal now. Must have trapped a nerve or something.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Don't know about dead toes, but when I returned to skiing 8 years ago after a 15 year break (don't ask crazy I know, spent all my cash taking the family to Majorca Embarassed) The first week I had was in rental boots, I endured this for 3 days then on one particularly cold day I was in absolute agony. That evening I bit the bullet and went out and bought some boots, they (what I thought then) faffed about in the shop for a couple of hours fitting them. I used these boots for another 3-4 years until my level of skiing dictated I needed a higher level of boot.

Anyway back to the point, for about a year the tips of my toes were tingling after I took my shoes off at night, it wasn't really uncomfotable but was noticeable. This sensation gradually got less intense as time went by. it finally went away and has been replaced by the tips of my 3 inner toes having virtually no feeling at all. I feel the catalyst to this was the ill fitting boots I wore all those years ago.

NEVER EVER BE TEMPTED TO BUY BOOTS OFF ANYWHERE THAT DOES NOT HAVE A TRACK RECORD. My current boots were purchased and fitted with foot beds at Ellis Brigham in Manchester and I have never had any problems whatsoever. I remember going into EB and wanted some Atomic's with thermic liners, the fitter took one look at my feet and said they wont fit you, but I insisted and tried them, He was right. He then put me into My Technica Diablo's and I knew instantly they were right. He then spent a couple of hours fitting them.

Anyway back to Your point, my wife also had a pair of ill fitting boots which rubbed at the top of her big toes, after returning from a ski trip it took about 3 months for the bruising which had occured to appear growing out at the cuticle of the toe nail, this eventually grew down the nail until her big toe nails were completely black (some 7-8 months after wearing the boots) The nails then eventually just droped off, leaving a new nail underneath.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Kel,
Quote:

NEVER EVER BE TEMPTED TO BUY BOOTS OFF ANYWHERE THAT DOES NOT HAVE A TRACK RECORD
Quite right, but equally, be careful when clipping up a boot that has been bought from a person with a track record second to none. wink I currently have a 'dead' instep on one foot. I knew, as soon as I put it on, that the boot was done up a bit too tightly on my ankle, but decided that it wasn't worth readjusting and that it would ease once I started skiing. Mistake. Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle,

Agree I clip my boots up using one finger, after a couple of runs I will crank the top 2 clips up a couple of turns. I NEVER have to release the clips at lunchtime, no need. I am a bit of an equipment junkie and always manage to spend a few hundred quid every year on stuff I dont really need, but I will not replace my boots until I really need to, they have had about 14 weeks use and are still in A1 condition.

Bluemoon, I see you only have 4 post's, so new on here. I am presuming (rightly or wrongly) you are new to this skiing game, so please take this advice and use it to your advantage. £50 saved on Ebay boots can ruin a £4k family ski trip.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kel,
Quote:

I NEVER have to release the clips at lunchtime, no need.
Me neither, the boots are a perfect fit and this was just a really stupid mistake. I think a sock got ruckled, or something. Still, never mind, as everyone says, the feeling will come back eventually.
snow conditions
Hurtle,

So we have agreed on this, it's only with experience you appreciate that kit makes all the difference.

Digressing from the point in hand I have just tonight purchased some Hi yellow lenses for my 2nd pair of Oakley wisdoms to replace the persimmon lenses they currently have in them. I know I am the worst skier in the world in flat light, this was confirmed when I completely missed a 3 foot ledge in Les Arcs over Xmas. I hope I never need to use these lenses, but I hope that if I need to, they will make all the difference (My forthcoming trip to tree baron Tignes prompted this purchsae).

My point is, a newbie could never appreciate £52 on a replacement lens, my wife even looked over my shoulder and said what are you buying now and walked away shaking her head Laughing . But only with experience that you and I have do you really know what makes the difference. And if there is anything down at the bottom of the scale that needs to be right above ANYTHING ELSE it is boots that fit and I am sure you will agree.

Bluemoon, Get some boots that fit before anything else, you will enjoy your skiing at whatever level so much more. Trust Me been there done that. wink wink
latest report
Kel, I hope the hi yellow Oakleys solve all your flat light problems. Can't honestly say that they've solved all mine, although they're an improvement on others I've tried. Luckily, I got them very cheaply.

Certainly agree with the proposition which has been stated many, many times on here, that boots are the most important bit of kit to get right.
snow conditions
My instructions from expert bootfitter was that the clips on top of the foot are just to stop snow getting inside, and should be done up very lightly - one finger job. I was told by a different bootfitter that my cold feet might be because the blood vessel along the top of foot was being crushed - again, boots too tight at the top.

I suspect a lot of us do our boots up too tight, especially when just cruising around or skiing in powder. How much time do you really spend doing very twitchy turns on moguls? the answer in my case is "none.

In really poor vis conditions you just can't see. End of. No matter what goggles you've got on. Go for a vin chaud instead. When it's just foggy then fine, the right goggles, and/or skiing on tree-lined pistes, make things much easier.
snow report
pam w, none of my clips was done up too tightly. The problem was inside the boot around the ankle area, probably a ruckled sock or bottom of long johns getting in the way.

I agree about goggles and really poor visibility eg white-out, but Kel was referring to 'flat light' ie a lack of definition rather than visibility.
snow report
Quote:

bottom of long johns

Hurtle, you might remember a thread a few weeks ago about that...... chop them off!
snow conditions
pam w, thanks for the advice. They aren't full length, so it was more likely to be a sock problem, or even the Zipfit liner being a little askew. The real moral of the story is that, in a very well-fitted boot, any unaccustomed discomfort, even if temporary and slight, shouldn't be ignored. I shall be more careful in future - though, just at the moment, I wouldn't be able to feel any discomfort anyway!
ski holidays
Ski boot compression syndrome!

Persistent numbness or pain is NOT GOOD and could lead to lasting damage.

I have had this on top of my foot for the last couple of trips. New boots coming next week, but I do have 'problem' feet. Very high arch.

The most important interface (imho) in skiing is the boots. They have the uncanny ability to be able to turn things bad quickly and ruin a holiday if they do not fit well.

As for the googles. I feel that a rose tint is the best in flat light. My other half kept nicking mine on our trip and they are certainly not an equipment junky but could tell the difference. The Oakley lense certainly are very clear, but I think the tint helps the most.

Good luck with all your foot related issues. Very Happy
latest report
gryfon, yay, it's got a name, then! I too have had it more than once, and also have high arches. It's always gone away eventually, though it's taken months. Here's hoping that neither the OP nor I have got lasting damage... The annoying thing for me is that this was self-inflicted - just a few moments of discomfort ignored and now I've got a numb foot. Really stupid. rolling eyes
ski holidays
for some reason my right big toe was uncomfortable yesterday - and last night. But today, though I was a bit apprehensive after all these tales of nails dropping off (and mine's not in good nick as it is) it was absolutely fine today. Bizarre. We had a long skate yesterday, and that might have done the damage.

One good thing about having a sore big toe is that it absolutely keeps your weight forward, so the toe doesn't bash into the end of the boot! No slacking.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy