Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stubai Valley - been recently?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello

I’ve done a search and found surprisingly (worryingly?!) little previous chat on here about the Stubai valley and its ski areas (the glacier, Schlick 2000, Serles and Elfer).

Has anybody been in recent years and do you have any good tips - particularly for ski hire or English speaking tuition?

I am going later this month for a short trip with a mixed group. We chose the valley as tobogganing, swimming, cross-country and visiting Innsbruck are more important to some than downhill skiing, but I at least would like to get a few days in!

We’re staying a couple of nights in Neustift and a couple in Fulmpes.

Any inside info gratefully received!

snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
wigan, yes been there recently, not much English spoken at all so no idea about English speaking ski lessons.

Schlick is a really charming little ski area and fine for a day or two, nothing too tough and all quite relaxed. The Stubai Glacier is at the end of the valley and you will have to jump on a bus for a few minutes to get there, and whilst it has some blacks it again is quite a sedate mountain and has lots of relatively easy motorway groomers. As with all high altitude skiing it is at the mercy of the weather gods, but you will certainly have plenty of snow up there.

I really like the Stubai valley, very pretty indeed and great to get away from the Brit hoardes Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for that rayscoops, Sound good! I think the old GCSE German will have to be dusted down though Laughing

I like the variety the valley seems to offer in terms of big glacier, but also 3 tree-lined mini areas to hide in in bad weather.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 11-01-10 14:14; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wigan, yes, it is quite famous for walks and all that extra stuff and I believe there is a very long itinerary/piste from the glacier down the gondola which could be near to 2000 m vertical ! There was not enough snow last time I was there for the mini areas to be open and unfortunately they shut the glacier at lunch time because of high winds so I had to head to Schlick which was busy but fun. That said it seemed like it would be brilliant with a decent dump of snow

I too had to try out a bit of German even to get served in bars and the B&B Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been to Neustift twice recently and skied on the glacier both times. I like it a lot. As Rayscoops says, lots of long cruisers but some of the red runs (eg the one down to Dresdnerhutte) derserve their gradings. All of teh restaurants were pretty good - a couple of big self service places at Eisgrat and Gamsgarten and atmospheric places at Dresdnerhutte and right at the top at Jochdole.

For ski hire, get on either of the two gongolas at the bottom and get off at either Gamsgarten or Eisgrat - both have very efficient ski and boot hire operations and you can leave your day shoes there. Alternatively there are ski hire shops dotted around Neustift and elsewhere in the valley.

For apres ski turn right at the bottom of the gonola and head down the road 50 meters towards the car park - there's a very lively bar (cheesy Europop etc). The Dorf pub in Neustift is pretty good and there's an 80's style disco more or less opposite which is fine.

Ski buses from Neustift to the Glacier can get crowded so leave early!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wigan,

Skied at Stubai last Feb/2008. For intermediate skiers like us , astonishing !!!!

Long and wide runs, good lifts, good snow, from simple blues/green to hard, bumpy blacks. Out pistes as well. But I think you'll be find more terrain from medium to hard.

One of our favorite and long runs was the Wilde Grub`n, fantastic 10Km mixed difficult piste/off.

Hire from Olympia www.skischule-neustift.com/ at Neustift, with Albin(English speech) . Good price and good equipment, ski class.

Let me do some adivices:

1) Gettiing there by car? Remember, winter tires are mandatory,
2) Buy(gas stations) the windshield "Austian stick", just you pass by the border and put it.

As already said about the ski bus, the same for going to Stubai by car, the way come very crowded , so leave early!

All the Valley is fantastic. We loved the whole experience.

Good Luck!
Eduardo
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pjd, beised, Thanks for the info and favourable reviews (phew...)

I like the idea of hiring from the glacier mid-point (I have my own boots) to avoid slogging around the valley and buses with skis. Might get to try different skis that way as well. I've never skiied on a glacier before, and I normally enjoy cruising through trees best so this will be fun Very Happy (I think I can always get my woodland fix at Schlick though.)
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy