Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

North America: Where?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all!

I want to check out the skiing in America. My bro just got back from Whistler which he said was amazing. Problem is: Winter Olympics. I want to go from the 6th-14th Feb, so that rules Canada out non?

So of the places such as Lake Tahoe, Jackson Hole, Salt Lake City etc., which would I like the most?

I am a fairly good skier (comfortable on black runs but my knees can't take off piste), I like to sweep my way down the piste (mainly on reds).

My favourite resort is 3 Vallees in France. I've been to Meribel 3 times and Courchevel once, but spend most of my days journeying up and across Val Thorens/Orelle. So I like long, sweeping runs which interconnect. I just got back from Verbier/4 Vallees where I thought the skiing was quite dull as you keep having to go down:up:down:across to come down and nothing interconnects like it does in 3 Vallees.

So I'd love some suggestions. Night life is a must.

Thanks and hope you're all enjoying season.

Seb
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Long, interconnected runs...nightlife...no offpiste...it sounds like you're looking for Europe not North America. (with the possible exception of Whistler - haven't been there).

I skied in Snowbird/Alta and in Jackson Hole and loved both of them, but the kms of runs are low by Euro standards.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm a huge fan of the North American skiing model, but, like horizon, I'm not sure it's for you. Most resorts over there are small by European standards and pride themselves on the extent of their double black terrain rather than an extensive network of groomed trails. I'm not sure it's worth crossing the pond if you primarily love groomers. Another issue is night-life. IME, most resorts there don't have any beyond the hot tub.

None of the NA resorts that I've visited meet your requirements. I've never been to Whistler, but, based on what I've heard about the place, it might fit the bill - except for the Olympics. Vail might be a possibility, too, but I can't vouch night life as I've only ever visited as a day tripper. The trouble with Vail is that the best skiing is in the bowls - and those don't suit your style.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Aspen.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks very much guys!

I have now booked St Anton. I am so grateful for SnowHeads. I knew I'd get helpful responses!

Cheers! Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you have a strong budget I think you would like in this order: Vail/Beaver Creek, Snowmass/Aspen, or Park City/Deer Valley. Each have many beautiful groomed pistes, good nightlife, luxury ambiance.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lake Louise?

Have a good time in St Anton Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
a bit of a colorado road trip can be done for not immense amounts of money

fly to denver, rent a car , drive to breck for a few days, vail for a couple then maybe aspen and then home

if you book all the condos online you can get good(ish) deals

but a week in st anton will be good also! (go to lech its worth the 7 euro bus ride)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks!

I take you can't ski over the top from St Anton then?

So excited. There's nothing quite like pre-ski excitement.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Well there's loads more as said above in Canada than just whistler.
Banff is great, with it's 3 close by resorts. Banff is a great little town. the Ptarmigan is a cheap and great little place to stay.
Mont Treblanc over in Quebec is a great ski resort. Really good mix of french and canadian, obviously, but in a great skiing way. So all the great bits of each, good nightlife.

Colorado i can't recommend enough, Breck- good nightlife if depending on your thing as it has a couple of champion bars with live music but not any type of french pub crawling extravaganza
, which has great parks, Copper mountain, slightly smaller but still good, and A Basin- for some gnarly tough bowl action.
Not a fan of skiing/riding in vail though the village is one of the best to be in.

Jackson Hole is pretty pricey, mainly the travel and its pretty extreme skiing. Waste of time for beginners and challenging for intermediates so not great for you as its mainly for off piste luxury.

As above whistler prob fits your bill the best, shame about olympics, next year.

But St. Anton from what my seasonaire friend tells me is amazing, I almost went myself this year! You go and enjoy, Check out their website for main bars etc
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Probably too late but here we go anyway ....

only problem with Lake Louise is the total lack of nightlife, there isn't a lot there if you are staying in LL.

One thing to bear in mind I think, in North America, you quite often have to get a bus to the ski hills.

What part of North America is St. Anton in Very Happy Very Happy

Hope you have a good trip.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cheers for the new replies guys. I now have the best source of decision making info for next year! We decided to do Europe in the end as money was a bit tight and ski passes and flights cost more across the pond.

Thanks for all the info, I didn't know a lot of the differences between NA and Europe.

Binho
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy