Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I'm hooked - my first day on skis!

Poster: A snowHead
Well I've just returned from a day's lesson at Sheffield Ski Village and found a big fat blister on the inside of my foot. Lovely. Still, here's the day report.

Started at midday and saw that the nursery slope where we'd be spending our day was white with not a single bit of matting showing through. By the time we'd started on the slope, it was 1.30pm. I was in a group with six others and we were all stewarded by David the instructor.

At first I thought this was going to be one sport which defeated me. I could barely stand up without inadvertently sliding backwards or forwards. Then I worked out how to counter this and was standing steadier than most. We began by side-stepping up (great fun!) the slope and then doing really gentle snowplough skiing. I found this uncomfortable and awkward until I learnt to really lower myself down. Being 6' 3", I really had to crouch but it made it so much more stable when I did it right.

After a couple of hours of snowploughing, I got the hang of it and could descend really, really slowly and stop neatly. Which felt nice. After a short hot chocolate break (the BEST hot chocolate!) we returned to try snowplough turns. I find these really awkward and ended up doing what I think are parallel turns as snowplough turns didn't move me enough.

By the end, with me still struggling with the snowplough turns, I was losing my course a little so threw my legs to the side to turn and found myself turning as well as I could possibly have done - like skiers do when they've finished their run - and that was me sold on the sport. There was gentle, polite applause from the top of the slope where my fellow learners were standing.

What got me hooked? The sound and feel of the snow as you turn or snowplough - it really crunches and it's such a satisfying noise.

I'm back tomorrow for another four hours - hopefully I can progress to the main slope (which has slightly less snow on it so I'll be skiing on matting probably) and begin to gain the control to keep my skis as slow as I want them to be.

What fun this whole lark is! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Astraeus, Yep, definitely sounds like your hooked - welcome to the addiction! Toofy Grin

And it gets worse - you'll find that you're constantly thinking about skiing and when you can get your next fix. Laughing

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 9-01-10 22:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Commiserations, Astraeus, but at least you have access to the support group. wink
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Astraeus, Fantastic. You have a whole new world opened up to you.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Astraeus, It's all downhill from now on. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Astraeus, Awesome, if you are going to be addicted to something then I can't think of anything better. After my wife and kids I think it is probably the most important thing in my life! Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Welcome to the most expensive addiction in the world snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Astraeus, Welcome to the addicted, skip all the in between stuff and buy a chalet in a ski resort now! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Alastair Pink wrote:
And it gets worse - you'll find that you're constantly thinking about about skiing and when you can get your next fix. Laughing

I've already had that thought. I was thinking "what now?" and that's knowing I've got another four hours tomorrow. I was distraught today when, after two hours, the instructor said "we need a break" because I was chafing at the bit.

Still, there is more snow forecast for tonight and tomorrow so hopefully the main slope will be less matting, more powder, and I'll get a real taste of the Alps. After tomorrow I'll have the real sinking feeling of knowing it'll be many more weeks before I ski on snow...unless I can convince a few mates to join me at the ski village before it all melts.

As for longer term, I'll be eyeing up every available opportunity with friends and on SnowHeads to find some point at which I can get away and do it for real!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:
less matting, more powder
- excellent : searching out the POW already Laughing great stuff: welcome to the addiction snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Astraeus, Yes, welcome to the land of the snow addicts! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Astraeus, At least crack doesn't have a bloody forum Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Astraeus, Now all your non-skiing friends will think you're mad; scanning webcams in autumn, studying resort reviews, watching ski videos on You Tube and walking round ski wear shops in summer to ease the pain - your life will never be the same - it's brill! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Countdown begins to first ski trip now Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sharon1953, I've been watching ski videos for about six months - they thought it was even more peculiar of me to do so having never skied so hopefully that makes me more sane now! Actually, the same goes for resort reviews and finding bargain ski holidays. Hmm, maybe this was a good step in the right direction for making my friends think I'm normal again...

elgrego, it does indeed. Going to try my hardest to get out after exams in March.

As for more pressing matters, it's time for a good night's sleep and then starting it all again at the Ski Village tomorrow.

Quick question though: how shall I deal with this blister on my foot? Puzzled
snow report
sharon1953, And on top of that name your house after your favourite mountain in a ski resort and your son after a famous skier like I did! Smile
snow report
Astraeus, Don't use the same boots - protect the blister as best you can without increasing the pressure, something like a corn plaster that has a cut out middle. I know it's difficult when you are using hire boots, there is never enough choice at ski centres, unlike ski shops in the resorts which usually have plenty to go at, but don't use any that have pressure spots.
snow conditions
Astraeus, Buy yourself some boots that fit. You clearly have it bad and there is no way out. It will soon save you money with resort hire prices being what they are. Properly fitting boots are a must.

snowHead
latest report
Astraeus, glad you had a great time. We saw Sheffield Ski Village on the way back from Another World yesterday. It looked quite steep from a distance!

Enjoy today!
snow report
Chris Bish, Agree so so much, if there is one piece of advice I wish I had been given 14 years ago, it was get yourself boots that really fit your feet. I never realised how much my skiing was being compromised by the boots I wore, until I got ones that really fitted, then suddenly everything changed! Top of the list above everything else!
snow conditions
Quote:

Astraeus, Now all your non-skiing friends will think you're mad; scanning webcams in autumn, studying resort reviews, watching ski videos on You Tube and walking round ski wear shops in summer to ease the pain - your life will never be the same - it's brill!

And I thought I was the only one who did that?!

Astraeus, Welcome to snowHead and the wallet depleteing addiction.
snow report
Day two. And I can ski...kind of. Smile

Just had my second four-hour session on the slopes and, after an hour or so, I was linking snowplough turns and doing what felt like breakneck speeds down the piste. Alas it was not quite breakneck but I was informed my progress was pretty good.

I used a home-made corn plaster - adhesive wadding stuck down tighter by microporous tape and it stopped the blister becoming increasingly painful but didn't prevent it bursting again. It's alright though as I'll now give it some time off before caning it again!

I've heard that shoes are a must-buy. Today I was given a pair which really didn't fit and I was able to shift my ankle and heel around as much as I liked. So I was given the same boots as yesterday and, though I could feel the pressure on the same points (just below my inside ankle), it seemed secure and tight and I'd rather a blister than a broken leg.

I'm nigh on certain that I'm going to stick with this sport so when's the best time to buy shoes cheaply? Do I wait for Spring/Summer sales? I'm in no rush as, at present, I have no plans to go on a skiing holiday. Also, do I look for particular brands or models or do I just buy some cheap ones and get them custom-fitted?

EDIT: I also had an embarrassing collapse on my second run up on the button lift. The shame of it... Laughing

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 10-01-10 20:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Astraeus, you can get cheaper deals at the end of the season - but boots are probably the area where looking for discounts is least important, and finding someone who can fit them well is most important. Brands and models are less important than how the shape of your feet relates to the boots. As you are relatively early in your ski career - you need to let them know that - as it will alter the stiffness of the boot they should sell you, and the type of fit they aim for.

Compeed blister plasters are highly recommended by many.
snow conditions
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Welcome to the most expensive addiction in the world snowHead snowHead snowHead

You havent lived that much................ Laughing
ski holidays
I LIVE IN HAWAII AND GO SKIING 2 WEEKS EVERY YEAR, MY TRIP IS IN LATE MARCH EARLY APRIL,AND IT IS DRIVING ME MAD.THAT IS HOW I FOUND THIS SITE.PRACTICE PUTING YOUR SKIS TOGETHER,FORGET THE PIZZA BULL.THAT WILL JUST SLOW YOUR LEARNING CURVE DOWN BY PRACTICING SOMETHING YOU WONT USE.ITS A LOT LIKE WATERSKIING.
snow conditions
C.WELSH wrote:
I LIVE IN HAWAII AND GO SKIING 2 WEEKS EVERY YEAR, MY TRIP IS IN LATE MARCH EARLY APRIL,AND IT IS DRIVING ME MAD.THAT IS HOW I FOUND THIS SITE.PRACTICE PUTING YOUR SKIS TOGETHER,FORGET THE PIZZA BULL.THAT WILL JUST SLOW YOUR LEARNING CURVE DOWN BY PRACTICING SOMETHING YOU WONT USE.ITS A LOT LIKE WATERSKIING.

Okay...thanks. That's really...useful to know. Confused
snow report
Astraeus, I predict you'll be on a snowHeads bash by the end of next season at the latest Laughing How does the EoSB this season grab you? Wink

Astraeus wrote:
I also had an embarrassing collapse on my second run up on the button lift. The shame of it... Laughing

We've all done it... Embarassed
snow report
stoatsbrother wrote:
Astraeus, you can get cheaper deals at the end of the season - but boots are probably the area where looking for discounts is least important, and finding someone who can fit them well is most important. Brands and models are less important than how the shape of your feet relates to the boots. As you are relatively early in your ski career - you need to let them know that - as it will alter the stiffness of the boot they should sell you, and the type of fit they aim for.

Compeed blister plasters are highly recommended by many.

Boots look expensive. But getting them fitted looks even more so! If I'm going to a boot fitter to get the boots and have them fitted, how much should I expect to be spending?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Astraeus, I know what you are going through. After my first lessons at Tamworth Snowdome I was itching to go skiing and counted down every day to my holiday. I have just returned from my first trip to La Plagne and I have never been so misserable after a holiday. I loved it and did not want to come home. To make matters worse I can not fit another trip in this year which only compounded my misery. Just wait until you get on a real mountain.

Quote:

I also had an embarrassing collapse on my second run up on the button lift. The shame of it...

That is nothing. Whilst in La Plagne, on the first day, I was on a nursery slope and made a right idiot of myself on a small drag lift. I fell over in front of about 20 four year old kids. I have simply accepted that from time to time i will do something stupid. On the last day I only fell over once down a blue run so thing do get better. Very Happy
ski holidays
Astraeus, I'd wait until you've had a least one skiing holiday before you buy ski boots or lots of other kit, you might hate the cold or the lifts or one of another dozen things. Ask my gf ... Sad
snow report
Astraeus, I'd agree with WayneC on that. Boots are a good investment, but I'd wait till after your first trip at least. As for falling down on the button lift, I've done that a few times, mainly because I get bored, start mucking about going up on one ski at a time, then not actually paying attention. It's rather embarrasing, you've just gotta perfect the "Fall, roll over, ski off without stopping" technique Laughing Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Astraeus,

Quote:

I also had an embarrassing collapse on my second run up on the button lift. The shame of it...

That is nothing. On her first ever nursery drag lift in Courchevel 1650 my wife forgot to let go and wiped to whole lift electrical system out for 2 hours.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy