Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow management reaches new levels with 'Snow Meter'

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Here's one for Pistenbully geeks:

A new Austrian GPS-based technology - called Snow Meter - which use masts next to pistes, combined with metering built into snow-grooming vehicles, is enabling ski areas to spread and equalise their snow distribution on the mountain. The system is accurate to +/- 3cm. A monitor on the dashboard of the groomer gives the driver a clear signal of where snow's needed or not needed.

This report and photos from Ropeways.net.

One operations manager on an Austrian mountain currently testing Snow Meter says:

Quote:
"We’re interested in precise information about the amount of snow at any given position within the ski resort in order to optimize our technical snowmaking capabilities. While using the slopes the skier move a lot of snow. With the support of snowMeter I can easily determine where sufficient snow cover is already given, where to remove snow and finally where to push surplus snow. This is very important especially during spring”.

What level of grooming perfection do you seek when skiing? When I began, in 1959, there was no grooming at all. Much snow was cut up on the pistes and it was tram-lined where everyone schussed. Terrain was natural, not bulldozed. Runs were significantly more challenging (and arguably a lot more varied and characterful) especially when combined with all-wood skis and leather boots. Mind you, the war had ended.

Is mountain/snow management homogenising skiing too greatly?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ernst Goldsmith wrote:
When I began, in 1959, there was no grooming at all. Much snow was cut up on the pistes and it was tram-lined where everyone schussed. Terrain was natural, not bulldozed.

I'm not sure what is natural about a slope after 1000 humans have skied it or what is so good about it, if I want to ski on the piste I prefer ripping GS turns on racing skis than skiing endless bumps and lumps of mounded crud all day. There is plenty of opportunity to ski truly natural terrain - you just need to get off the piste and that is where you'll usually find me. Grooming fresh pow is taking it a bit far though, at least let people track it out first!

If this technology can help keep resorts open longer and slopes survive better during poor snow years I'm all for it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy