Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Back Protectors

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Evening all, does anyone use a back protector for general, mostly piste based, skiing?

I am thinking of buying one (ideally one i can use for mountain biking as well) and wondered what peoples thoughts are on them in general, are they worth buying? Do you notice them when you have a backpack on?

Any general thoughts and/or recommendations would be gratefully recieved.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
stevec, Yes I use one, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9055. Only use the plastic spine protector when carrying a DSLR in my backpack. Bit of damage limitation. I also wear cycling 'bum-pads'.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I use a Forcefield one all the time skiing. After back surgery a couple of years back I don't want to take any chances. The back protector feels like a very light rucksack, so when you have a backpack you don't notice it. Sometimes I have to doublecheck that I have put the backpack on rolling eyes
I find it comfortable, and it now just feels "normal".
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are thinking of back protectors for my eldest son (7) and I.

My son is now exploring tree runs and his last instructor started him on simple off-piste stuff. Ideal back protector would cover him for horse riding, mountain biking and skiing. Any ideas? I have to have one as someone needs to ski with him Confused
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I usually use a lumbar protector (very short compared to normal back protector).

The elastic somewhat rides up around my waist which is a pain. I also have a lumbar section in my Dianese ski bottoms, which is useful on gnarly chairlifts. Shocked

Dianese stuff in general seems to be good quality from my skiing and motorbike experience.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
A couple of years ago a snowboarder hit me so hard from behind that I was thrown high into the air and landed on my back. I wasn't hurt but it made me wonder what would happen if a similarly stupid moron collided with my back (instead of my boots in the case of the snowboarder).

After reading various posts about body armour on this site, I recently bought a Forcefield Pro L2 Lumbar Protector and Forcefield Action Shorts with 4 layer armour.

I have a dodgy lower back and the Forcefield Pro L2 Lumbar Protector is perfect for my needs - as well as offering protection, it provides lumbar support and the wide waistband also means I have an extra layer of warmth in a crucial area. The level 2 protection is 2 cm thick and seems quite rigid at first, but after it has absorbed a few minutes of body heat it moulds very nicely to the body. I love it and wouldn't ski without it now. A level 1 back protector might be more suitable for the majority of skiers, but I am protecting an existing injury.

The Action Shorts also saved my hips and butt from injury several times during over crowded half-term skiing in La Plagne.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy