Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach in a week (16th Jan) - what are the musts?

Poster: A snowHead
Can't wait - we will be in Saalbach in 7 days time!!!!

Are there any SH's who have been Saalbach and have any recommendation for things we must ski, drink, eat, party at and no miss?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
steak at magic peter on friday night
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For apres the Goassstall in Hinterglem is a hoot - http://www.goass.at/winter_index.php#. On the mountain I really like the Thurneralm, it has a great terrace and really made me smile when I saw the sign saying Stiegl, E2.50. A seriously good price for a beer especially up a mountain (it is over E3.50 in Vienna!) - that was two years ago mind.

Skiing is very pleasant all over, but especially so down through the trees on Kohlmaiskopf. Hochalm is nice when it has snowed a lot. And if you are up for a long steep black then definitely have a look at the Nordabfahrt. And do head down towards Leogang if the snow is good.

You'll have a great time.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
nozawaonsen, this Thurneralm by any chance? Wink http://ian-kirwin.fotopic.net/p45281946.html The food is fantastic in here too

blondends, If you aren't gonna go the goatstall every night for apres, hit Bauers which is just at the bottom of the slopes in the village. Nearest thing to it on the Saalbach side. Saalbach is fantastic, you'll love it!!!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Charlatanefc, that'd be the one! Step up for a Stiegl... wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
nozawaonsen, just the one? We used to have a skinfull in there for the journey down to Bauers Wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
All the skiing is great. The whole circuit is only about 4-5 hours and must be done. The trip down to Leogang is a pleasant blue and well worth it. very nice resort with some lovely slopes. I don't know if you are up to speed with Austrian style apres, but the form is stright off the slopes into a schirm bar. A beer or six with a Jager meister or three to follow and stagger back to chalet or hotel for food. If still conscious, go out for a drink. Plenty of bars and ufn to be had everywhere.

Skiing wise, don't miss the 7km number 2. But all the skiing is good and the snow looks fine.

Top resort.

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Charlatanefc, Don't forget the London Bar in Hinterglemm, always seemed to be the last ones out of there Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
blytht, forget it? I usually can't remember being in there Wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good stuff - exactly what I was hoping for!!!

I heard about a restaurant that collects you in a piste basher to take you up to it in the mountains - you eat, drink then toboggan back down to Saalbach. Has anyone heard of this or tried it? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
blondends, heard of it but cant remember. Sure you'll find summat if you ask at the lift office, or ski school etc
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
blondends wrote:

I heard about a restaurant that collects you in a piste basher to take you up to it in the mountains - you eat, drink then toboggan back down to Saalbach. Has anyone heard of this or tried it? Or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

Nope you are spot on, and it is amazing fun, although the turn around is pretty quick, you eat your meal have a few drinks and then they send you packing, but its about 3km's on sledges back down the mountain (it follows a narrow track that has lights on every 100yrds or so)

it is one of those life experiences you never ever forget, there was 24 off us all sleding down this track, just amazing, infact amazing doesnt come close. It wouldn't be allowed in this country by health and safety
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sandy77uk wrote:
blondends wrote:

Nope you are spot on, and it is amazing fun, although the turn around is pretty quick, you eat your meal have a few drinks and then they send you packing, but its about 3km's on sledges back down the mountain (it follows a narrow track that has lights on every 100yrds or so)

it is one of those life experiences you never ever forget, there was 24 off us all sleding down this track, just amazing, infact amazing doesnt come close. It wouldn't be allowed in this country by health and safety

The Spielberghaus is at the top of the sledging track - is that it?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chrisdavis, has he stopped directing films now then? Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dont get dragged into playing some ridiculous game where you have to do something to do with hitting nails. The prize seemed to be buying everyone else a drink. I have only vague memories of this game however, someone else may know what I'm talking about better than I do! I think said game happens at the pub at the top of the toboggan track...
latest report
snowgirl123, it's an Austrian thing. You have to hammer the nail in with the pointed end of the ice hammer. Last to do it buys the drinks
snow conditions
Happens all over that part of Austria, great fun!!! Very Happy
snow report
Hit Bauers for apres skiin Saalbach. If you want a steep icey black, I find the run down from the top of Schattberg to be fairly challenging. Blue 2b or something from Shattberg to the bottom of the schonleitenbahn (or something like that) usually provides fun bumps and variable snow. If it snows there's also good potential under the schonleiten, but when I was working there over xmas there wasn't anywhere near enough snow. The kebab bar (hotdog stand type affair) near Stamperl pizzeria (but NOT the one in stamperl) is ace if you want late night food. If you want to be a lame touristy type, head to Bobby's bar.
latest report
Quote:

Happens all over that part of Austria, great fun!!!

It's banging a nail into a tree stump with the wrong end of a hammer! Hardly my idea of "fun"?

nozawaonsen, you need to get out more.
latest report
You obviously didn't have your hourly Jager ration then. Sucks to be yooooooouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu
snow conditions
Here is part from the "circle" in 3D by Google Earth http://sportypal.com/Workouts/Details/135455, the whole ski map: http://cache.skiinfo.com/skimaps/maps/EATXSAALBACH.jpg
snow report
I'm joining a bit late to advise blondends but can confirm that the Spielberghaus is the one for the toboggan evening. Read all about it in this article, published ny MSN News a few years ago:
http://www.budgettravel.com/bt-dyn/content/article/2005/06/04/AR2005060400770_2.html

Nice to see that there are a few Goassstall/Bauers/Thurneralm devotees, but I can also highly recommend the Happy Hour (2 drinks for the price of one and a great party atmosphere) from 3.40 - 4.30pm at the Bergeralm, which is about 200 yards away from the Thurneralm. On the way down from there to Bauers after a few drinks, call at the Hinterhagalm, where the party should be in full swing. The Hinterhagalm is at the top of the nursery slopes and has the motto, "Jeden Tag Hinterhag", which many people take to heart.

You won't be playing Nageln (the thing with the hammer) in any of these places - dancing on the tables more like!
snow conditions
P.S. Best black - Number 14 Zwolferkogel Nord (Not for the faint-hearted but very satisfying)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy