Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What makes a good ice ski?

Poster: A snowHead
In December, I hired a pair of Salomon xwing Tornado. It was very icy that week (turn, slide 20 yards, turn) but the xwings were really very capable on ice, much more than skis I have used before.
It got me wondering what makes a ski good on ice? Any thoughts?
Mick
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sidewall bevel angle.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
good sharp edges? That's what the racers use isn't it?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stiff flex, torsionally stiff, acute edge angles, sharp edges, good technique.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
penster, if you're typically hiring, what you've probably noticed is the difference between a well maintained ski and a poorly maintained one.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
and a narrower waist, surely (ceteris paribus)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
horizon, yes, losing a bit of weight always helps.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Metal laminate layer and sidewall construction? I have K2 Burnin luvs and they laugh in the face of ice!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The driver
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The driver & gear combo. Cuting turns and speed control on very steep and icy slope is the most difficult skiing challenge IMO.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MG, nah, skiing bumps well is more difficult
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name, skiing icy bumps well is more difficult again Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
wat little tiger, said
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sideshow_Bob, absolutely
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Heated edges.

TBH I can't beleive that someone like Dynastar or Rossi with their love of gizmos haven't tried this. If however they wish to schedule an expenses-paid development meeting with me in Cham to explore the idea, they can PM me anytime...
snow report
We talking proper Scottish blue ice , European ice (very hard piste) or USA ice (hard piste)
ski holidays
kitenski, water-injected race courses Smile
ski holidays
Cunners, umm, without trying to find out what I actually do recall of thermodynamics have you any idea of how much energy you'd need? Biiiiig battery or long mains cable I'd think...

kitenski, I would suspect that the OP was talking European ice.
snow conditions
Cunners, so, let's estimate how much ice needs to be sublimed

a run of 500m length - all ice

ski penetration of 2mm each side

volume = 500 * (0.002^2) /2

it's going to get complicated - once upon a time I could have worked this out in my head... Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
Quote:

they laugh in the face of ice

they might laugh in the face of hard-packed snow. I find it hard to believe that on ice, properly so-called, anything other than sliding flat and hoping for something better soon will do you much good.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
Cunners, umm, without trying to find out what I actually do recall of thermodynamics have you any idea of how much energy you'd need? Biiiiig battery or long mains cable I'd think...

It's not whether it works, it's whether it sells
latest report
pam w, hmmm, I once (1990) carved a perfect pair of railway tracks on a perfectly clear blue-ice piste (a river had run across it then it had frozen hard). So it can be done...

Cunners, you have a point. This time next year, Cunners, we'll be millionnaires!
snow report
under a new name, this time the year after that I will take your market with ultrasonic-vibrating edges.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy