Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier - l'alpaga

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi All

First post after reading the forum for a few weeks. Great info on here!

Going the Serre Chevalier on the 17th and cant wait given the snow condition. Staying at the l'alpaga apts in Villenuve (sp). Does anybody know where its located and what the best lift is up the mountain? I've also been reading about the areas to ski; some say Monetier is the best others say Chantemerle/Villenuve. Any advise on runs etc from those that are there or have been?

Also been told about the Porridge trail/route but cant find anything on the web about it. Have any of you heard of it?

Also is it really worth taking time out to travel to the other resorts that are on the pass..........or do I just stay in SC

Cheers
Gaz_H
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Gaz_H, the Alpaga apartments are in Villeneuve, just next to the Pra Long shopping centre, and close to Pontillas and Frejus lifts (pontillas closest). Snow is fantastic out there at the moment (we just left on Thursday morning), so the whole area should be good, and the pistes are quiet.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gaz_H, welcome to snowHeads snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Gaz_H, welcome to snowHeads snowHead I'm sure SC will have more than enough terrain to ski without going to other resorts - each of the 4 main towns have runs of merit and it's perfectly possible to link between them. The resort ski bus is regular (free with pass), running through the valley should you find yourself in one place with insufficient time/energy to ski back. Not sure exactly how long into the evening it runs, though I'm sure one of the SC regulars can provide that info.

Have a great time - it's a superb place.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gaz_H, the ski bus runs all day, and there is now an evening service. The timetable is here http://www.serre-chevalier.com/IMG/pdf/Serre_Chevalier_bus_time_2010.pdf . They had night buses running until 3am at New Year.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Welcome Gaz_H, Serre Che is a great resort with plenty to do for a week. I preferred the Monetier end, it's higher, and Cucumelle is a great run. The last run down to Villeneuve at the end of the day got a bit crowded and porridgy but that depend on how busy it is and the temp... Try to do the complete circuit itinerary...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gaz_H, the Crystal brochure mentions the porridge run, but I have no idea where it is, and I've skied there each winter for about 8 years, sometimes 3 times a season.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IIRC there are 3 runs to Villeneuve Aravet, Marteau and Casse de Beauf - only remember the latter being black. Not sure on the other two - blue?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Chasseur, there is now also Le Bez , which will be the nearest to Alpagag, (a red ? run down to the Pontillas gondola and Le Bez), Aravet is green and Marteau blue.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gaz_H, we stayed in one of the Alpaga apartments in December 2008. Ours was well maintained & warm, they all have balconies as far as I could see and are of an average size for French hutches. They are sub let to the T.O's by P&V.

Their location is good on the Monetier side of Villeneuve just a short walk from the quaint old town and the shops and bars in the modern centre. There are lockable lockers downstairs and I think there were only 3 storeys. Don't bother with the shuttle buses unless they turn up just as you get off the lift, it's really not worth the wait and even with children in tow, they are only 10 minutes walk to either of the lifts that Helen mentioned. We were on a budget and finished the day with (relatively) cheap food, beer and coke in the Grotte at the other end of town before a hazy stroll back for wine and more junk food in the apartment.

The Casse du Bouef is a lovely run through the trees long but not tough by any means. It shouldn't really merit a black grade even when stony and icy as we experienced it in December.

Serre Chevalier is a great resort and I'd be happy to go back there again. Little Angel

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Sat 9-01-10 23:04; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, now you mention it, I think I remember a run called Le Bez. Doesn't Marteau cross Casse de Beauf somewhere near the bottom? The blue is quite a nice run for beginners to progress to, though I took that wrong turn onto C d B which was a little disconcerting as a 3/4 day skier Shocked Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur, yes, I took the sane worng turn onto a very churned up CDB too. I had skied for more than three or four days, but it was still disconcerting. Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi all, just wondered if anyone had stayed at Chalet Montalembert in Villeneuve? Heading out to SC on the 17th too, can not wait!!! Snow looks amazing!

Great to get a few local tips!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cheers everybody for the tips and advice

Cant wait to get there now Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy