Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Telemark or Off Piste

Poster: A snowHead
I can ski plenty well enough on piste and am really only taking the odd lesson to have someone from the outside tidy up bad habits and technique, but my girlfriend is at the transition point from snowplough to parallel. She can parallel, but confidence is holding her back. Will ski any piste and am more than confident with high speed carving, moguls etc

At the moment we have an arrangement that works well. She has morning lessons and I go skiing hard and fast or whatever takes my fancy while she is in lessons and then I ski with her in the afternoons.

This year we arranged for an off piste lesson for me and a mate but due to snow conditions it fell through. This got me wondering, as Rach wouldnt be up for skiing with me off piste anyway, would I be better learning something new. As I cant be bothered with all the messing around that snowboarding brings, I wondered about learning to telemark ski.

Is it hard to transfer skills/learn to do it? Will learning this mean that we ski at a more similar pace than teh current disparity?

cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
imull, I felt like a total beginner when I tried telemarking, though others had a little more finesse than me. I am sure this would be a good answer to bridging your skills gap, or maybe snowboarding ?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
imull, telemark!

Not only will put you right back to the stage your girlfriend is at, but it'll also improve your alpine skiing as it requires you to cross-over properly and get edge engagement early in the turn. That willingness to commit will feed right back into your alpine.

There's no getting away from the fact that telemarking isn't easy - even if you're a good alpine skier. There's a level of subtlety and physicality that you just don't get in most alpine skiing.

The good news, though, is that you can always revert to alpine turns to get down things you're not ready for. Although even alpining on telemark kit is much more tiring than skiing on alpine kit as you've got to have the reflexes of a cat to avoid going over the handlebars - especially if you hit a bump.

Personally, I think it's the most rewarding thing I've done on snow.

Oh, and there's an outside chance that you'll end up looking cool Toofy Grin

If you search for "telemark" and my user name then you'll find the threads / experiences from a couple of years ago when I started telemarking.

I'm still not great, but it's been fun and rewarding learning.

And next week I'm skiing with some friends who aren't very good (in one case) or brave (in the other) alpine skiers. So I'll be telemarking to slow me down. They'll be waiting for me.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers guys. Will look into telemark skiing, especially if it will continue tidying up the bad habits picked up in Alpine skiing.

I have snowboarded in the past and loved it, but not as much as skiing. It is a complete and utter pain in the backside to get about. You are left hopping along if it gets flat, lifts in general and especially button tows are a hassle. Far too much messing around for the return in my opinion

As for looking cool, thats a big ask at the best of times Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
FlyingStantoni wrote:
imullIf you search for "telemark" and my user name then you'll find the threads / experiences from a couple of years ago when I started telemarking.

Interesting threads there with a few different styles that are acceptable it would seem. Off to lie down and rest my poor brain after reading some of it Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
bad news as far as I can see if you telemark and alpine is lugging 2 pairs of boots and 2 pairs of skis with you on holiday.......
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The good news, though, is that you can always revert to alpine turns to get down things you're not ready for. Although even alpining on telemark kit is much more tiring than skiing on alpine kit as you've got to have the reflexes of a cat to avoid going over the handlebars - especially if you hit a bump.

I've never found doing parallel turns on tele kit any harder than doing parallel turns on alpine kit except where the piste is sheet ice with drifts of deep powder in viz where yuo can't see the pwder drifts. Mind you its several years since I last nailed my heels down.

Go for tele skiing - you'l neer want to go back to restrictive alpine kit Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
For many people off piste skiing is the ultimate ski experience. Yes it would be fun to learn to telemark, but not at the expense of learning to ski off piste!!
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and when you get good at telemark you can do it off-piste too - and really look cool!

As a rubbish boarder I sympathise with drags being a hassle. But good boarders don't seem to have the slightest problem with any kind of lifts. Just hop on, phone the girl friend, ride switch for a bit if it gets boring.....

Learning to telemark sounds like a good idea to even up your abilities - though you might find you need expensive private lessons. I've not seen many telemark groups (saw a great group of kids recently though, doing really well). I'm too old and worn out to start, but I enjoy watching telemarkers.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm with beanie1 on this one, I think once you learn to ski off piste it's like the keys to another World (ok that's a bit naff) but you won't want to do anything else, I have zero interest in going anywhere near a piste unless it takes me back to a lift and there's no question that in time your other half will be able to do it as well. I can board and have tried telemarking which I loved so no reason why you can't try everything!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tele off piste it's the only way to go with the boots nowadays it's very easy to learn and very easy to fall back on alpine skills when desired. Now you want a challenge get some ankle high leather boots and some skinny skis that will slow you down. Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Telemark AND Off-piste. 'nuff said snowHead
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
your chick will dig you much more once you tele Cool
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

your chick will

have to
Quote:

dig you

out !
Quote:

much more once you tele
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sorry, been having internet issues. hate computers...

sadly cant ever see her coming off piste properly. She is happy going off piste to cut through to other runs but thats about it I think. Could be doing her a disservice but only time will tell. Certainly hope she would like to come OP in the future...

Not too fussed about private lesson costs. ESF charge about E35/hour for lessons. Couple of hours a day is bearable at that when its learning something new
ski holidays
imull, once the GF is ready, getting a good instructor taking her off piste might be your best bet. Usually works better than couples teaching each other + they have experience bringing this to beginners (fun/technique)...
ski holidays
imull, telemark is ideal for your situation.

I now tele about half the time - basically whenever I ski on piste with my wife and family- so that we can all have a great time together. Previously I'd be in trouble for not stopping/too fast etc etc etc. Now, when I tele my 8 year old wants me to go faster/stop less (mind you he is quite fast). We all stay together, at the same speed. I stop and wonder if death will be fast or horribly drawn out. I burn a lot of calories and my thighs get punished (this is also good as I am basically fat and lazy).

Tele skiing is harder than alpine and much more physical- but it is also about balance - and finding it. When you do get your balance it is a lot less tiring and sweaty (but still tiring and sweaty). I still ski alpine off piste.

Off piste wouldn't be so sociable as you'd just get into trouble with the Mrs for 1. skiing too fast on piste and leaving her behind as now and also 2. getting up extra early then going off with an off piste group leaving her to ski alone all morning and then 3. spending the afternoons skiing between the pistes not with her.

Carrying gear is an issue, a second set of skis/boots/bindings. But we do that in a big way. A buggy, my alpine skis & boots, my tele skis and boots,, mrs eds skis and boots, oldest sons skis and boots, 3 kids, underpants for middle child (that is a lot of pants), baby. Oh what fun I have in Geneva.

Mrs imull may also object to the expense of new tele gear; skis (not necessarily dear- can use old alpine skis if you have some) bindings (new about £130, secnd hand- £35-60 will get you something) but mostly boots £ a lot- since the pounds horrible fall against the euro tele boots are astronomicaly expensive- about 400 for a pair for all mountain use. I'd keep that bit a secret. THat is not including a costing for a llama hat. But I think that really you should knit that yourself. Smile
snow conditions
Wow - it seems I'd completely missed that some people might find telemark cool Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

but mostly boots £ a lot- since the pounds horrible fall against the euro tele boots are astronomicaly expensive- about 400 for a pair for all mountain use.

I paid £220 for my teleboots from mountainspirit last year Crispi CXPs and I see Rob has the same boot, but with thermo liners for the same price on sale now:
http://www.mountainspirit.co.uk/shop/productdetail.asp?referer=telemark&productId=76
latest report
imull, I've just bought skis and bindings and am waiting for my boots to arrive for Tele. I started last spring and loved it, so I'm splashing out. I didnt really have balance issues, but did find the whole business quite scary! By the time you're good enough on your tele's to go off piste on them your GF will also be ready to go off piste, so you can do it together. Very Happy
snow report
am i the only freak who finds it easier (and more succssful!) to tele off-piste in the deep stuff than on-piste?? still very much learning, but have found that (unexpectedly) to be the case Puzzled Laughing
ski holidays
barry, Seems to work better for me in soft snow or bumps too.. wink
snow conditions
ed123 wrote:
THat is not including a costing for a llama hat. But I think that really you should knit that yourself. Smile

A "proper" telemarker would start with buying a llama wink
ski holidays
barry, you're a freak!

And you ski snowHead
latest report
easiski - good to hear that you're still enjoying it.

My first proper attempt at skiing variable on telemarks was a car crash. The next day I skied alpine and it was still a car crash. I just suck in the variable... Embarassed
snow report
ojilles, dont do teaching and she is one - fast track to an argument, as I reckon most of the wee darlings she has need a good leathering wink Laughing

ed123, sounds like you and I are in exactly the same position, less kids. I need to loose the belly and slow down a bit to ski more with the missus. It works well that I ski with others in the morning then with her in the afternoon (when knackered so going slow isnt so bad Embarassed ) Up until now, we rent boots and ski's etc. I have done a bit of digging and it looks like I can rent some tele stuff, if I give enough warning and at a cost comapared to Alpine, which is understandable. At the moment, I can't quite justify the costs of buying outright as I hope to move South this year at which point we will be looking to buy houses and other such sensible (boring) stuff... Perhaps in a couple of years, when I will manage to sneak more than a week or so a year I will look again at it. Certainly, cost wise it doesnt even stack up to buy Alpine kit at the moment.

At the moment, I have a good day if not two, of travelling each side of a ski trip just to get from the airport to my house, so weekend breaks or multiple trips aren't an option.

Having said that, my primary hobby is rallying and if you think skiing is expensive Shocked The entire weeks holiday over Christmas for myself would just about pay for me to do a 1 day 45mile forest rally in my car Shocked Cant quite beat doing 100mph+ through the trees though Toofy Grin You're boots wouldnt even pay the entry fee this year Shocked Remind me again why I do it Puzzled

easiski, that is the cunning plan. Now to put it in motion. Fortunatley, I have always been very good at picking up new sports and skills. Balance has never really been an issue and I have very good coordination which has saved my skin a few times...
ski holidays
Blummen heck, that tele gear's pricey! I've been starting to delude myself that I might give it a go but by baby jesus and mary, it's even expensive to rent.
snow report
imull,

Your in scotland - there are five ski resorts local to you with very good snow at the moment. So why can't you do weekend or even day trips? For Cairngorm you could hire tele kit from mountainspirit in aveimore.

Just read your scotland post - not so easy if your on Mull.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would love to but as you noticed I am on Mull so ferries are the key. To be fair, this year they aren't as bad as they used to be, but can still be pretty limiting. I will need to look into it in more closely.

I would be looking at around about £150 for a days skiing, as I would need to do B&B as well.
ski holidays
Went to Nevis today. Got about 4 hours in for 95 quid all in. Can obviously get more time in but need to look at B&B's if I stretch it any more than 1 hour. It starts getting very expensive to throw in a couple of hours of lessons, B&B etc...

I enquired about Telemark and was told that there are several people there who can teach telemark but it all seemed a little bit vague. Will try on the phone when I next think I can get over to ski, so may be Glen Coe or wherever...
ski holidays
I'm afraid I'm self taught, but if you come over to www.winterhighland.info and ask there you'll get some good suggestions for local telemark instruction.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy