Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommended budget camcorder (or ones to avoid)?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this should be in "Apres" or here.

I am looking at getting a camcorder for two reasons:

1. To take decent vids when skiing, so it needs to cope with the light conditions and be fairly robust, small and easy to use with frozen fingers and have a good optical zoom capability, image stabilisation and decent battery life (cold temps reduce it). Would be good if it took stills too, so I wouldn't have to find pocket space for both at the same time but that's only a minor nicety.

2. For recording indoors under normal and fluorescent lighting. I am starting my level 4 in Sign Language and have to produce a portfolio of good quality video evidence copied onto DVD. It MUST have a tripod slot for this and be capable of a picture good enough res for the assessors to view comfortably on a standard TV screen.

Media type
For my L3 I borrowed a fairly old Sony Digital 8 - ok but a bit of a faff downloading off the tapes and editing. I think I am favouring recording to SD cards. Friends on the L3 course that had cams that recorded directly to DVD or mini-DVD reported quite a few reliability and playback compatability problems. A hard drive cam sounds good, but I wonder if the limited recording time would be a downside, especially on a ski trip where opportunities for downloading off the cam would be nil whilst away?

Cost
I am wanting to keep well under £200. Yes I know you get what you pay for, but I am sure the budget market does have a suitable product for my needs!

I have seen a couple online but of course have no idea what the quality of recording is like. In shops you can usually play with kit, but can't see what it's like played back larger on a TV (or do places like Comet/Currys let you do that?). I know there are reviews on sites like Amazon, but I trust SH reviews more!

http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/525170/SAMSUNG-SMX-F300-SILVER
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-SDR-S26-Flash-Memory-Camcorder/dp/B001QXDLDI/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?tag=amz07b-21
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Camcorder Info is a good place for independent reviews. I've bought a couple of cameras from Camera Box and their prices were very competitive.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Rob.

I have seen another thread on this same topic, so to avoid duplication will join in with that one now. http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58337&highlight=
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Butterfly,
I had similar requirements and bought a Sanyo Xacti VPC-CA9. (Cheap, Small, Waterproof, HD and records on a Flash Memory Card)
I actually bought a Sanyo Xacti VPC-HD700 first but dropped it in a lake so replaced it the waterproof version.

I bought both from Camera Box as they were the best prices.

I'm sure there are better quality ones out there but for my needs it is perfect. I normally record in HD quality then convert to DVD quality on my PC.

p.s. they both had tripod mounts.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try a Kodak ZX1. I have one and it is absoultely fantastic.

It's HD, waterproof, expandable with SD cards, comes with HDMI lead etc. Ideal for outdoor activities. Couldn't be easier to use, has better reviews and is a lot cheaper than the sanyo xacti's.

It only has limited zoom and is poor in low light but generally outdoors in the daytime it's excellent. I've used it in New York and it's so real when watching it back. I also take it indoor skiing, bike riding etc... I think it was £90.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy