Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do I need to do to take my car to Val Thorens in early March?

Poster: A snowHead
I am taking my Volvo Diesel estate to Val Thorens in March, but what do I need to do to make sure it gets up there?

I know I need additives for the Diesel, but where do I get this from?

Also, do I need snow chains, or winter tyres, or are ordinary tyres OK? Everytime I have been up to a resort the roads have been cleared.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

K
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
With 1431 posts is this a serious question.

If so you need the following
1) Sat Nav remember to follow blindly up closed mountain roads and passes ( who needs maps )
2) You don't need snow tyres as long as you have at least half a mil tread on your racing slicks, and borrow a pair of cheap chains in case stopped by the rossers. ( don't need to fit )
3) Fuel just add a litre of anti freeze to each 50 litres of diesel, and uk diesel is good to minus 90 anyway
4) Dont bother with a flourescent jacket just make sure wife or daughter is wearing a dayglo disco top ( they can change tyre if you get a flat )
5) Matches and candle ( for wife or daughter to see wheels in dark when changing said wheel ) asuming you have a spare.
6) Don't use a Volvo, they are really naff, any self respecting snowhead would use either an Audi or a Land or Range Rover, God forbid you drive a Ford.
7) Warning triangle, Don't bother buying one, you can usually find abandoned ones on the hard shoulder of uk motorways, usually behind parked cars with their hazards going.
Cool If all else fails just follow a French snow plough, one is bound to head towards VT eventually.
9) Use the search engine on Snow heads Laughing Laughing Laughing wink wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Timbobaggins, Dead serious - they took away the snow train!! Sad
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kosciosco,

Okee Dokee.

Going from personall experience in a Mondeo diesel. ( driven to Les Menuires twice and La Plagne once and Flaine once ) driving twice this year.

UK diesel okay but fill up near alps with French diesel, freezes at lower temp. book underground or sheltered car park if accom has it. If not don't leave handbrake on as it can freeze on.
Sat Nav and good map and a route printed off via michelin or aa or rac website.
Snow tyres i personally dont use for a once or twice yearly drive to alps, i just use a good quality pair of snow chains ( Thule ect ). Got me out of the poo on two occaisions
Dayglo bib, GB sticker, Headlamp beam converters, warning triangle, spare bulbs and first aid kit and headtorch ( all available cheaply off fleabay )
Credit Card for tolls ( around £70 each way ) Get a Nationwide one and you dont pay commission ( wife works for them ) but non staff the same.
Make sure car has been serviced, also i carry at least a litre of engine oil and a 5 litre of concentrate screen wash.
Collect Tesco clubcard points for exchange for free chunnel crossings Very Happy

If you can go on a Friday and stop overnight at a cheap Formula 1 or ETAP 3/4 of the way down to Alps, you can do it in 12 hours but depends on weather and if you are going at peak time such as UK or French Half Term Mad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timbobaggins, Thats brilliant, thanks
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kosciosco, Lots of diesel rolling eyes rolling eyes rolling eyes

Also, is your vehicle still under warranty? Would recommend continental breakdown & recovery insurance.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kosciosco, if temperatures are really cold (below minus 15) you can buy little bottles of diesel additive at any petrol station in the area.

No need for satnav - if you already have them they can be useful but they can lead you badly astray - don't rely on them instead of a map.

I don't think nationwide credit cards do the "free purchases overseas" any more. Sad Sad But any credit card will do at the péage.

You most definitely need chains. Very often roads are cleared, but if you happen to arrive in a snowstorm (as you hope you will, obviously, as you are a skier) you could find they are absolutely essential - and if it's a busy day the police might not arrive you to proceed without.

practice using them before you're stuck (and find out which are your driving wheels.......).

continental breakdown insurance - yes, definitely a good idea.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
GeorgeVII, Vehicle is still under warranty, does it make a difference? Also, can you get continental breakdown and recovery insurance for a limited period, say 10 days?

pam w, Have the satnav already. Am planning on spending Friday night in Albertville, so will use Via Michelin to get a route map from there to VT as well.

Sorry for asking a stupid question, but chains only go on the drive wheels, yes?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kosciosco, Yep, chains on the drive wheels

Albertville to VT is straightforward - head to Moutiers, as you get there, the road splits into three lanes: Left takes you to the Haute Tarentaise resorts, Middle to Meribel and Courch, right to the Belleville Valley (and Val Thorens). So take the right, and keep going until you can't go any further (about 34 kms)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
To add to Timbobaggins point

1) A point of contact back in the uk that will be around and can look things up quickly on the net for yer - i.e. so if a ferry goes titsup they can look it up and help ya re-route to the train or similar.

2) Phone numbers of where you're going and any pre-booked places to stay. So that when you get lost driving up to resort in the dark you can phone for help. A streetmap of the resort you're going too (see their website) - so this is less likely.

3) Practise putting the chains on before you go. Last Thr would have been a good day for practising.

4) Soft brush / snow scraper / shovel if you have to park outside

5) When you take the car in for the service, get em to check fluid levels etc - tell them you're going to the alps.

6) Audio books on tape/cd/mp3 player (as per car permits) for the journey down - note: Alex Rider good, Kay Scarpetta bad.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w wrote:
I don't think nationwide credit cards do the "free purchases overseas" any more.

nationwide are still free in Europe, not Rest of World IIRC

pam w wrote:
But any credit card will do at the péage.
- have played 'card swap' at a french peage before - had to get onto my 3rd card before I found one that it liked. Nothing very unusual I was trying - cc from a high street bank
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
kosciosco
I don't think nationwide credit cards do the "free purchases overseas" any more. Sad Sad But any credit card will do at the péage.

It's still "free" in Europe. Nationwide passes on any Visa charges that it incurs but these do not apply in this case. I can confirm this having used a Nationwide credit card (extensively, unfortunately) in Les Arcs, the week before Christmas.

edit: as covered in the above post!

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 11-01-10 23:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jtr, The post office credit card is the same...which I have
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco, yes, you can get short term continental cover from the AA (whether or not you are a member, I think). Lots of things that can go wrong with cars are not covered under warranty and even if they are - might take some time, and might not get you home if, for example, your have a breakdown on the journey home. Waiting until you can get to a Volvo dealer, then waiting whilst they fix the car, could cost you quite a bit of money.

Have you got a proper spare tyre not a stupid can of goo, or a "space saver" tyre on which you can only go a short distance, rather slowly? If not, a simple puncture could cost you plenty of time and money.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Thanks, I shall look into the insurance.

Volvo V50 comes with a full size spare tyre. I hate space saver tyres too!
snow report
kosciosco, I'm glad to hear some manufacturers still do the right thing. Our fiat came with a tyre absurdly labelled a "space saver". Absurd because the space it was in (under the boot) was perfectly big enough for a full size wheel, and absolutely no use for anything else. We ditched it immediately, and bought a cheap proper spare.

Check your ordinary car insurance too - I think some still require that you to tell them when you are going abroad.

Have a great trip. snowHead
snow conditions
One must garage ones car in VT. The charges are about 65 per week but parking is inside big multi-storey buildings.
latest report
A shovel, Timbobaggins and pam w forgot to say shovel. Very important in the French Alps. Otherwise what else can you use to transport sufficient beer money in the evenings?
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
One must garage ones car in VT. The charges are about 65 per week but parking is inside big multi-storey buildings.
There is no tourist street parking allowed in VT, you will get tagged and towed. I would recomend that you book the indoor car parking in VT well before hand, as it can be fully booked at key times. valthoparc.com is the web site there will be links to it on the valthorens web site. It should prompt you to a car park near your accomodation. Allow about 10e per day based on last years prices.
I've been to VT a few times and it regularly has snow covered roads on the 20km run up the valley and nearly always snow on roads in the resort. I must admit though, the winter tyres i have meant I have only had resort the chains once in 5 years, but I really did need them ! If the weather is bad the police may not permit you to proceed without them. So chains should be on you shopping list and, dont rely on being able to buy them 'if required' near resort.
snow conditions
Practice putting chains on on your drive one Sat/Sun afternoon with plenty of time.

You do not want your first run to be in the dark, in the snow, in freezing temps with the family all moaning at you for being a muppet

Not that I know anyone who that has happened to
latest report
kosciosco, for Europe Breakdown Insurance try http://www.greeninsurancecompany.co.uk I found these by far the cheapest for both UK and Europe cover, much cheaper than AA or RAC however the level of service is not quite as high
snow conditions
kosciocso,

all great points, european insurance can be got by the week, european breakdown cover again just phone ur company.
Yes practice the chains going on and off. Get hold of an old rug or a sack so 1 you can knee on it while putting chains on and 2 keeps the chains off ground getting snowy and freezing up. Good pair of working gloves too for this as when u need to put the chains on it can be terribly cold. Head lamp essential for this if its night.
make sure you've got a shovel, got to ski shop get one there as they pack down well and are great for snow.
make sure u've got a tow rope too, headlight deflectors, luminous jacket is a must, GB sticker, spare bulbs.

Pack in the right order!, make sure ur chains and kit is somewhere accessible not right behind all the rest of the luggage.
No need for winter tires, but as stated above check the treads. When getting chains go to halfords or somewhere and either say, here's my car can i have chains. or take down ur tire measurements (the numbers of the rubber bit, with height, width and profile size) and see if you can find something cheaper online loads of deals.
Can be worth getting extra mirror enhancer for your off side mirror as when packed up u may not have ur rear view mirror, so a longer site offside mirror can be really helpful.

Have fun sounds like ur going to have a great time.
latest report
kosciocso,

all great points, european insurance can be got by the week, european breakdown cover again just phone ur company.
Yes practice the chains going on and off. Get hold of an old rug or a sack so 1 you can knee on it while putting chains on and 2 keeps the chains off ground getting snowy and freezing up. Good pair of working gloves too for this as when u need to put the chains on it can be terribly cold. Head lamp essential for this if its night.
make sure you've got a shovel, got to ski shop get one there as they pack down well and are great for snow.
make sure u've got a tow rope too, headlight deflectors, luminous jacket is a must, GB sticker, spare bulbs.

Pack in the right order!, make sure ur chains and kit is somewhere accessible not right behind all the rest of the luggage.
No need for winter tires, but as stated above check the treads. When getting chains go to halfords or somewhere and either say, here's my car can i have chains. or take down ur tire measurements (the numbers of the rubber bit, with height, width and profile size) and see if you can find something cheaper online loads of deals.
Can be worth getting extra mirror enhancer for your off side mirror as when packed up u may not have ur rear view mirror, so a longer site offside mirror can be really helpful.

Have fun sounds like ur going to have a great time.
ski holidays
Full strength windscreenwash good down to -40c, (usually available in Lidl's) is an essential mainly to shift the muck that they spray on the motorways to keep them frost free.
You also need to take your V5C (log book) and certificate of insurance. (If a company car you need a photocopy of the V5C AND a letter of authority to take the vehicle abroad.)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy