Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Insurance cover when paying for holiday with credit card

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone know what level of cover an credit card gives if one pays for a package holiday with it? The TO want to charge an extra £50 for using a credit card and since I'm going to pay it off straight away I could use my debit card. However someone mentioned that the credit card offers insurance/protection but what am I getting for that (£50)? I have normal travel insurance so I don't necessarily need more cover, nevertheless I'd be interested to know what additional cover is provided by a CC and whether anyone has ever had to use it and thought it value for money given that the TO is charging so much more for its use.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depends on credit card, my mbna one gives limited travel insurance, but its not much, and certainly not enough for skiing. The only benefit for paying with credit card is if tour operator goes bust, or you don't get what you paid for you may be able to claim against credit card co as contract is with them as well as TO. All to do with consumer credit act.

Can be useful as i claimed for a pair of new skis purchased from a shop, when they arrived they were not new, so long arguement, credit card co argued my case, and charged back the value.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I can't answer your question about your credit card cover, but don't assume your "normal travel insurance" is adequate for a skiing holiday. See this current thread http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=59949&highlight=

If you were thinking of paying the £50 credit card charge solely to get travel insurance (which is highly unlikely to include wintersports), that would be a poor bargain. You can get good single trip wintersports cover for your week's holiday for under half that.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
johnnyh, I suspect the insurance you get is against the purchase, not cover while abroad. If the tour operator goes through you'll get all of your money back from your card company. If the £50 is a percentage of the overall cost, put a small amount of it on your caredit card and pay the remainder by debit card, that way your percentage credit card fee is lower but the entire purchase is protected.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hyweljenkins, good point - will do that.

ccl, have annual travel insurance that covers skiing/snowsports

carroz, travelling with Crystal, so chances are they "should" be OK or at least less likely to go bust than a smaller operator.

Will do what hyweljenkins, suggests.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnnyh wrote:
... However someone mentioned that the credit card offers insurance/protection but what am I getting for that (£50)?

Possibly you're referring to the legal protection that's given under Section 75 of the Consumer Credit Act whenever you use a credit card (not a debit card) for a single transaction of £100 or more. Essentially the card issuer becomes jointly and severally liable with the company from which you're purchasing the goods or services so, if the service provider goes bust, you can get your money back from the credit card company. There are caveats, though - last time I checked the status of international transactions remained pretty unclear, for example.

If you're booking through a travel agent or directly with a tour operator, this is less valuable than it seems, though, as you're probably already covered by the ABTA or ATOL schemes.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RosieM, your post sounds like a tinned pork based product. Tell me I am wrong!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why reply to 4 year old thread? Suggest other people let this one die.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy