Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New boots are difficult to put on and my feet are cold...

Poster: A snowHead
Don't get me wrong, I do like my new boots. They're shiny and pretty and don't hurt. The whole bootfitting experience has done the trick in that sense.

However, they are an utter pig to put on. Yesterday at Another World, I needed the assistance of three people to heat and pull them sufficiently to open them enough to get my feet in, and even then I yelped with pain as I had to contort and push my feet to get them in. Once on, they are not painful at all, but still feel especially tight fitting. I assumed yesterday was more of a problem than usual as it was so cold, I've only ever put them on indoors before, but it's never been easy.

Is this something that will gradually get easier as the boots get more use, or is there anything I can do to make it easier to put the boots on? I'm conscious of not wanting to hold my ski buddies up on holiday as I yelp and squeeze and curse trying to get my boots on.

Another thing I've noticed is that my previously warm feet are not warm in these boots. I wondered if this was because they are so tight-fitting there is no longer any air circulation around my feet, or maybe they are just made from less insulated materials.

Snobunni has suggested buying warmer socks, which is one option. Just wondered if there are any others. Again, are the boots likely to get 'warmer' as they pack down and lose their tightness?

Forgive me for asking more boot questions... Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen bodecia, I find the same thing, boots very hard to get on, sometimes think I will break my foot trying to force it in. I don't know the solution other than forcing the boot as open as you can with one hand either side and pulling the plastic apart as you try to slide your foot in. Actually one thing that would help is plastic bags, I know from having custom liners heat moulded recently that I had to put my feet is special plastic bags in order to get them into the liners and they did slide in more easily. If there is some way of doing that and then pulling them out once your foot is in Puzzled Or silk socks? Maybe they slide better?

I think though that yesterday was particularly bad as I had more difficulty than usual and I put it down to very cold weather, putting them on outside and being in a standing position. Were you the same? It is a bit better on holiday as you usually put them on in a warm boot room with a bench, not in a freezing car park, well I do normally. I was colder yesterday at Rossendale than I was in LDA at New Year.

Re. cold feet, be certain that the problem is cold feet and not some kind of circulation/nerve compression cutting off sensation and giving you 'numb' toes which you think are numb because of cold but are actually numb because of some compression. I speak from great experience on this particular one Crying or Very sad If you are certain that it is definitely cold then the Thermics/Hotronics heaters help.

Re. warmer socks, they might also be thicker and so the tight fit will then be tighter. Thin socks are usually recommended and the best of the thin socks I have had are Smartwool womens ski racing light and they are warm too.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Get thinner socks. If your boots were heat moulded then they will be tight to begin with and will relax with time, but you need thin socks to go with them, then your circulation will be better and your feet should be warmer. Buying thick sock may well have the opposite effect to that which you were anticipating.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks sarah, Dr John. I do think the problem is more cold than circulation. I can still wiggle my toes (in as far as this is possible in tight boots) although I do get some numbness in my feet and legs due to mild lymphoedema from time to time. I'm careful to keep my boots on loose clip settings to allow for calf swelling which I often suffer from when skiing.

Dr John, my socks are quite thin, I really don't think thicker socks would fit in my boots, they are that tight. But maybe thinner socks with better insulating qualities might help. Snobunni mentioned 'smart wool' socks too, which sound great other than the price tag!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, if you have a better perfoming fit then, unfortunately, the boots will be harder to get on. My boots are absolute pigs to get on, or off, if they're cold.

It's a bit hard to explain, but if the boots are really close fitting then you use your hands to open the lower shell, not the cuff. Angle is also everything.

Personally, I'd recommend lots of practice in a nice warm home.

As Dr John says, thicker socks are not the answer and will probably make things harder / worse rather than better. And as he says, the boots will bed in and you'll need a certain amount of patience / humour whilst they do.

The first thing to try for warmer feet is another layer on your core. Boot heaters are also definitely an option - although they can be quite expensive. I have to use boot heaters because my boots are so cold.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FlyingStantoni, I was toasty warm everywhere yesterday other than my feet. I'm usually not a nesh person and just wear a thin base layer top under my ski jacket and that's it. Yesterday I wore thermal leggings too thinking it might be colder in the UK than an Italian ski resort in March (I was uncomfortably hot in Courmayeur last March).

My feet have never been cold before, it's something to do with these new boots, either the close-fitting-ness or they simply don't insulate as well as my 15-year-old rear-entry Nordicas did.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FlyingStantoni,

Very good pont about the angle of entry (this is a double entendre minefield); get a pointy foot into the neck, hold the boots open, then stand on the other leg and drive the foot down and forward. Practice makes if not perfect then, perfectly acceptable.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
queen bodecia, that's what I meant, what FlyingStantoni says about opening the lower shell, hand each side.

Re. the socks, they are a bit pricy but they don't get whiffy at all and you can dry them on a radiator overnight if they were a bit damp so really could get away with very minimal supply wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I can't do it standing up, I'd end up in a heap on the floor, lol!

Yesterday I had to go inside the hut and sit on a wooden bench (which had a nail in it that ripped my new salopettes, grrr!) but I simply wasn't strong enough to hold my boots open wide enough and push my foot in. I needed lots of assistance. Heaven knows what they thought of me! Laughing
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks sarah, I will investigate these smart wool socks. Admittedly my current socks are hiking compression socks rather than skiing socks. They were cheap (6 pairs for £20) from Mountain Warehouse but I have had them a few years and they are a bit bobbley now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Queen bodecia,

sounds like you have brought some great fitting boots..............they need to be warm to get them on. if you are driving to ski have the boots in the pasenger foot well with the top of the boot facing the air flow and the heaating on full blaste! if not driving have boots near a radiator before putting them on! getting them off is less easy!!! brut force of your or your friends I find is the answer!!!

You can buy heated foot beds that are very good, if expencive the do work and may be a good solution for you!

Smart wool socks are good but don't last long!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I suspect that your sitting position your problem. Sit down to get the boot open and your tootsies in as far as they will go, then you need to stand up in order to get the correct angle to get your heel down and through the boot cuff. Trying to do this sitting down give completely the wrong angle to get your heel down and you're fighting physics, a battle you cannot possibly win. Get your friends to steady you while you stand and drive your heel down yourself. Either way don't sweat it, ski boots are a pig and new ones especially, but you'll get the hang of it, and you only have to go through the palaver once a day.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
queen bodecia, Did you have your boots in the boot of the car when you drove ? If so they would have become cold during the journey.

If you go again try putting them in a footwell inside your car with the heating on them - just to warm them up a little.
Slip a shoe off when you arrive and put a warm boot on sitting on your car seat with the door open, repeat with other boot. Smile If you put cold boots on your feet will be cold all day, warm boots on feet stay warm. Madeye-Smiley As mentioned above thin socks are the way to go.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, I saw K2 decent racing socks in TK Maxx yesterday for £5 they were adult socks on the childrens section, didn't get them as I don't need socks. But something like that would probably be an improvement on your current socks.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I recall julesb struggling to get on his new boots at Sunshine, Banff. We sat in the lodge at the bottom of the mountain for nearly an hour one morning, using the handryer in the loos to warm them up. He has no luck with new equipment. On his first day on his first pair of skis, he disappeared of the edge of a piste, skis ending up all over the place. Fortunatley it wasn't a cliff he disappeared down.
snow report
Helen Beaumont,

I'm reading your post with the theme tune to Laurel and Hardy running around my head. Not sure why...
snow report
Dr John, living with julesb can be a bit like that on occasions Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
queen bodecia, decathlon have some silk socks in at the mo which should be super warm and are very thin, probabaly also nice and slippy to help getting in the boots . . . think they were about £6 a pair so not so expensive, might be worth a try . . .

Bones, the boots were in the pick up bed, which is covered but not heated or insulated like the cab so the boots were very cold, i had the same trouble with my boots, Mr SB had to hold them open whilst i forced my feet in feeling like i was going to break my ankle in the procees.
latest report
Thanks for all the advice folks. If nothing else I'm glad I'm not the only person who finds new boots such a pig. I think snobunni's OH had a quiet chuckle to himself watching us trying to get out of our boots yesterday sprawled around in the snow behind the car.

snobunni, the silk socks in Decathlon sound like a perfect compromise. Might slither down there in the car this afternoon. I'm going to take my salopettes to the dry cleaner/repair place too. My attempts at patching them up might not be sufficient.
latest report
queen bodecia, gaffer tape! As we discussed yesterday its all you need in life . . .plus WD40, baler twine, a potato peeler and clean knickers . . . with that lot you can survive the apocolypse so its more then enough to fashion a repair on your salopettes!
ski holidays
snobunni, PMSL! Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
queen bodecia, Clearly if you can get the boot warm the plastic will give a bit and they might be easier to put on. With this in mind it might be worth investing in a boot fryer/warmer to leave in them over night, also if you are driving any distance IIRC it is also possible to get one that can be powered from the cigarette lighter socket in the car. Another thing I notice with my wellies which are also on the tight side of things is that they are harder to get on if I have socks on that are slightly warm/damp from being in other shoes. Changing into your ski socks as close to putting on the boots as possible so you have nice dry feet/socks might also be helpful.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, I do feel for you reading all this - my boots are new this year, zipfits, footbeds etc all done by the renowned CEM and for the first week of so they were so very difficult to get on, and that was in the privacy of our own place. Took a good ten minutes of sweating and cursing. They are absolutely fine now, but I always put them on warm from the boot warmer thing we have. Even if we are heading off in the car somewhere I put my boots on in the chalet and then I am done. OH used to then have to get his on when cold even after putting in the footwell, but this year he has a new car with socket thingie in the rear so he has bought warmers for the car - not huge expense about £20 on ebay I think - and he now has warmer boots when we arrive somewhere.

I sit down to start off putting my foot in - and then stand up to complete the process. Also put my foot in at a sideways angle and that seems to help. I am not getting cold feet either when skiing in them. I am sure that after a few more attempts they will become easier, but warmth will definitely help.
snow report
Megamum, that's a good point. My feet were a bit damp yesterday trying to put the boots on. That won't have helped with the cold problem either.
snow report
Thanks Pamski, going skiing in the car is pretty much limited to UK excursions either to snowdomes or Another World like yesterday. Under normal circumstances I'd be putting my boots on in a locker room in resort somewhere. They're usually pretty cold and sometimes still damp from the day before. Don't really see a way of avoiding this. Most locker rooms aren't heated all that well, nor are there plug sockets to use boot heaters.

Hence my worry. Cold, potentially damp boots every morning could be a bit of a mare.
snow conditions
OF course you can avoid it. Take the liners out of your boots each evening, and take them up to your room to dry out. Wipe the dampness out of the shell with some tissues, and once all the snow has melted off them, sneak them up to your room so that the shell is nice and warm for the morning. IF they are warm and dry each day, your feet will be too.
snow conditions
Oh, and don't forget to remove the footbeds from the shell, and allow them to dry out too.
ski holidays
I can't get the liners in or out of the boots. Nor do I really want to carry them about with me after skiing (we normally walk back to the hotel via a few bars, hic!). In fairness, the locker room in Courmayeur had boot heaters last season, but that's a bit of a rarity I think.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia, you should be able to do so quite easily with a bit of practice. It certainly solves my problem of cold feet. Do it when you get back to the hotel, why would you need to carry them around with you?
snow report
queen bodecia, Another thing worth trying is take your ski jacket off before you put your boots on , this allows you to be more flexible whilst standing to insert the foot. I find that this does make a difference when the boots are difficult to put on.
ski holidays
Sorry, didn't make myself very clear. I and my ski buddies tend to use equipment lockers at the lift base station as accommodation is invariably a long walk or even a bus ride away. No one wants to do that in ski boots and carrying skis. These lockers are very convenient, but often not particularly heated (the boot heaters in Courmayeur were the first time I've seen this facility). So the usual routine is to keep après boots in the lockers all day, then switch at the end of the day, walking or bussing back to the hotel via a bar or three. Not really conducive to carrying boot liners about, but if I was strong enough to get the liners out of my boots, it may be worth a try.
ski holidays
queen bodecia, I would never, ever, leave my boots in a locker overnight. Unless there are heated boot racks available, mine go by the radiator in my room to dry out and stay warm. Cold damp boots will always be a nightmare to put on, and leave you with cold feet all day. I've always apres skied in my boots (is there any other way? Madeye-Smiley ) and worn them back to wherever I'm staying.
snow report
queen bodecia wrote:
Sorry, didn't make myself very clear. I and my ski buddies tend to use equipment lockers at the lift base station as accommodation is invariably a long walk or even a bus ride away. No one wants to do that in ski boots and carrying skis. These lockers are very convenient, but often not particularly heated (the boot heaters in Courmayeur were the first time I've seen this facility). So the usual routine is to keep après boots in the lockers all day, then switch at the end of the day, walking or bussing back to the hotel via a bar or three. Not really conducive to carrying boot liners about, but if I was strong enough to get the liners out of my boots, it may be worth a try.

You are right, this is not a good situation for your boots being warm and dry in a morning Sad I think there are some things you can put in them to dry them, they are not powered IIRC, they absorb moisture, see if I can find them, that would be better than nothing. And maybe the heaters too as you could whack them on to full power for a few mins to pre-heat them. Decathlon were selling them off cheap at the end of last season. Keep your eyes open.
ski holidays
RachelQ, I don't think I could manage a 20 minute walk in ski boots, plus I think most hotels don't allow boots in your room, although some seem to have equipment rooms or garages. In Courmayeur last season, the hotel was a 3km bus ride, plus a gondola and a walk to the main lift area. Definitely not feasible to do all that with equipment. This season my hotel is a 20 minute walk or 5 minute bus ride from the main lifts, so it's a bit better. And it might be feasible to take my boots liners out and stash them in my pockets if I can get the knack of doing so. So far every attempt has not succeeded. It's the same problem as getting my boots on, I'm just not strong enough to open them sufficiently.
latest report
queen bodecia, hmmm, I agree, a 20 minute walk is a bit serious in ski boots. We've not had a problem in hotels with boots in our room, we take them off at the entrance and just carry them up - I don't see how they can complain at that? I'm not sure that just taking the liners out but leaving the shells in a cold place overnight is going to work - I think it will be much harder getting the liners back in if the shells are very cold and less pliable.
snow conditions
queen bodecia, walk in them or leave them?

Is carrying them in a nice cozy -warm- boot bag completely out then? Laughing

queen bodecia wrote:

However, they are an utter pig to put on. Yesterday at Another World, I needed the assistance of three people to heat and pull them sufficiently to open them enough to get my feet in, and even then I yelped with pain as I had to contort and push my feet to get them in. Once on, they are not painful at all, but still feel especially tight fitting. I assumed yesterday was more of a problem than usual as it was so cold, I've only ever put them on indoors before, but it's never been easy.

Pull the tongue of the boot out to the side, not straight out.
snow conditions
I'll just have to see what the facilities are like in resort this season. You never know, I might find heated boot lockers again.

The idea of carrying back to the hotel in the boot bag is not a bad one either, although I'd have to be very careful not to have too many glühweins on the way back and forget them!
latest report
sarah, I think these are what you were referring to. I don't know how good they are, but could well be better than nothing.
ski holidays
Butterfly, that looks useful, thanks. I like the way it says it's good for drying motorcycle leathers too!

Has anyone used these things?
latest report
Cat litter in an old pair of tights will do the same job.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy