Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Austrian Alps - Changeover days

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Could somebody tell me if Austrian hotels have a set changeover day for stays over Christmas / New Year (for diy flight/hotel)? Also, do they insist on 7 day stay?

I suspect the changeover day is normally a Saturday but this would be Christmas day this year.

Thanks, Pete
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It depends on the hotel... Where I am, a couple of the hotels in the village will only take 7 day bookings from Sat-Sat during the winter, other hotels are more flexible. Get yourself a shortlist of hotels then email them and ask them.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks. I suspect it would be logical for them to move to a Sun/Sun for the Chrostmas and New Year period this year.

Pete
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PeteMan, it is normally Sat/Sat in most resorts/hotels, with smaller places taking more flexible lengths of stay over the non-peak periods. However, over the Christmas/New Year period they are more likely to specify a length of stay, and I know last time we were away over new year on a weekend, they were specifying 9 and 10 day stays to make allowances for the holiday and to get them back on track for early Jan bookings. So an example for 2010/11 might be Christmas package from the 22nd to the 29th and then New Year would be longer from the 29th to the 8th. Or the Christmas one might start earlier.

So really, you will have to contact a couple to find out what they are doing. Depending on where you plan to go, most resorts kind of decide this as a resort so you usually only have to ask one to get an idea of what they are planning, and as ever smaller places might do their own thing anyway.

Depending on where you want to go and the type of accommodation you are looking for, it can, in my experience, be a little frustrating trying to book these periods, as some resorts/hotels etc. have a lot of 'Stammgaeste' - repeat return guests who have first option on bookings before anyone else, so you need to get in early, but then also be prepared to be patient, as they might not start allocating actual bookings until Maytime. I have gone through this in Obertauern, Lech (gave up, too difficult to deal with and too standoffish about whether they were interested in our booking or not) and Kitz and there were different 'rules' every time.

I realise this all sounds a bit negative, I really don't want to put you off! Austria is lovely at this time of year and I would thoroughly recommend it, it's just that Christmas and New Year are understandably their busy period so the process for booking what you want, when you want, where you want it can seem a bit tedious sometimes! But it is absolutely worth it!

D
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy