Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste maps for your phone

Poster: A snowHead
Somewhere I remember finding really detailed piste maps on the internet which, when zoomed in, showed lifts and each individual piste along with names and resort heights.

My thinking is that, as this was a PDF if I recall correctly, I should be able to download the file onto my Nokia E72 and then view these piste maps on the go.

Does anyone know where the maps I have been talking about might be located? It isn't the ones on Snow Forecast and they look like the ones on the First Choice website but you can zoom in and more detail appears.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Astraeus, there is a nice Iphone app which does this... but I don't suppose that helps Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
stoatsbrother, It's great isn't it. Serre Che has it's own app which shows lift opening and closing times too, as well as events, and loads of info.Excellent, but as my wifi at the apartment decided not to co-operate with my Iphone (or my laptop), I didn't get to use it properly.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.snowrental.net/skiing/france/val-d-isere/val-d-isere-pistemap.html

The above is an example of what I'm thinking of. I was just thinking how I could get these and I've concluded that, if I were able to get a super high resolution image with all of the details on, I could load that onto a PDF and then load that on my phone and it'd be zoomable. The next problem is - I can't find these high resolution, high detail maps in a JPG or PDF format.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Astraeus, I cant name any specific resorts but I'm sure I found some piste maps in pretty high res by just looking through a google image search for "[resort] piste map"
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skola wrote:
Astraeus, I cant name any specific resorts but I'm sure I found some piste maps in pretty high res by just looking through a google image search for "[resort] piste map"

Thanks. I've managed to uncover one medium-high resolution one for the Three Valleys - http://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/maps/Full3V.pdf - but that still isn't quite the level of detail of some of the ones I've seen - as per the post above about the Val d'Isere map.

Also, do you know where I can find a key for these maps? I think it's all relatively straight forward (gondolas, chairlifts, coloured runs etc.) but would still be helpful. Smile
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Astraeus, Is this big enough?

http://www.val-isere-ski.fr/plan-des-pistes/plan-des-pistes-val-isere.jpg
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.lesarcs.com/upload/2010_plan_des_pistes.pdf

Full .pdf of the paper copy of the Les Arcs 2010 map - doesn't get better than that!

Personally, i think you'll need to hunt them out on a resort by resort basis... and then upload them all to a single website for other Snowheads to use ! Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've got quite a nice PDF of VT which I could contribute, good resolution - it might be a year or so out of date though - if anyone needs it let me know

Mind you isn't this the sort of thing we could add to Snow Media zone or would we run into copyright issues with their creators?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Astraeus wrote:

Thanks. I've managed to uncover one medium-high resolution one for the Three Valleys - http://www.latania.co.uk/skiing/maps/Full3V.pdf - but that still isn't quite the level of detail of some of the ones I've seen - as per the post above about the Val d'Isere map.

These have a good level of detail. Someone (I dont recall who) linked these for me on another thread.
http://www.orelle.net/PDF/plan_pistes_les3vallees.pdf
http://www.orelle.net/PDF/plan-pistes-val-thorens.pdf
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://openpistemap.org/
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used Satski last year - with the added bonus that as well as zoomable piste maps it records your route (if you have a GPS) and you can watch it back later - and find out the shocking amount of time you spend on lifts comapared to actually skiing... Shocked
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
For those with an iPhone theres an App I found called iTrailMap which seems to be alright with zoomable versions of the pistemaps just like the PDF's.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
number9dream wrote:
I used Satski last year - with the added bonus that as well as zoomable piste maps it records your route (if you have a GPS) and you can watch it back later - and find out the shocking amount of time you spend on lifts comapared to actually skiing... Shocked

The thinking is that I can avoid the expense of Satski because, if I have these maps, my Nokia phone will use GPS to track the route, speed, average and highest speed, distance etc. and then I can overlay it onto Google Maps when I get home. Just it'd be nice for me to have these piste maps for when I'm there to think "that links to that" and so on.

ringingmaster, those maps are precisely what I'm looking for - superb detail on them. Hopefully I can find them for other areas/resorts too.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sirius, I've got iTrailMap too. Excellent for a free app.
ski holidays
I've also got iTrailMap but I can't see myself using any of this stuff when on the mountain.

First I won't want to take my gloves off, look at the phone and possibly get it wet etc, put gloves back on blah, Second I will want my battery to be as full as possible in case I actually need to call someone.
snow report
Well, using the maps provided above and one I sourced, I've made three PDFs - one for the entire Three Valleys region, one for Val Thorens and one for Meribel. They work like a charm on the E72. Adobe Reader is slightly slower loading the 5.5mb Three Valleys PDF but the other two are zippy and zoom to an impressive level of detail.

Later on today, I'll try and get some more maps and then can start providing screenshots for those of you interested in these maps.
ski holidays
Okay. As promised, here are the completed piste maps in PDF format. Some are better than others, allowing a 500% zoom without any quality loss. However, all of them are perfectly usable and quite helpful. On my E72, the Three Valleys and Espace Killy overviews run adequately whilst the resort-specific maps run at a good speed.

I'll keep on scouring for other high-resolution piste maps to do it for other resorts. Feel free to make requests and then, once we have a sufficiently complete list, I'll make them a bit more accessible.

FRANCE

Alpe D'Huez - http://www.busheywood.co.uk/pistemaps/alpdhuez_hires.pdf
Paradiski - http://www.busheywood.co.uk/pistemaps/paradiski_hires.pdf
Espace Killy - http://www.busheywood.co.uk/pistemaps/espacekilly_hires.pdf
Serre Chevalier - http://www.busheywood.co.uk/pistemaps/serrechevalier_hires.pdf
La Thuile - http://www.busheywood.co.uk/pistemaps/lathuile_hires.pdf

THREE VALLEYS
- Complete Three Valleys - http://www.busheywood.co.uk/pistemaps/threevalleys_hires.pdf
- Les Menuires - http://www.busheywood.co.uk/pistemaps/lesmenuires_hires.pdf
- Meribel - http://www.busheywood.co.uk/pistemaps/meribel_hires.pdf
- Val Thorens - http://www.busheywood.co.uk/pistemaps/valthorens_hires.pdf

SWITZERLAND

Zermatt - http://www.busheywood.co.uk/pistemaps/zermatt_hires.pdf
ski holidays
Astraeus, Nendaz/Verbier, Les Houches and Cervinia, pretty please? Little Angel
snow report
slikedges wrote:
Astraeus, Nendaz/Verbier, Les Houches and Cervinia, pretty please? Little Angel

Thought I had Cervinia but no. These are proving difficult to come by so I'll have a more concerted look tomorrow.
snow report
Astraeus, your piste map for Zermatt is out of date. Here is one off the Zermatt website (which also includes Cervinia). http://zermatt.ch/files/?id=15559
snow conditions
Thanks for that information. I shall have a look tomorrow and then update the Zermatt one. Bed time for me now!
snow report
Astraeus, yes i see - however Satski have changed their pricing model and now you can get any all resorts for a year for £16 Madeye-Smiley
snow report
number9dream wrote:
Astraeus, yes i see - however Satski have changed their pricing model and now you can get any all resorts for a year for £16 Madeye-Smiley

But won't I need a Garmin GPS?

EDIT: Looking on the website, it doesn't seem to work with my phone.
snow conditions
SkiingQuinHat wrote:
Astraeus, your piste map for Zermatt is out of date.

Astraeus - your map for Paradiski is horrbily out of date - that's a map from the '06 season if not before....

I'm not convinced posting links to very old PDF's and suggesting they should be used for on-piste navigation is a particularly good idea..
snow report
My apologies. I have trawled the internet looking for up-to-date piste maps and have had a fruitless time with it...none of these are displayed as out-of-date and Snow Forecast, IfYouSki, WeLove2Ski and a couple of tour operator websites have them as current maps.

I'll take them down as soon as is practicable and then pull the plug on this venture.
latest report
Astraeus, Don't stop - this is useful. Here is a decent up to date one of Les Arcs.

http://www.lesarcs.com/upload/2010_plan_des_pistes.pdf
snow report
astraeus_m wrote:
My apologies. I have trawled the internet looking for up-to-date piste maps and have had a fruitless time with it...none of these are displayed as out-of-date and Snow Forecast, IfYouSki, WeLove2Ski and a couple of tour operator websites have them as current maps.

I'll take them down as soon as is practicable and then pull the plug on this venture.

I wasn't suggesting that- just ask us to provide or suggest you check with Snowheads whether you had the latest version. Whilst there aren't massive changes - clearly the mountain doesn't come and go, but each summer most of the bigger resorts make the odd change to lifts or pistes or a bit of both. So the cumulative effect of looking at a map 3 or 4 years old and then looking at the mountain could add to a degree of head-scratching (on a sunny day) or potentially be a bit risky (on a overcast/snowy day)

You can't expect the TO's to have their maps up to date, most of them just bung on one they used 3 seasons ago and hope it will do. Given most punters pickup a paper map with a lift pass then it does work, but as I said above if you're recommending use of them for navigation then I think it's a good idea to make sure the maps are as up to date as possible and not 3+ years old

Given that some of us are fans of resort x, and might actually spend quite a bit of time there, then then it's often quite easy to spot maps that are out of date - usually in about 3 seconds. For the Paradiski one, I looked for the new arpette lift replacing deux tetes, new for this season - not there on your map, then I looked across and spotted that you had 'plan bois' still above vallandry which was replaced by Derby for I think the '07 season, so again dating the map a little. But to get the correct 'age' then I spotted La Roche lift not showing and checking on the Perso La Plagne site it was put in place for the 06 season, which would suggest your map is an 05 season or earlier...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Astraeus, This sounds like a useful idea - you know I've been playing with the E63. I've got the PDF of Les Arcs on the 2GB memory card that's in the phone and it also has the PDF reader installed, but when I try to open the PDF which I can see on the card I get 'application failed' 'not enough memory' any ideas please?
ski holidays
Megamum wrote:
Astraeus, This sounds like a useful idea - you know I've been playing with the E63. I've got the PDF of Les Arcs on the 2GB memory card that's in the phone and it also has the PDF reader installed, but when I try to open the PDF which I can see on the card I get 'application failed' 'not enough memory' any ideas please?

Are you running other applications at the same time? It could be that the phone is too short on RAM as I know the portable Adobe Reader is quite memory-intensive. Try closing all of your other applications (so that none of those little pies are displayed next to icons in the menu screen) and then loading it.
latest report
bertie bassett wrote:
I wasn't suggesting that- just ask us to provide or suggest you check with Snowheads whether you had the latest version. Whilst there aren't massive changes - clearly the mountain doesn't come and go, but each summer most of the bigger resorts make the odd change to lifts or pistes or a bit of both. So the cumulative effect of looking at a map 3 or 4 years old and then looking at the mountain could add to a degree of head-scratching (on a sunny day) or potentially be a bit risky (on a overcast/snowy day)

I know you weren't being damning with regard the idea but it does strike me as a dangerous idea to have people believe they're navigating from a current map. If I am able to locate a resource which has sufficiently high-resolution images for several resorts, I shall take it upon myself to convert them appropriately but, until I'm convinced that maps are up-to-date, I'll not go on with uploading them.
snow conditions
Quote:

(so that none of those little pies are displayed next to icons in the menu screen)

Astraeus, I don't recognise 'pies' so I guess I have no other applications open. Still out of memory Puzzled .
snow conditions
Astraeus wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:

I know you weren't being damning with regard the idea but it does strike me as a dangerous idea to have people believe they're navigating from a current map. If I am able to locate a resource which has sufficiently high-resolution images for several resorts, I shall take it upon myself to convert them appropriately but, until I'm convinced that maps are up-to-date, I'll not go on with uploading them.

Your best bet for up to date sources is the resort websites themselves as per the link posted by Ringingmaster above, although unfortunately most French resorts websites seemed to have disintegrated into an orgy of flashturbation...and finding a straightforward jpg or pdf in hi-res can be next to impossible...
latest report
I got a good fast response from the various tourist offices email addresses on the sites.
snow report
I have a nokia naviagator phone, can I simply download a map from satski for a given resort onto my phone. Is it as simple as that ?. Not really a technophobe but never faffed with anything like app's before. Have seen peeps with this before,is it really this simple.
ski holidays
Astraeus, just wanted to say great idea and thanks for your efforts! Very Happy
latest report
On a similar thread i have been putting the lifts for Saalbach on my own googleearth. sad as i am. it is taking a while but i am enjoying seeing my next trip come to life online. i am wondering if we could collectively build piste maps into google earth? i know you can download certain info for google earth which i think is a kmz file. probably no good to use on your moby but just an interesting project.
anyone with more idea interest or application would be appreciated.
snow report
ianbradders, Bloody good Idea.... If we all do it then it should be amazing! Smile
snow conditions
midwinter, thanks for your entusiasm. which resort are you "bagsying"?
i will happily claim most of the grand massif and some of portes de soleil. most of my other ski trips are sadly fading into memory.
snow report
Trouble is my phone at home does not have a long enough lead.......would I need a cordless?????
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy